Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2021, 02:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
It depends how much you want to setup your camper. Personally I would rather drive all the way and setup once. I've done 10-11 hours in a day. I'm hooked up the night before and ready to go in the morning. Usually on the road by 5am and setup by 4pm. That gives an extra 2 days where I want to be, one on each end.
My wife and my sisters-in-law pick all the camping destinations and make the reservations.

20 years ago I told my wife "for every hour of driving equals one overnight stay at the campground, no matter if other family members leave a day or so early.

5 years ago, this rule was revised to every 45 minutes of driving.

This year, it goes to a half hour. I am ready to take a nap 20 miles from home.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy21 View Post
What is the normal travel day mileage that you would recommend?
Thanks
About 350 miles per day is when I start hating it. If you can 'team drive' with your wife, etc... I'd do that whole trip in one day though.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
My wife and my sisters-in-law pick all the camping destinations and make the reservations.

20 years ago I told my wife "for every hour of driving equals one overnight stay at the campground, no matter if other family members leave a day or so early.

5 years ago, this rule was revised to every 45 minutes of driving.

This year, it goes to a half hour. I am ready to take a nap 20 miles from home.
So you only drive 45 minutes a day? Am I understanding you correctly?

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
About 350 miles per day is when I start hating it. If you can 'team drive' with your wife, etc... I'd do that whole trip in one day though.
Once I get in "the zone" it doesn't matter if it's 2 hours or 12. I lose track of time. I pay more attention to miles remaining.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 02-13-2021, 03:23 PM   #25

Highly suggest you find a very close to home campground and spend two night there. Set up and take down twice. Even if you are seasoned, that is is good way to get some comfort in a new unit and make dang sure all is well before taking off.
GaryNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryNK View Post
Highly suggest you find a very close to home campground and spend two night there. Set up and take down twice. Even if you are seasoned, that is is good way to get some comfort in a new unit and make dang sure all is well before taking off.
That's for sure. Don't take off on a long trip with a new unit. You will surely forget something you want or have something that isn't working properly. It's better to find that close to home.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 02-13-2021, 03:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Once I get in "the zone" it doesn't matter if it's 2 hours or 12. I lose track of time. I pay more attention to miles remaining.
For me the first hour or two are usually the most difficult. After that I settle into the "zone" and can often go for another 6 to 10 hours with no problem.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
For me the first hour or two are usually the most difficult. After that I settle into the "zone" and can often go for another 6 to 10 hours with no problem.
Sounds just like me.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 02-13-2021, 03:41 PM   #29

Yeah, I can usually do the 1400 mile trip to Quartzsite in 2 and a half days. It's usually a couple of days at 500 or 600 miles, then the last day 3 or 4 hundred.

I've been keeping to the interstates mostly (I-5 for the most part from south of Seattle to north of LA). Most of that is relaxing until I go through one of the major metropolises.

Going from 2 wide lanes with sparse traffic to 5 or 6 narrow lanes with a lot of hurried city traffic is the stressful part of the trip. Luckily the majority of driving is of the 2 lane variety.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:52 PM   #30

60 gallon fuel tank

We did our first long trip in 2020. Our biggest take away was I hated the fuel stops. We’re pulling with a 2016 Ford F-250 shortbed which has a 28gallon tank. When we got home after our trip we had a Titan 60 gallon fuel tank installed. Fits same exact spot as factory tank it replaced. BEST thing we’ve done. Now we drive to our daily destination. Drop the 5th wheel and go buy fuel as needed. No more having to plan fuel stops or forced to buy at truck stops and choose options via Gas Buddy for best fuel prices. Have fun and safe travels
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:37 PM   #31

We try to stay in the 300 mile per day range. More recently we have found more campgrounds are requiring a minimum two nights commitment for a site. Best to confirm a spot ahead of time that will allow a one day stop.
bwalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:29 PM   #32

Quote:
So you only drive 45 minutes a day? Am I understanding you correctly?
Nope.

Here's an example. 45 minutes x 6 = 270 minutes which equals 4.5 hours.
Rounding up equates to a 5 night stay at campground.

Or old rule - 1 hour x 6 hours equates to 6 night stay.

You get the picture. Wife doesn't drive, I win!
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:48 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
Nope.

Here's an example. 45 minutes x 6 = 270 minutes which equals 4.5 hours.

Rounding up equates to a 5 night stay at campground.

Or old rule - 1 hour x 6 hours equates to 6 night stay.

You get the picture. Wife doesn't drive, I win!
Now I understand! That's why I usually drive straight thru so I can spend the most time at my destination. A normal trip was to visit my family. That's about an 11 hour trip each way and we stay about 6-7 days. If I stop enroute each way that's down to 4-5 with them.

Everyone has a comfort level that works for them.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 02-13-2021, 05:48 PM   #34
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven&Teresa1 View Post
Don’t forget if you ever get in a jam, Cracker Barrel’s and Walmart’s allow overnights for free, they’re well lit and safe. We always laugh, and you would be surprised at the number of campers pulled in for the night. One time I counted33 campers, a record, although usually only 6-10. Have Fun.

Some do, some don't check before you park or you could be run off at 3AM.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy21 View Post
My wife and I are new to camping. We have made a few short trips over the past 4 months. We are planning a trip to Pigeon Forge this summer with 3 of our grand sons. We live in Covington, LA and it looks to be about a 650 mile trip. We plan to make it to the Birmingham are on the first leg, spend the night then continue on the second leg the next day. This trip will be in a new 2021 310 RLTS Jayco that we will be getting next week. My questions are as follows?
Is that too much traveling in 2 days? Set up, tare down, Travel?
Where is a good place to stay in the Birmingham Area?
What is the normal travel day mileage that you would recommend?
Thanks
I live about 1 1/2 hrs. from Pigeon Forge. It is great place for lots of fun things to do if you can stand the crowds. We used to go there often back in the 70's-80's but not so much now because of the crowds. We go there mostly when school is in session now. I was in LA. last summer. Had the grandson's and we went to West Monroe and Duck Commander, it was really fun. We usually do a 2 week or longer trip each summer the longest has been 8 weeks on a 5600 mile western trip. 350 miles is usually my max driving day. I like to stay between 275 - 300. Have a great time in Pigeon Forge. If you like a little seclusion and space "Up The Creek" is a great campground. There best amenity is huge beautiful campsites on the creek bank. God Bless, safe travels!
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:36 PM   #36

We are retired campers. We like about 300 miles a day. We also like to stay two nights per site, it just makes set up and take down worth it, plus we pick interesting places to explore. If we were hauling 3 grands, the mileage numbers might decrease and the day stay numbers might increase.
Give your self plenty of time to do all the things you need to to avoid stress.
Be sure you have an understanding about late arrival w your site hosts.
Check all connections and doodads and safety stuff twice at each departure, that's precious cargo you are hauling this time.
DamonBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Some do, some don't check before you park or you could be run off at 3AM.
CAG is correct.
I look at this link, then I go look at the satellite photo on google maps to see just how safe the parking lot looks. If we decide we might like staying at that Walmart, we call and SPEAK TO A MANAGER, not a sales person. I have had some managers tell me, yes, they do allow overnight parking, BUT, they wouldnt recommend it as the lot may not be safe. They have had vandalism done to RV's. We looked for another Walmart.

Walmart locations:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...2172016806&z=5

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:52 PM   #38

First long trip

We plan on going to pigeon Forge to we are in Wisconsin it will be about 900 miles one way we plan on doing it in a day and a half there will be two of us pulling campers
Davids2005ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:54 PM   #39

You will be coming across I-459 in Birmingham. Stop at Hoover Met RV Park at Exit 10. We live in Birmingham and easy trip from there to Pigeon Forge.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:25 PM   #40

If you plan on doing some longer distance trips you might want to check out RV Trip Wizard. IMO, it's a fantastic travel planning tool.

RV Trip Wizard
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote