Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2019, 01:20 PM   #21

Turtle wax ice seal and shine

To support several others the seal and shine is amazing. If you read reviews it protects and outshines products costing over 5X the price. You can buy at Walmart or amazon for less than $10 a bottle. Spray on wipe off - will last months.
Sv ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shussa View Post
What's the best wax to use for first time waxing rv right out of factory???
Thx for a ll the ideas
I would use a polymer coating, it will last all year or longer. Wax is for old people that have classic cars and want the best shine not long term protection.
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I would use a polymer coating, it will last all year or longer. Wax is for old people that have classic cars and want the best shine not long term protection.
Agree the Turtle wax ice and shine is a ceramic polymer system that bonds to the paint.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #24

I enjoy reading all the wax reviews and suggestions and soon will have a garage full of partially used bottles... BUT is there a difference in recommendations if you have a metal skin, vs a fiberglass 5'er? (Thinking of the Meguiar's, or the Turtle Wax Ice for our fiberglass 5'er)??

davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:54 PM   #25

I applied Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic wax in April of this year when I took delivery and have driven my 5er for over 3,500 miles and the finish is still holding up. Very easy to wash. I'm going to try Turtle Wax Ice in November when we settle in Yuma, AZ for several months. It cost almost half of what Meguiars cost. I will see if it holds up as well.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by davolson View Post
I enjoy reading all the wax reviews and suggestions and soon will have a garage full of partially used bottles... BUT is there a difference in recommendations if you have a metal skin, vs a fiberglass 5'er? (Thinking of the Meguiar's, or the Turtle Wax Ice for our fiberglass 5'er)??
The turtle wax ice and shine works on fiberglass and on decals. It has no abrasives. Will work fine on any RV.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Sounds like a stupid answer. I AM an old guy and I DO have a classic car AND I DO have a classic boat AND I DO have a classic RV.

The truth is that if you have any of the above, your objective is BOTH shine and long term protection. Not achieving BOTH is not an option.

The 2 classics in my garage now have a total age of 108 years and I surely want them to have long term protection. After all, they got this far!

Grandpa would have been 123 years old this year. He brought me up on Simonize Wax and always insisted that I use it. Obviously, I am edumacated in modern stuff enough to know that modern technology beats the old stuff.

Nevertheless, whether you use Maguires or Turtle, there is probably no difference because the technology is similar.

I only prefer Maguires because I get the top-of-the-line bottle for a buck and a half. (It pays to be a Chemist that developed such products and actually retired from the parent company.....LOL)

PS - I love it when people use the term "polymer" because they have been in use for years and years and if you knew the extent you would be amazed!
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:15 PM   #28

I use Maguiars liquid wax......Easy on and the shine is phenomenal. I found the best pricing on Amazon.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:19 PM   #29

Turtle Wax Ice

Best and easiest...UV Protection to boot!! I love this stuff.
Widoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:13 PM   #30

F11 it’s pricey but easy to put on and wipe dry
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #31

Ceramic Coat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shussa View Post
What's the best wax to use for first time waxing rv right out of factory???
Thx for a ll the ideas
We ceramic coated ours and can’t believe how easy it is to keep looking brand new. 1 year, 2600 miles, and several trips under our belt & it’s been washed 2 times. Foam cannon, microfiber on a pole, power wash rinse, take it for a quick drying trip, done.

An investment, but worth every penny.
Attached Thumbnails
6B42FDC3-EEC9-44B0-BDCB-6221DC57FE25.jpg  
tbillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:47 PM   #32

Waxing

I have a 2005 Jayco Eagle 298BHS that I bought brand new in July 2005. Starting in 2006 I started using NuFinish and have been using that every year since. I wax once a year, in the spring, before I start camping for the year. The white fiberglass sides of this camper will blind you in the sun! I do the entire camper by hand and it takes just about one bottle to do the camper and pretty much an entire weekend. I split the job in two so that I wax on the non-sun end and side of the camper. Can’t put NuFinish on in the sun. I also use Murphy’s Wood Soap on all wood inside the camper. My 298 was built in the fall of 2004 but she still looks pretty good!
Dieseldog59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #33

Another Recommendation

Our previous Class C was purchased from sunny California and it took the entire Meguiar toolbox to bring it back to new condition. But when we purchased a 2018 Greyhawk 29MV new two years ago, like you we wanted to stay ahead of the curve, particularly the vinyl stripes.

When it was only a few months old a neighboring camper showed me what he was using on a gleaming black 40 footer that turned out to be 11 years old. "Wash Wax All" by Aero (on Amazon). It's an airplane wax.

My initial observation was that it was incredibly easy to use (I too am old enough to have survived both Blue Coral and Simonoze paste). Wash Wax All is like using Windex, literally. However, the real test is durability. After the first application it was about 15 months until we paused long enough to give it a second coat. In between we did Key West twice, the Chesapeake Bay area and the Pacific Northwest and Alaska before getting back to Ohio (including grasshopper season in Nebraska).

Through it all, it still beaded water like the day it was waxed and bugs washed off with relative ease. In the Yukon and Alaska I was asked several times why mine was clean when every other unit in the campground was filthy. Full disclosure here. I did wash it at least once every 3 - 4 weeks, sometimes with just water but usually using Maguire's car wash soap. Like with my cars, I can't stand them dirty. But dust doesn't cling and rain dries without spotting.

So at this point, 26,000 miles on the Greyhawk, the same on my Geo Tracker dinghy (a 1997 with original teal paint), my wife's black convertible and a Honda CR-V, all with this wonderful product. I've waxed the camper twice, the Tracker 3 or 4 times, and the others once each, and still have about 1/3 of a gallon left. And no plans on switching.

Cheater Tip (from Aero). After washing, mist the wax onto an area of the wet vehicle and dry 90% with a towel and finish with microfiber cloths. Done. In about 30-40 minutes.
Mzellers5 is offline   Reply With Quote