Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2018, 05:13 PM   #1

First question from a new owner

We picked up our x23b this week and on the 29th we will take it to the campsite for the first time. We have a long checklist going and now we are at the grill.

The camper is set up for the outside wall mount and a propane quick connect below it. Any suggestions on which grill to use? It is my wife, three year old daughter and myself for now so any suggestions are appreciated.
eodcoduto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #2

A few questions that come to mind from us in the peanut gallery would be...

- Are you looking just to grill?
- Are you looking to use it as a griddle at times?
- Do you want it to attached to the rail that may be present on the side of your camper?
- Are you looking to cook on the picnic table or someplace other than next to the travel trailer?
- Do you want one that is small and designed to sit on a table or stand up or have the flexibility of doing either?

I'm sure there are others out there from peanut gallery land that may have other questions and/or the suggestion of a all-purpose grill for you.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:39 PM   #3

One of my old popups had an indoor outdoor stove that you took outside and plugged in. Handy, but only one place to cook.

We currently have a butane stove that cost about $18. Very light weight one burner. Downside is expensive fuel. But really handy to cook at the picnic table, avoid grease smoke from bacon (ummm Bacon!) and hamburger inside. Also very handy to have boiling water for my morning cup, or 2, maybe 3?

Mine is like this one and has its own storage box. https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Mou...e+butane+stove
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36fire412 View Post
A few questions that come to mind from us in the peanut gallery would be...

- Are you looking just to grill?
- Are you looking to use it as a griddle at times?
- Do you want it to attached to the rail that may be present on the side of your camper?
- Are you looking to cook on the picnic table or someplace other than next to the travel trailer?
- Do you want one that is small and designed to sit on a table or stand up or have the flexibility of doing either?

I'm sure there are others out there from peanut gallery land that may have other questions and/or the suggestion of a all-purpose grill for you.
-We are looking to grill and cook bacon and other high smoke items outside.
-I was looking at the side mount but I am not against having a stand alone unit.
-Either is good, a table mount or stand alone with some beef to it. Right now I am open to anything and I hate buying something to upgrade it later so I'll learn from everyone else's experience on this.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #5

We have a grill we bought at "Direct Tools". It is well made and folds easily for transport, The name I believe is "Stok", You can check it out on their website and I think they offer free shipping on orders over a certain dollar amount. You can also buy different inserts for the grill if you desire. Hope this helps.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:16 PM   #6

We just bought a Blackstone griddle and are going to try it out this weekend. Link:https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/p...e-top-griddle/
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:31 PM   #7

We went with a Coleman Roadtrip grill. It's a little bulky for a tabletop but collapses from a freestanding position for use and has multiple cook surfaces options available for purchase (see pics). I'm in the process of creating a hose that will tap into the low pressure quick connect on my trailer so I don't have to rely on one pound propane cylinders. There are others here who use the Weber Q series grilles. The Blackstone mentioned above also looked interesting and had good reviews but my wife wanted the versitility the Coleman offered with its various cook surfaces.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-06-21-22-26-37.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	41127Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-06-21-22-28-11.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	41128

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:50 PM   #8

We use a Weber Q, I removed the regulator from it and added a quick connect to use the trailer gas supply from the onboard quick connect. It’s a nice little grill.

We also have a Charbroil “Grill2Go” portable infrared grill that does an outstanding job! However, it is difficult to clean and you have to clean it after every use or it will smoke excessively. It reaches up to 500 degrees.

Most people seem to use the Coleman Roadtrip or the Weber Q.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:51 PM   #9

Camp Chef is another option if you're looking at a sturdy (but bulky) freestanding unit. They offer two and three burner models, with multiple cooking surfaces including a griddle, grill box, pizza oven, and more. They also sell the gas line to connect their grills to the trailer's quick connect gas port (although most quick connect hoses will work).
Old 06-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eodcoduto View Post
We picked up our x23b this week and on the 29th we will take it to the campsite for the first time. We have a long checklist going and now we are at the grill.

The camper is set up for the outside wall mount and a propane quick connect below it. Any suggestions on which grill to use? It is my wife, three year old daughter and myself for now so any suggestions are appreciated.
I use a Camp Chef 30 Single burner hooked to my propane quick connect with 10 foot of hose. I have a griddle I place on top for griddle food. If we fry just remove the griddle and use the burner by itself. Works great and breaks down for storage. I'm not sure if that's the type your interested in. Got all the fittings to make it a quick connect at Lowes.
Attached Thumbnails
camp_chef_pro_30_single_burner_stove_with_side_shelf_1299686_1_og.jpg  
Mont Belvieu, TX
T&M_Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:04 PM   #11

I drank the Kool-Aid and went with the Blackstone Griddle...$147 at Walmart with lid and legs and hose for large propane. No it will not hook to the RV propane with out another adapter hose...but...every meal is cooked on it and all I have to do is scrape it off and wash the spatula(s) and scraper. No pots pans, etc to wash which is kind of a big deal when boondocking. I haven't figured out how to do coffee yet...but I am working on it. Oh and so far everything tasted amazing.
Las Vegas, NV
LVChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #12

These are great! Go Coleman.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #13

I just pulled the trigger on the Coleman LXE and a low pressure adapter. Silver was $50 cheaper than maroon on Amazon so silver it was!
Old 06-22-2018, 05:43 PM   #14

The key element to consider is the grills lp pressure regulator. The htt already regulates the pressure down, so all you need is a control knob.

Some grills are easy to convert and others not so much.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
The key element to consider is the grills lp pressure regulator. The htt already regulates the pressure down, so all you need is a control knob.

Some grills are easy to convert and others not so much.
What is a HTT?
Old 06-22-2018, 07:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&M_Texas View Post
I use a Camp Chef 30 Single burner hooked to my propane quick connect with 10 foot of hose. I have a griddle I place on top for griddle food. If we fry just remove the griddle and use the burner by itself. Works great and breaks down for storage. I'm not sure if that's the type your interested in. Got all the fittings to make it a quick connect at Lowes.
One of the factors you need to consider... is where you store it. How big of a space do you have?

Camp Chef makes some of the best outdoor cooking equipment... I made the mistake of buying the other stuff and trying it out because it was a few dollars cheaper... but now have CampChef - and no longer even look at the other grills at Cabela's, Lowes, HomeDepot or Bass Pro.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #17
Site Team

If you are going to use the QC propane outlet, your grill must work off of low pressure propane or have to be converted to that because it work grill satisfactorily with the unit lp supply being regulated twice.

Most grills that use 1lb bottles won't work without modification.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:40 PM   #18

We rarely use the stove in the trailer. We have a portable Coleman stove for table top cooking. We bought a separate 5 pound propane tank for it. We hate using the little green bottles. We just bought a table top bbq that we will try out next week. We have quick connect adapters on both so we only deal with one propane bottle.

Aussie 205 Stainless Steel Tabletop Gas Grill

Jayfeather 16 XRB
Ford Explorer V8
MagooIsBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:00 PM   #19

I don't like my grill next to the camper. I get too many flare ups and don't want that under the awning or against the fiberglass wall.

I also don't mind little green bottles so I just got an outdoor portable grill. It stores in the outside kitchen area when we travel.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:15 PM   #20

I have a Coleman Road Trip and really like it. I really like being able to move it over by a picnic table and wouldn't want to grill right next to the trailer. After seeing all of the "grease" that accumulates on my glasses while cooking, I really wouldn't want that all over the side of the trailer. Another concern would be possible damage or discoloration of the trailer if the grill got overly hot. I have a propane hose that would enable me to hook into one of the tanks on the front of the trailer, but have just been using the 1 pound cans thus far. Each of the 1# cans seem to last for quite a while.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote