Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2017, 07:16 AM   #1

Fire Extinguisher

We have a 2015 Jayco 19RD which we purchased at the beginning of 2015. I am assuming it was made in the middle of 2014. It came with the standard fire extinguisher that is strapped next to the door. I was wondering if it is something that we should replace now that the TT is over 3 years old? I could not find any kind of expiration date on it. How long do they last?
Thank you in advance?
Old 10-26-2017, 07:22 AM   #2

5 to 15 years. Do you have a pressure gauge on yours?
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:14 AM   #3

Another suggestion I have seen is to remove the extinguisher from the holder a few times a year and shake it upside down for a few minutes. If not the powder inside will cake and stick to the bottom, then if you ever need to use it nothing comes out. According to National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards, disposable fire extinguishers must be replaced every 12 years.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #4

Try googling the model fire extinguisher you have. Should be able to find the best use by date that way.

When yours goes out of date it is a great chance to practice with the old one, especially if you have kids. Start a small fire and teach them to use it by firing towards the nearest edge and working in. Not at the top of the flames. Most are dry types so there will be a lot of non-toxic dust.

I used to go to our local fire extinguisher dealer and get some out of date ones they got from businesses. At a Scout meeting the boys actually got a chance to use one.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
5 to 15 years. Do you have a pressure gauge on yours?
No we do not have a pressure gauge.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Another suggestion I have seen is to remove the extinguisher from the holder a few times a year and shake it upside down for a few minutes. If not the powder inside will cake and stick to the bottom, then if you ever need to use it nothing comes out. According to National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards, disposable fire extinguishers must be replaced every 12 years.
Great advice! I didn’t know they last that long!
Old 10-26-2017, 04:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Try googling the model fire extinguisher you have. Should be able to find the best use by date that way.

When yours goes out of date it is a great chance to practice with the old one, especially if you have kids. Start a small fire and teach them to use it by firing towards the nearest edge and working in. Not at the top of the flames. Most are dry types so there will be a lot of non-toxic dust.

I used to go to our local fire extinguisher dealer and get some out of date ones they got from businesses. At a Scout meeting the boys actually got a chance to use one.
Thanks for the idea! We don’t have little kids but I would like to learn how to use one!
Old 10-26-2017, 06:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Yes, nice practice, you can usually hear the chemical moving. Also depending on your sleeping location, you might want to get a second extinguisher, we have a 28RLS, the stock fire extinguisher is mounted on by the rear door, we have our second one mounted in the bedroom in the front of the trailer (we have second door forward in the bedroom). But I don't want to go all the way to the other end to get it. besides the exits, anything to put out a small fire or buy us extra seconds to get out.
Another thing, there might be a small pin on the top of the extinguisher or some under the nozzle, popped up is usually full charge.

And since we have a door on the bedroom, I put a second smoke detector/CO alarm in there.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #9

As a Firefighter, I don't let mine go pass 5 years. I typically replace all my house and RV smoke/CO detectors and fire extinguishers at the same time every 5 years.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:37 PM   #10

The fire extinguisher should have some sort of indicator. As long as it is green, you should be good.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote