Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2015, 07:25 AM   #1

First tow and camping with our 31RLDS

On Friday I dropped the wife off at our seasonal campsite so she could start working on getting the old 97 Prowler packed to move into our new TT. I went to pick up the new Jayco in the rain. I forgot a bracket for the anti-sway. How bad can an empty trailer be with a WD hitch being pulled by an F250. Well I couldn't go over 52 MPH without getting sway and when your doing 52 on a hwy that is 70mph you get a lot big rigs passing. Not a fun 108 miles to our camp site.

While doing the PDI I paid close attention to the location of everything and all the new stuff our old Prowler didn't have and I breezed through the stuff I was familiar with. Get to the campsite and all leveled showing the wife all the new stuff and paying closer attention. The freshwater tank was filled, this an Elite with a 80 gallon tank or 720# of water in the read end. No wonder I had sway . Oh by the way it takes a really long time to drain 80 gallons through a low point drain.

Late the first night wife says bedroom door won't close so I go to check and sure enough the bottom of the door is hitting the molding, with about a 1/4 of inch of overhang. At this point I freak thinking I tweaked the frame some how. So I run out and check all the stabilizers and level of the camper to make sure that one side didn't sink in a soft spot. Everything was good. So now I start looking for buckled floor or walls and cannot find anything wrong.

I'm a ID-10-T, the glue on the molding did not hold and it was loose, glued the molding back into place and all is good.

We love the new camper and it's going to take days to move all the stuff from the old one. I might just be filling the dumpster with junk we haven't touched in years.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:13 AM   #2

awesome - congrats on the new TT - having experience make the new rig easier to enjoy -

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote