Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2016, 07:18 AM   #11

This is the kind of crap I have ran into at many different stores and dealerships, RVs just being one type. Most of the salesmen and techs will try to tell you whatever they can to make you let go of your concern and be on your way so they can get on to their next sale. Vehicles, home appliances, anything really.

Many times I will let the salesman/tech/whatever talk on and listen intently to their BS pretending I am learning from them when in fact I know far more than they do about the product or issue. This is a great way to determine if you can trust the person and it's quite amusing to let them get their garbage unload over with and then hit them with the facts.

Well done for sticking to your guns and not letting them push you around. Best of all, now you know what that place is all about and now that place knows what you are all about.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #12

You should be proud of yourself.

You did your homework and stuck to your guns. A PDI is very important and it needs to be done right.

It is not a good way to start a relationship when you have to fight with the tech or the service manager to just get through the list provided on this forum.

My service manager tried to bill me $300 dollars for the time I took for my PDI. I told him no, told the tech to unhitch the trailer from my truck, and that I was leaving and he could talk to my lawyers.

He came crawling back as I was pulling out of the service bay.

Just leaves a bad taste in your mouth. They do not like an educated client but it is in your best interest, as you discovered, to do your homework and not get emotionally attached to the new RV.

Bravo to you sir.

King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #13

Borninblue, can you tell me where you found the PDI form, please and thank you
1 Shizu, 1 Havanese
Dreamgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:05 PM   #14

When we called for our PDI appointment we told our salesman that we had a lengthy list. No problem he said. We got there with the list from this site and clipboard in hand. The saleman & tech explained the things they had prepped and tested and asked if we had any questions. They told us to stay as long as we needed to go over our list and stopped in about every 30 minutes to see if there were any concerns that they needed to take care of. We were able to take our time and check off the list without feeling rushed at all. When we were finished with the PDI we signed the papers, gave them a check, made an appointment for delivery (we are on a seasonal site and don't have a vehicle to tow the trailer) and headed home. We were at the dealers for about 5 hours from start to finish, spent over 3 hours doing PDI.

On delivery day the driver called and let us know he would be a little later than expected because of traffic. Arrived at the campground, dropped the new trailer, pulled the trade in off the site and put the new one on the site exactly where we wanted it. He made sure the trailer was level, put the jacks down, made sure everything was ok inside and we were satisfied before he hooked up to the trade in again and started the 2+ hour trip back to the dealer.

We were very pleased with the whole process.
Seasonal campers - no towing
BeenCamping40+Years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:53 PM   #15

My PDI last fall was a mixed bag. They didn't try to rush me, but I didn't follow the list as closely as I should have. Thankfully, there wasn't much to worry about at the time anyway.

I did manage to catch 1 big thing: the furnace didn't work. Not sure how they missed that in their own pre-inspection, but I had them replace it while I waited.

I only wish I had personally been more thorough, it would have saved me a bit of frustration on the water heater repairs I've done this year, although the bad circuit board didn't go bad until it had been used for a couple of weeks. I'm sure they would have covered it under warranty, but I didn't want to wait. I figure from this point out, the problem will have to be pretty huge for me to bother with trying to get a warranty repair done.

Honestly, though, given some of the horror stories I've read, I think I got one of the better units.
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamgolfer View Post
Borninblue, can you tell me where you found the PDI form, please and thank you
Its a sticky in the Tech Talk section. Great document. I used it back in March. The dealers dont like it but you will be glad you used it.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:09 PM   #17

deleted. question already answered

Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.

You live and learn, or you don't live long.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote