Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2015, 08:39 AM   #21

I turn it on as soon as we get it home from the storage place, typically about 48 hours or so before we leave. One of my reasons is that I'd rather know if it's not working. We also load it up and run it on propane during the trips.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:17 PM   #22

My trailer is in my back yard and is always hooked up to 120v power. Turn fridge on 24 hours before leaving. Pack it the day we leave directly from house fridge. Run it on propane on the road.

My gas tank fill is on street side of TV and fridge is on curb side so it comes no where near a gas pump. If I were in a situation where fridge was near a gas pump I would turn it off.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:27 PM   #23

I am not sure why you would turn it off in transit? They are designed to run on propane while driving. Am I missing something?

2005 Jayco Jay Feather 23B -- current
1999 Chevy Suburban 1500 -- current

2001 Coleman Bayside Elite
2003 GMC Sonoma ZR2 Quad Cab
Jhmlbrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhmlbrgr View Post
I am not sure why you would turn it off in transit? They are designed to run on propane while driving. Am I missing something?
Just in case you forget to turn it off when filling up with fuel. On my fiver, my TV fuel door is pretty far away from the frig. but it could be close to the guy next to me or behind me. My owners manual says that it's o.k. to run them while underway so safety would be the only reason I can think of. I don't run mine while traveling.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:52 PM   #25

Our last trip we plugged it in the night before, loaded up and rolled out around 1. 2 hour trip. Traveled with it off. Everything stay nice and cold. Extra bag of ice in the freezer stayed frozen.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:51 AM   #26

We start the fridge on Propane at the storage yard the day before we leave. The storage yard is about 3 miles away so on the morning we leave, I drive it home to fill the fridge and pack any last minute items. Since everything goes directly from one fridge to the other, we don't bother with coolers.

We have always run the fridge on propane when we drive and in the old RV we ran it on propane for the entire trip. The current TT has an auto setting so we leave it on that. In the class C, the fridge was on the opposite side from the gas fill and on the current TT, it is some 30 feet away. We normally do not shut down the fridge when fueling, but do if the fridge will be near any pumps.

If we will be traveling through tunnels, we shut off the propane at the tanks.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhmlbrgr View Post
Those of us who are rather safety-conscious feel that leaving the propane system on while traveling is an unnecessary risk.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Those of us who are rather safety-conscious feel that leaving the propane system on while traveling is an unnecessary risk.
Make that "Extra" safety-conscious. I am safety-conscious, as well, but see no risk involved in running on propane while driving. In fact, I think the chance of food poisoning from a fridge that warms up too much is of greater risk. I had that happen once on a very long, hot day driving across SD, and had to dump $60 worth of meat and other spoil-able food rather than take a chance on eating it.

There's nothing wrong with turning it off for peace of mind, though. Not pooh-poohing your decision, just pointing out there could be a risk to a long day's travel with the fridge turned off.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
Make that "Extra" safety-conscious. I am safety-conscious, as well, but see no risk involved in running on propane while driving. In fact, I think the chance of food poisoning from a fridge that warms up too much is of greater risk. I had that happen once on a very long, hot day driving across SD, and had to dump $60 worth of meat and other spoil-able food rather than take a chance on eating it.

There's nothing wrong with turning it off for peace of mind, though. Not pooh-poohing your decision, just pointing out there could be a risk to a long day's travel with the fridge turned off.
Personally, our trips are under 4 hours. From just north of the NYC metro area to The Adirondacks. The choice between an unnoticed propane leak vs. potentially spoiled food is an easy one.

I use power tools and dangerous gasses routinely. I still have all my fingers, toes, eyes, etc. If that labels me "Extra" Safety-conscious. It is a badge I will wear proudly.

And proud of it!
Old 07-15-2015, 07:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Personally, our trips are under 4 hours. From just north of the NYC metro area to The Adirondacks. The choice between an unnoticed propane leak vs. potentially spoiled food is an easy one.
As I stated early on in this thread, there will be folks who disagree with running the fridge while driving. It is a personal decision and I don't think less of anyone who disagrees. But the vast majority run their fridges while driving. I am one of them.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #31

Quote:

I use power tools and dangerous gasses routinely. I still have all my fingers, toes, eyes, etc. If that labels me "Extra" Safety-conscious. It is a badge I will wear proudly.
My solution to the "unnoticed propane leak" is never turning the propane bottles off. My camper is at my house, not a storage facility. I would rather detect that leak as soon as possible and not when preparing to head out camping. Also, with the propane always on the lines are always pressurized and all the appliances start the first time as they should. No need to purge them.

I have an automatic changeover regulator so both bottles are always on. I know some people leave one bottle off and only turn it on when the other bottle is empty. That defeats the whole purpose of an automatic changeover regulator.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:23 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
My solution to the "unnoticed propane leak" is never turning the propane bottles off. My camper is at my house, not a storage facility. I would rather detect that leak as soon as possible and not when preparing to head out camping. Also, with the propane always on the lines are always pressurized and all the appliances start the first time as they should. No need to purge them.

I have an automatic changeover regulator so both bottles are always on. I know some people leave one bottle off and only turn it on when the other bottle is empty. That defeats the whole purpose of an automatic changeover regulator.
My TT is right next to my barn/shop and I visit it practically every day too. My worry (paranoia?) is if a hose is damaged on the road, we won't whiff it until after we are stopped. How many miles/lbs of propane just got lost (potentially caught fire) since the damage occurred?

What about being hit by a less-than-attentive driver? (I had a 15 month old car totaled by one of those). Hose damage while the fridge flame is on? No thank you.

I'll still turn of my tanks during hitching up and turn them back on just after leveling.

-------------

The auto-changeover is an absolute godsend! My old trailer had 1 tank. It invariably ran out after dark. I had modified things so that a change to the spare took under a minute and required no tools. But then there was relighting 3 pilots and the fridge. Now, check for red every day or so when boondocking and weekly-ish when at home.

And proud of it!
Old 07-15-2015, 10:38 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
Our fridge runs from the day the trailer comes out of storage in the spring to the day it goes back into storage. During the summer when the trailer isn't used, it's plugged in at home and the fridge is on. We keep stuff like bottled water, beer, canned drinks, beer, maybe some wine, beer... Basically stuff that won't go bad if the fridge stopped working.

The day before a trip, that's when we load it with the other stuff we'll need, and as we're packing up to go, we throw the last few items into the fridge. We run on auto, so the fridge is on propane during the trip. Everything (especially the beer) is cold by the time we get to the campground.
This is exactly what we do, the only time the fridge gets turned off is when we have it winterized (and sometimes even then around the holidays we'll turn it back on and use it as over-flow cold storage) No problems to date.

Nights Camped in 2015: 62
Nights Camped in 2016: 74
Nights Camped in 2017: 69
RLS1955 is offline   Reply With Quote