Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2019, 08:53 AM   #1

First time buyer. RV should come w/ battery, right?

Hi there,

I’m looking at buying a new 145RB as my first RV. I was surprised by the salesman telling me that I should just go ahead and purchase the $600 “new RV tour and lesson” because the battery would be included in that and the battery was going to cost me anyway.

Also, the salesman said there was a $150 propane inspection charge that was mandatory. Should something like that be inspected pre-sale anyways?

Thanks for your thoughts. I’m trying to not be gullible as I’m probably an easy mark as a first-timer who does not know much. I am buying through Costco, if that helps.

Thanks,

Chris
cmorris975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:05 AM   #2

Most good dealers will include a battery in the purchase. Others just find it another way so get more $ out of you. The “new RV tour and lesson” sounds like they want to charge you for the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection). Don't know about the $150 propane inspection charge, could be a state thing but yes all systems should be checked and inspected before they release the camper over to you.

When you go to pick it up check everything over, I mean everything, before you sign anything or hand over any more money. Once you sign and hand over $ and find something that doesn't work or needs to be fixed you'll find yourself at their mercy. I would suggest taking along somebody who knows campers and what to look for.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:09 AM   #3

I suspect you may need to keep looking for a dealer. The added charges are not common and as mentioned earlier, sound like they want to bill you for a normal PDI. Not sure what the sale price is but ir should be roughly 30% off the price you’d find on Jayco’s website.

BTW, welcome to JOF
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #4

Go find another dealer. Why would a factory new trailer need a propane inspection? You should ask him how much he paid to have his fuel system inspected on the last car he bought. Really sounds like they are trying to add a ton of crap to offset their "special" pricing.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:45 AM   #5

Thanks guys. Your feedback is very helpful.

So the PDI is where they show you how everything works and is usually included free of charge?
Old 12-29-2019, 09:46 AM   #6

I paid 350 dollars for my PDI and felt like I got ripped off. I had a young kid show us around the Motor Home, but he just showed us those things he happened to come across. I don't think he knew any more then we did.
And yes, it came with a battery. How could they do an inspection without one?
That advice of taking someone along who is familiar with your camper is a very good idea.
Mine was a used vehicle from a dealer. I noticed the vehicle was plugged in with an extension cord. This should have told me that maybe the battery was bad. Which after I signed and left, turned out to be. Nothing would work, couldn't even turn on the generator with out a battery.
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorris975 View Post

So the PDI is where they show you how everything works and is usually included free of charge?
Not necessarily.
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:02 AM   #8

CMorris
Use the form below to perform your own PDI ( pre delivery inspection).

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ted-36094.html
Old 12-29-2019, 10:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Hi there, I’m looking at buying a new 145RB as my first RV. I was surprised by the salesman telling me that I should just go ahead and purchase the $600 “new RV tour and lesson” because the battery would be included in that and the battery was going to cost me anyway.
Also, the salesman said there was a $150 propane inspection charge that was mandatory. Should something like that be inspected pre-sale anyways?
Thanks for your thoughts. I’m trying to not be gullible as I’m probably an easy mark as a first-timer who does not know much. I am buying through Costco, if that helps. Thanks, Chris
I'd turn around and run and not look back.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:52 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:

I don't want to confuse you, but I view the PDI (pre delivery inspection) and the dealer walk through as 2 completely different events. I personally do my own PDI before I sign any paperwork or transfer any money. I use checklists similar to what was posted above and go on the roof, under the trailer, use all systems both connected to shore power and on 12 volt, run the pump, furnace, air conditioning, look for water leaks, etc.

I looked at my 2017 no less than 3 times before I actually signed anything. There were a couple of little things that needed attention. But, they were completed before any money changed hands.

As far as the battery is concerned, even the dealer I used wanted to make it be part of a "Hitch Package" for $500. I simply refused and stated that if they want to sell a trailer, that there will be a battery in it when I am testing the systems and when I pull out of the lot. Now what they ended up giving me wasn't a great battery. But it was enough to get on the road. As far as paying for PDI or a dealer prep fee. Again, if they want to sell me a unit, then the is no way I'm paying that fee.

Lastly, if you are brand new to this, why not ask an experienced RV owner from your area to help you with your PDI?
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I don't want to confuse you, but I view the PDI (pre delivery inspection) and the dealer walk through as 2 completely different events. I personally do my own PDI before I sign any paperwork or transfer any money. I use checklists similar to what was posted above and go on the roof, under the trailer, use all systems both connected to shore power and on 12 volt, run the pump, furnace, air conditioning, look for water leaks, etc.

I looked at my 2017 no less than 3 times before I actually signed anything. There were a couple of little things that needed attention. But, they were completed before any money changed hands.

As far as the battery is concerned, even the dealer I used wanted to make it be part of a "Hitch Package" for $500. I simply refused and stated that if they want to sell a trailer, that there will be a battery in it when I am testing the systems and when I pull out of the lot. Now what they ended up giving me wasn't a great battery. But it was enough to get on the road. As far as paying for PDI or a dealer prep fee. Again, if they want to sell me a unit, then the is no way I'm paying that fee.

Lastly, if you are brand new to this, why not ask an experienced RV owner from your area to help you with your PDI?
This is super helpful. Thank you. Unfortunately I am far from my home in Cleveland (in Phoenix now due to my house being water-damaged from burst pipes and pretty toxic from mold) and do not know anyone here that RVs.

I’m glad I talked with you all. I am going to take my time and process what you guys are saying. Also, definitely going to look elsewhere as there are a lot of dealers in AZ that I can get this trailer from.

I’ve got a lot to learn!
Old 12-29-2019, 11:23 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
This is super helpful. Thank you. Unfortunately I am far from my home in Cleveland (in Phoenix now due to my house being water-damaged from burst pipes and pretty toxic from mold) and do not know anyone here that RVs.

I’m glad I talked with you all. I am going to take my time and process what you guys are saying. Also, definitely going to look elsewhere as there are a lot of dealers in AZ that I can get this trailer from.

I’ve got a lot to learn!

The forum has quite a few members from various areas of Arizona that may be willing to give you a hand. I also have a personal friend that lives about an hour outside of Phoenix in Wickenburg. He's an avid RV owner and always willing to help. He's here in PA now, but I will ask him if he would be willing to give you a hand at some point when he gets back if you would like.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:50 AM   #13

I did have a previous dealer quote me $14,828 out-the-door on the same trailer, a 2020 Jayco 145RB Baja edition - after some haggling and agreeing to finance it with 5k down. I am going to go ahead and assume that one comes with a battery, hah.

I’m thinking I might just go back to that first dealer and try and get some money off the hitch and whatever other equipment I need to get rolling. I’ve got a brand new 2020 Tacoma V6 4x4 that I bought just for this trailer. Not sure what I need, but it sounds like a hitch and probably something else to help the trailer tow smoothly. My truck is rated to tow 6,400 lbs.. These trucks come with receivers and tow package standard.

This new dealership I was just going to in order to find out what the Costco price would be. I am assuming Costco would negotiate a decent price so it would be worth checking out at minimum.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:56 AM   #14
Site Team

You are going to love the Baja package on the trailer. The added ground clearance is amazing for getting in and out of some interesting places.

May I recommend that you take a look at the Andersen WD hitch system. I use it with my Baja edition trailer and Andersen has quite a selection of shank sizes available to accommodate that increased hitch height easily.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Old 12-29-2019, 12:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
You are going to love the Baja package on the trailer. The added ground clearance is amazing for getting in and out of some interesting places.

May I recommend that you take a look at the Andersen WD hitch system. I use it with my Baja edition trailer and Andersen has quite a selection of shank sizes available to accommodate that increased hitch height easily.
Glad to hear good things about the Baja package! We are definitely wanting to go to some off the beaten path places.

Thanks for the hitch idea too. We will check that out!
Old 12-29-2019, 12:19 PM   #16

I agree with what most have said, having to pay for dealer prep and PDI varies widely and is definitely negotiable.

In September 2018, We bought a new 2019 Hideout 177LHS. From the dealer website: NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE FOR DESTINATION FEE OR PREP & DEMO. ALSO INCLUDED AT NO CHARGE IS A BATTERY & BOX AND FULL L/P TANKS.

After using the new trailer several times, the DW and I decided we needed a little more room. In June 2019, we traded in the Hideout for a used 2018 212QB. We paid $379 dealer prep/PDI. I figured is was reasonable to pay for them to go over a used trailer. When we arrived for our PDI, we were pleasantly surprised to find a new battery and two new propane tanks (with a cover) on our used unit.
2013 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3
Husky Centerline TS

ChiToones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:38 PM   #17

Sounds like something CW would charge for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:31 PM   #18

My girlfriend just bought a 2012 camper. As part of the package dealer provided the following: new battery, fixed trim, filled both propane tanks, caulk front cap, and a PDI. Just the cost of doing business there. May want to try a different dealer.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:02 PM   #19
Site Team

Dealers can play shell games with things like PDI and prep charges, and inflated MSRP. Get quotes from several online dealers for comparison. You can use the "build and price" tool on Jaycos website to get actual MSRP with all factory options. If you find a good local reputable dealer a few bucks more then others it could be worth it for service etc. And yes you should get a battery.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:04 PM   #20

Quote:
I did have a previous dealer quote me $14,828 out-the-door on the same trailer, a 2020 Jayco 145RB Baja edition - after some haggling and agreeing to finance it with 5k down. I am going to go ahead and assume that one comes with a battery, hah.

I’m thinking I might just go back to that first dealer and try and get some money off the hitch and whatever other equipment I need to get rolling. I’ve got a brand new 2020 Tacoma V6 4x4 that I bought just for this trailer. Not sure what I need, but it sounds like a hitch and probably something else to help the trailer tow smoothly. My truck is rated to tow 6,400 lbs.. These trucks come with receivers and tow package standard.

This new dealership I was just going to in order to find out what the Costco price would be. I am assuming Costco would negotiate a decent price so it would be worth checking out at minimum.
When we bought our 195 3 years ago, I said up front I wanted front stabilizers, a HD battery (not the std one they supplied), Roof vent covers and tire covers. I also specified a 2000 W Honda Genny, and to add to it all I wanted it delivered and set up, plus they were to haul away my old trailer.

When the salesman came back from the manager's office they discounted the trailer 25% off list, threw in all the accessories for free, gave me the genny at wholesale price and waived the $500 delivery charge. The haul away charge was also waived and they gave me $100 for the old trailer. After pondering the deal for 3 seconds I couldn't sign fast enough.

Our PDI was conducted on the morning before they delivered the trailer. It took an hour and a half. The girl demonstrated every single system, showed that it worked and made sure we knew how to use it. After the setup on our property, the delivery guy sat down with me and had a beer, while the wife made sure everything was to her liking.

My buddy bought a 145 last year from the same dealer and he got the same service. He paid $7400, though it was not a Baha and it was last year's model.

Your 145 price was more than my 195 price. You need a new dealer.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote