Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2018, 12:30 PM   #21

Grilled food is sooo good, but we found carrying a charcoal grill just was not worth the mess.
We are careful about splattery, greasy, smokey foods (the good stuff!) inside the trailer. Always use the vent. We pre-cook bacon and some other foods and keep it in the refrig to heat in the microwave. Not as good, but easier.
I made an aluminum shelf with a telescoping alum leg to hang on the side of the trailer. We keep a stainless steel Brinkman 2-burner camp stove tucked in the folded back mattress and use it with a pound bottle of propane for cooking outside. The stove works just as well as the trailer stove.
Actual grilling - we make a lot of dinners in tin foil on a bed of embers and cook some foods over a fire.
Always take caution in bear country when cooking good-smelling food like bacon.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:35 PM   #22

We went with the coleman road trip and it worked great. I have thr adapter tonuse the rv propane outlet and a 20’ or so hose. The first camping trip was a blast but the qualitly of the Jayco Jay Feather leaves a lot to be desired!
eodcoduto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by eodcoduto View Post
The first camping trip was a blast but the qualitly of the Jayco Jay Feather leaves a lot to be desired!
+1
rickrockport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #24

We went with a Magma stainless steel grill. We set it up on a table for grilling. It is small enough to fit in our passthrough storage.
Attached Thumbnails
51E64F0F-7978-453D-AE53-30CC8D272E5E.jpg  
CaptRon53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #25

We've put 17,700+ miles in two years on our 16XRB. A few minor problems, but have read similar or worse from just about every brand out there. We have kept the trailer in good shape and customized it to fit us just right. We are very happy with our Jay Feather and, in fact, have not seen a trailer we would rather have.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:40 PM   #26

Quote:
We picked up our x23b this week and on the 29th we will take it to the campsite for the first time. We have a long checklist going and now we are at the grill.

The camper is set up for the outside wall mount and a propane quick connect below it. Any suggestions on which grill to use? It is my wife, three year old daughter and myself for now so any suggestions are appreciated.
The connection near the rear bumper requires a specific type of BBQ which has no pressure regulator attached. If you want to BBQ in one spot only this is fine. We use a portable Webber and find being able to move it around according to weather, wind and such is worth having to carry the extra tank. I hope this helps.
Stephen Ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:17 PM   #27

I use a Weber Baby Q which I believe has been replaced by the Q1000. I hook it to a stand-alone 20lb propane tank which also serves as a backup in case my main tank runs out. I store the grill in the shower and the tank in my pickup truck when traveling.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #28

I never used the one that came with the camper and never plugged into that outlet. If the grill smokes a lot its going into the trailer. The one I had looked flimsy. I bought a small grill on wheels I could move out from the trailer. Also if you're camping where critters live you don't want them coming to the trailer to lick up the grease. I fold mine up and put in the truck bed. I wish I had bought a table grill so I could put it in the cab. Most of the state and federal campgrounds won't let you leave a grill outside overnight. And I don't want a dirty grill in the basement of my trailer. Small, light, and easy to store in the cab.
djnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:26 PM   #29

Lots of good options, I’d research on Amazon for reviews.
Stand or no stand?
Grill or Burner or option for flat griddle?
Trailer mounted or stand alone?
Use Trailer LP ? (Need to remove regulator from new grill/stove)
LP gas or charcoal?
Is there a cover available?
Will it fit for storage?
I’ve personally have a Weber Q2000, and a Weber Smokey Joe, both w covers.
Let us know how your first trip went and have you you decided what to he with?
Youtube for reviews and info on different units
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:47 AM   #30

Works great

I bought the Camco Olympian 5500 for my X23B. Works great and has legs that fold away if you want to use it on a table. Beware the smell of the grilled food will stay in your awning for awhile after. Had to wash the underside to get rid of it.
bigjake392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:12 AM   #31

I use a Weber Q1200. I have a grill mat, cut to fit, in place of the griddle and a 5 lb bottle to supply the grill and the Little Buddy heater. A Traeger will replace it when it fails.

Weber: https://www.amazon.com/Weber-5108000...28436249&psc=1

Traeger: https://www.bbqguys.com/traeger/scou...180705131024:s
Old 07-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #32

Quote:
We went with the coleman road trip and it worked great. I have thr adapter tonuse the rv propane outlet and a 20’ or so hose. The first camping trip was a blast but the qualitly of the Jayco Jay Feather leaves a lot to be desired!
So, do you connect directly to the 20 lb cylinder through the regulator on the Coleman grill or did you find a way to connect to the low pressure connector on the outside of the TT and remove the regulator at the grill?

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #33

from the baby brother

We have the x20e and have the same connector available. I would love to use it, but like was mentioned, I don't want the bbq that came with the unit on the side of the unit. I have thought about running an extension out to the picnic table, but then there may be 10-20 ft if gas hose to pack around.
We just haven't used it and currently run a webber bbq and an old colman stove for boiling water and burning other food. I have a T and can run both from a 25 lb tank off the rv or by bringing a spare.
Bob The Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:20 AM   #34

I have to vote for the Weber Q. Also got the griddle for it, and when properly seasoned, can do eggs and pancakes as well. Didn't get a stand, just use the picnic table. Also didn't use the trailers LP outlet as it is in the back of the rig, and didn't want to trip over the hose to the grill. The cylinders are cheap and can do quite a few meals. We love it. I did have to rig up a way to make sure it was level, as the eggs will otherwise slide to the side of the griddle. It's perfect for two.
davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:13 AM   #35

Quote:
We picked up our x23b this week and on the 29th we will take it to the campsite for the first time. We have a long checklist going and now we are at the grill.

The camper is set up for the outside wall mount and a propane quick connect below it. Any suggestions on which grill to use? It is my wife, three year old daughter and myself for now so any suggestions are appreciated.
My Jayco came with a stove and a quick disconnect under the back of the trailer which was difficult to connect. I just left the extension tubing connected and stuck it in the PVC extra sewer hose carrier (cut a notch in the cover) and so it stayed connected under the trailer with the valve closed. The quick disconnect to the cooker is easier to work.
scapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36fire412 View Post
So, do you connect directly to the 20 lb cylinder through the regulator on the Coleman grill or did you find a way to connect to the low pressure connector on the outside of the TT and remove the regulator at the grill?
My SLX 245 RLS has two 20 pound tanks. I just disconnected one and connected a 10 foot hose to the grill. That way I could get the grill away from the trailer.

It worked just fine.
Regulator is offline   Reply With Quote