Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-19-2020, 09:24 PM   #1

Filtering fresh water fill ups

Going on a long trip to Alaska and while traveling we will need to fill up fresh water tank while on the road. How do you filter water the water before you put it in the tank?
Sandybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:44 PM   #2

Most folks use these when they want to filter the water going into the holding tank. WalMart has them for about $18. They also sell a twin pack of filters without the connection hose shown in the picture here. They are charcoal and paper element so you'll want to run the water for 10-20 seconds through them before every fill (the first time will flush the black charcoal dust out). Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201219-224140.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	66428

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:46 PM   #3

My buddy, and I see a lot of others, use the Camco inline water filter 40043.
Heres an amazon link to one. You can find these just about anywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-TastePU.../dp/B0006IX87S
Old 12-20-2020, 06:50 AM   #4

I filter every ounce of water that enters my rig either to my fresh tank or direct to my fixtures when connected to city water. This is the filter system I use: https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/w...ersal-mounting

Mine is an older bracket design, but I keep it in the basement where it is protected from the elements hot or cold. Works great and has for over 10 years now. I do have a clear cannister cover for the particulate filter so I can see it getting darker and closer to needing replacement.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:35 AM   #5

X3 on the Campco in line.

Finding places to fill on the road can be a challenge.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:13 AM   #6

Thanks for the filter suggestions, I do have already a couple of Camco water filters and did not think to use them for fresh water tank filling.

Another question for a long haul newbie here. When filling fresh tanks when you can find it, is there a hose already provided and attach your filter to, or do you need to drag hose out of basement and use your own. Just trying to be prepared.

Thanks
Sandybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:22 AM   #7

Even if there is a hose attached I will always use mine. I'm just not very trusting with hoses. But generally, it is rare that there is a hose attached.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:41 AM   #8

I also made a double filter system like shown above. We keep a spray bottle with 10% bleach mix and spray down any hose connections prior to hooking up. Maybe it helps maybe not but it makes me feel better. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandybar View Post
Thanks for the filter suggestions, I do have already a couple of Camco water filters and did not think to use them for fresh water tank filling.

Another question for a long haul newbie here. When filling fresh tanks when you can find it, is there a hose already provided and attach your filter to, or do you need to drag hose out of basement and use your own. Just trying to be prepared.

Thanks
When we were in Alaska in 2008, we had a MH. Filling the water tank was not an issue. We had to provide a hose to fill up. I carry a short 10' just for filling my FW tank. Lot easier to deal with than a 25 footer.

Supplies were plentiful. Costs were a bit high, but we expected it. We bought groceries every few days, as we passed a larger town/city.

Before you leave, do a good pre-trip inspections.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:56 PM   #10

Bad water in campgrounds

I have been useing the Camco water filter on my Redhawk 22J. Apparently I still got contaminated water and these filters don’t kill things. I don’t drink the water and I don’t brush my teeth or rinse my toothbrush in it either. Apparently washing dishes was enough. I am trying to resolve a difficult GI issue now.

From what I’m reading, only the reverse osmosis or UV Light Filters will actually kill anything coming in from a water source. (The UV Light may be more effective from something I saw in my early reading.) Has anyone here installed one in a Class C? I’d like to find something portable, especially after listening to the conversations about how hard it is to get to the existing filters on the 22J water systems.

Thank you,
MaryT
MaryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryT View Post
I have been useing the Camco water filter on my Redhawk 22J. Apparently I still got contaminated water and these filters don’t kill things. I don’t drink the water and I don’t brush my teeth or rinse my toothbrush in it either. Apparently washing dishes was enough. I am trying to resolve a difficult GI issue now.

From what I’m reading, only the reverse osmosis or UV Light Filters will actually kill anything coming in from a water source. (The UV Light may be more effective from something I saw in my early reading.) Has anyone here installed one in a Class C? I’d like to find something portable, especially after listening to the conversations about how hard it is to get to the existing filters on the 22J water systems.

Thank you,
MaryT
I have been considering something like this just for the purpose you mentioned. I would add a water hose connection on each side (male and female) and add it inline with my camco hose water filter right at the spigot. This one is 6gpm so you would want to go slow when filling the tank, the slower (less gpm) the more effective they are. ~Craig
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCQUE0X...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 05-04-2021, 02:42 PM   #12

I use this for my water filtration. Does a great job.

https://www.clearsourcerv.com/collec...-filter-system

I ordered mine with the clear canisters so I can see what the filters are doing.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I filter every ounce of water that enters my rig either to my fresh tank or direct to my fixtures when connected to city water. This is the filter system I use: https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/w...ersal-mounting

Mine is an older bracket design, but I keep it in the basement where it is protected from the elements hot or cold. Works great and has for over 10 years now. I do have a clear cannister cover for the particulate filter so I can see it getting darker and closer to needing replacement.
X2. Have similar two filter set up.
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote