Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 02:13 PM   #1

Firearm in RV for self defense?

Pros and cons of a firearm in RV for self-defense?

Gun laws are different from state to state. When you camp in a gun-friendly state, you can put firearm in RV. But if you a RV full timer, and next stop is not a gun-friendly state which does not allow firearm in RV, how to deal with the firearm? store it somewhere? but you may not come back shortly since you are full-timer across the country. Sell it and buy a new one in another gun-friendly state? inconvenient, time consuming and lose money.

Which states treat RV same as home in terms of self-defense?
Old 01-27-2021, 02:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
Pros and cons of a firearm in RV for self-defense?

Gun laws are different from state to state. When you camp in a gun-friendly state, you can put firearm in RV. But if you a RV full timer, and next stop is not a gun-friendly state which does not allow firearm in RV, how to deal with the firearm? store it somewhere? but you may not come back shortly since you are full-timer across the country. Sell it and buy a new one in another gun-friendly state? inconvenient, time consuming and lose money.

Which states treat RV same as home in terms of self-defense?
I tend to stay out of states where I cannot have mine. However, if needed I would simply drop mine off at a gunshop at the last state I could carry mine and have it professionally cleaned and ask the shop owner if it would be ok that I leave it and pick it up at the date that I plan to return.

Many people claim that they do just that when going into Canada for example. I would also keep a long arm with me (shotgun for example), as most states allow for that over and hand gun. In any case, it is certainly a wise idea to check the laws of every state one may travel through.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:27 PM   #3

I don't travel to states that won't let me carry a gun.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:31 PM   #4

The gun laws are more about conceal carry and not ownership.

You can carry your gun across state lines, but unless the state has reciprocity you cannot not have it out of it's case and loaded while driving. CANADA being the exception NO GUNS.

Transporting a gun across state lines in the United States is normally not an issue. As long as you follow the laws stated in the Gun Control Act of 1968, which is enforced by the National Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, then you should be fine.

Rest of the info is in the link.

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/03/tra...#axzz6kmYE4VT1
Old 01-27-2021, 02:42 PM   #5

Always, and we avoid States where are permits aren't recognized, those being on the West and East Coasts. And my wife is a better shot than me..

A necessity when traveling: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Old 01-27-2021, 03:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Pros and cons of a firearm in RV for self-defense....snip
I would start here:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-77470-7.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...gun-78412.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/guns-77557.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...y-67236-2.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-39474-2.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...rs-7223-3.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Old 01-27-2021, 03:34 PM   #7

Always. Easy to get to. I don't go to Canada or Mexico.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:43 PM   #8
CAG

I see that someone already posted just a few of the numerous threads on this topic.

Search in the gold bar at the top of the page can most times bring help on topics.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #9
RPR

If staying at or visiting National Parks or any Federally owned campground read the rules. They can be different than the state they are in. They can be interesting.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:44 PM   #10

Travelling to Canada with a gun right now isn't an issue, because the border is closed, both sides, unless you are an essential. I can't speak for the route(s) that are straight to Alaska though. I have travelled to Canada with a gun, long gun, no handgun, and registered it at the border. Not a big deal.
As far as state to state to travel, having a long gun (shotgun) will be a lot more forgiving than a handgun. Some states get real pissy about a handgun, yet their long gun rules are fairly laid back. Then there are states that are total anti gun. I remember back in 88 we were traveling out west in a mini van and we went to Yellowstone. BIG signs that state absolutely no firearms at the entrance. Dad had a side by side 12ga in a case and kinda buried under our stuff. Nobody ever searched our vehicle, but we never gave them a reason to. We continued all the way to my aunt and uncle place outside L.A., down to Phoenix to another aunt and uncle and back home. Never had any issues, but that was over 30 years ago. Lol!
Me, I'd carry a shotgun, in a case, stored in the trailer somewhat hidden, and keep my head low if I had to travel thru an anti gun state or area.
I think I remember something at a federal level about truckers and rv travellers being able to legally have a gun in their vehicle for protection. I dont know what ever came of it. Michigan, carry whatever you want, legally, and if you have a carry permit from another state, we honor it. I've always got some kind of hardware with me, except at work. I've gone to campgrounds where they dont allow firearms, still got one. They just didnt know it.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I tend to stay out of states where I cannot have mine. However, if needed I would simply drop mine off at a gunshop at the last state I could carry mine and have it professionally cleaned and ask the shop owner if it would be ok that I leave it and pick it up at the date that I plan to return.

Many people claim that they do just that when going into Canada for example. I would also keep a long arm with me (shotgun for example), as most states allow for that over and hand gun. In any case, it is certainly a wise idea to check the laws of every state one may travel through.
Why gun law treat long gun differently from handgun? they can do the same harm if used improperly.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:22 PM   #12

Not a recommendation or endorsement. I will deal with firearm violations after I use it to save my a$$.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:31 PM   #13

Because someone somewhere did some BS study that determined that handguns were used in more gun related crimes than long guns were, so they are more of a threat and require expensive permits to carry concealed and even expensive processes to purchase.
They're so stupid they haven't figured out that long guns are more dangerous. Yes, they are bigger and a little harder to conceal, but they hold more rounds, go farther and faster and can do WAY more damage.
What is the most unnerving, hair raising, undershorts filling sound you could ever hear?
It's not the cocking action of a handgun, it's the racking sound of a pump action shotgun.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:52 PM   #14
Site Team

Moderator's Note

As a general procedure, discussion of weaponry is prohibited by our Community Rules, unless directly related to the forum topic....RV's and RV travel.

The Site-Team will keep this thread open as long as it can stay on the topic of considerations for RV travel with firearms. Any diversion from this topic may result in content removal or the closing of this thread.

Midnightmoon
Site-Team
Old 01-27-2021, 05:59 PM   #15
CAG

This comes up often, is then pontificated on with multiple posts. The bottom line to this is if your state allows a gun in the vehicle, Put it were you normally put it. If you drive like a rational driver on the road you will not get stopped, and will never have to face the issue. If you get stopped in a state that regulates gun possession (California for us) and tell the officer you have a gun it might end up in an evidence locker. If you don't mention it, on a simple traffic stop it is likely nothing will happen.

If the inside of your vehicle reeks of dope or booze you are likely to get searched and the weapon then becomes an issue. USE COMMON SENSE and nothing happens.

In 35 years as an LEO, I never went looking for a gun, or anything else in a vehicle without some very good "founded suspicion" to do so. I did not necessarily need probable cause but that is one step better than founded suspicion.

Use your head, don't do something stupid and you are fine.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Why gun law treat long gun differently from handgun? they can do the same harm if used improperly.
Don't ask why. The states make up their own laws and they don't ask for your permission before they pass them, they just tell you what you must do.

Just today, at lunchtime, I watched a History Channel program about the 10 most important weapons in history. Some included Blackhawk helicopters, Chinese swords, pepper spray, tasers, the machine gun, etc, etc.

Wanna know what the #1 most important weapon was in all of history? (based on their collective opinions, for whatever that was worth).

It was the HANDGUN.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:57 PM   #17

Travel with firearm.

Know the federal law as it relates to traveling with firearms. One very important aspect of the federal law is passing through which means no overnight stop.

Ammo and firearm stored separately. Firearm in locked container or compartment not accessible from the driver's compartment. Some states consider a lockable glove box or console a locked container others do not.

Well worth the investment if you travel with firearms

https://www.gunlawguide.com/?v=2320522a6676

Just like others I refuse to travel or stop in certain states due to their unfriendliness to gun owners and an individual's right to self defense.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
Old 01-27-2021, 07:27 PM   #18

I never leave home without it. Browning Hi-Power 9mm.
Attached Thumbnails
Gun Safe (1).jpg  
Old 01-27-2021, 08:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Travel with firearm.

Know the federal law as it relates to traveling with firearms. One very important aspect of the federal law is passing through which means no overnight stop.

Ammo and firearm stored separately. Firearm in locked container or compartment not accessible from the driver's compartment. Some states consider a lockable glove box or console a locked container others do not.

Well worth the investment if you travel with firearms

https://www.gunlawguide.com/?v=2320522a6676

Just like others I refuse to travel or stop in certain states due to their unfriendliness to gun owners and an individual's right to self defense.
Just asking so I/we understand. Since I am pulling a Trailer, if the handgun is locked in the trailer (we lock the door when traveling) and the ammunition's is stored in the rear of my expedition. That should qualify?
Trailer is definitely not accessible from the drivers compartment.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 01-27-2021, 09:44 PM   #20

I usually have a rifle in the camper and a pistol in the truck. The rifle is kept unloaded and would be compliant in every state I travel to. The pistol is loaded (I see you are also in Colorado) and in the cab. This is 100% legal in Colorado, you don't even need a permit. Just about every state is a little different though so it's really hard to fully address the question without researching each specific case. You didn't mention if you have a CCW here, but if you do great. I'm guessing you don't though because you would already know which states have reciprocity agreements with Colorado, and you would be fully covered in all of them, no problem.

Truck drivers ask this question all the time too... the answer is the same for them as anyone else. The decision to carry or not will always be yours at the end of the day, regardless of laws, regulations, company policy, etc... you just have to be willing to deal with the consequences. I have banned entire states from my travels over this (new jersey for example). Before I had my CCW, I had a pistol in my car and rifle in my camper then too. I just didn't tell anyone... and I still don't
Closed Thread