Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #1

Fix it or forget it

As newbies and people who do not like to barter..... Here is the situation.... We did our research on trailer makes and styles very thoroughly and truly believe we have made the right choice for us in the 23j. We have one physically available to us and have verbally agreed on a price, but not having read the helpful thread about getting the best price and because actual prices on the Internet are confusing to say the least, we had no real clue. Our dealer quoted a price on the phone and we ( did I tell you we are not barter wavy). Did get that price down by 500.00and verbally agreed. But because of the Christmas season and their accountant now away, we do not go in to sign the papers till the end of the month ( dealer is also an hours drive away so not so easy to just pop over ) Anyway in the meantime we find that the price agreed to is perhaps the actual msrp. Even as newbies we know that you should not being paying that rate but now we wonder is this.....do we forget the price and go with the agreed amount or is there still a way to fix it and get a better deal?
Phar0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #2

I'd say forget it. Cleveland, Ohio RV show is starting this week. This is the first RV show of the year also this show is when manufactures break out their new models. Consider midwinter sales are slow, the new models will be on lots soon. So bargaining should be on your side
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #3

If you haven't signed a contract, my opinion (with absolutely no legal training) is that you have the right to change the deal, or walk away from it completely.

Jayco last year - and I guess this year - at least showed on their web site Jayco's MSRP. The dealers "list price" may be significantly different from that.

Just be careful. RV dealers are like car dealers. And it is even harder without the label of exact equipment and list prices for each that is required for selling new cars, but not for RV's.

Getting 20 per cent or so off of Jayco's true MSRP should be pretty easy.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #4

Walk away... No one pays MSRP...
Shin Pond Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #5

In this recession 20 to 30% should be easy.
Curt class V hitch
Reese trunion WD with dual cam
AC6CV/7 ex-W8RUR since 1954

Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyotraveler View Post
In this recession 20 to 30% should be easy.
As Canadians can we expect the same prices or will be be expected to pay more?
Old 01-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #7

We do expect that the dealer needs to make a profit and the sales person needs to make a commission so we want to pay a fair price without being taken for an "expensive ride"!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #8

Yes, they need a profit but don't forget they also make profit from return business, supplies, and accessories. then theres prep charges, accessory install labor. They are never on the loosing end. If you don't have a WD hitch have them throw one in, or some other accessory.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #9

Don't pay MSRP. Do a little research on the web. Plug in the brand, model and year and google it. Don't know how it works crossing from US to CAN but worth a call to a stateside sales group. I am pretty sure that RV Direct does CAN transactions through Albany and somewhere in the midwest. Should come in about 25-35% less than MSRP depending on options selected.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Don't pay MSRP. Do a little research on the web. Plug in the brand, model and year and google it. Don't know how it works crossing from US to CAN but worth a call to a stateside sales group. I am pretty sure that RV Direct does CAN transactions through Albany and somewhere in the midwest. Should come in about 25-35% less than MSRP depending on options selected.
Yes we did get a quote from them which is how we found out that the price we agreed to was at the msrp so we thought we would take this price to our dealer and see if we can renegotiate but we wonder about the ethics of doing this as we had verbally agreed on the price before knowing what we now know. It was quite a shock to see that the difference was well over 5000.00
Old 01-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #11

Well he never seen your face. Nothing in writing. Act as a new customer. If he had ethics he wouldn't have tried to sell at MSRP.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phar0e View Post
But because of the Christmas season and their accountant now away, we do not go in to sign the papers till the end of the month
It seems like you feel bad not adhere to an oral, informal agreement. Bear in mind that the reason the dealer was not able to complete the deal and overcharge you $5000 is the dealers fault (not yours); you had time to do more research and consider more. Boo-Hoo for the dealer.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim44646 View Post
Well he never seen your face. Nothing in writing. Act as a new customer. If he had ethics he wouldn't have tried to sell at MSRP.
We have been to the dealers to see the trailer so the face thing is a done deal. I think everyone here has helped us realize we need to try something. And we think we will contact our salesperson and just ask them to explain the difference in price, if they can't explain to our satisfaction then we will try to renegotiate or walk away. If they can explain it then we will still have to see how we feel about the price at that point. thanks for all the input.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
It seems like you feel bad not adhere to an oral, informal agreement. Bear in mind that the reason the dealer was not able to complete the deal and overcharge you $5000 is the dealers fault (not yours); you had time to do more research and consider more. Boo-Hoo for the dealer.
To save $5k, I'd get myself a good bottle of wine and drown in my sorrows.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #15

You haven't signed anything and until you do you have every right to renegotiate given what you know now. Had you had the knowledge you have now you wouldn't had verbally agreed to a price. When we bought our Jayco , we paid seven thousand below list price. There is no reason why you should more either. We live close to Vancouver BC and trailer prices are usually 2500 more due to transportation costs. Price your trailer out from Direct RV on the Internet and add a couple grand and don't pay a penny more. There was a Toronto RV company last summer who was matching their prices. Don't let the salesman hold you to the verbal agreement? He will still be getting his money, maybe not as much but he should be happy selling anything during a Manitoba winter aside from a trip to some place warm. Good luck and enjoy your new RV
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
You haven't signed anything and until you do you have every right to renegotiate given what you know now. Had you had the knowledge you have now you wouldn't had verbally agreed to a price. When we bought our Jayco , we paid seven thousand below list price. There is no reason why you should more either. We live close to Vancouver BC and trailer prices are usually 2500 more due to transportation costs. Price your trailer out from Direct RV on the Internet and add a couple grand and don't pay a penny more. There was a Toronto RV company last summer who was matching their prices. Don't let the salesman hold you to the verbal agreement? He will still be getting his money, maybe not as much but he should be happy selling anything during a Manitoba winter aside from a trip to some place warm. Good luck and enjoy your new RV
Thanks murphie, that's exactly what we needed to hear.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #17

Originally I got a price from RV direct. However, would have had to travel to Albany NY to pick it up, or pay to have it delivered. I simply went to my Jayco dealer in NH and asked them to quote me a price. They came out close enough to RV direct that it was not worth the time and effort to drive to Albany to pick it up. Added benefit is that if any problems occur they are less than one hour away.
I think, personally if I was you that I would walk away and do some shopping. Advantage is that the Canadian dollar and American dollar are very close in value at this time.
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #18

Understand the ethics of a verbal agreement. However I have heard a verbal is worth the paper it is written on.

Your call of course, but 5 large! I encourage more shopping. I wish I knew what I know now before buying our first, and so far only TT.

Next time........

Dave
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #19

Nothing is signed, and there isn't a thing ethically or morally wrong with you calling that dealer and letting them know the information you found in your research and tell them you do not feel that is a good deal for you, and if they want to salvage the sale, the dealer will start negotiating. If not, start shopping somewhere else!

I would not feel one bit bad about telling the dealer I have since found that the price being offered is not a competitive price, and if they didn't pony up I'd be going elsewhere. Right now there are way too many deals with the economy the way it is to even think of paying MSRP.

This is no different than the many times I was selling something on craigslist, got a call from someone very interested, they say great, I want it, hold it for me i'll be there saturday. Then they never show. The ones that at least call me to tell me they changed their mind I don't find as irritating as those who never show and never bother to call to tell me they changed their mind, but even they are not "obligated" to do so over a phone call agreement. If they called to tell me "i found a much better deal somewhere else, sorry" and then gave me a chance to come closer to the other price, that is appreciated. So all this said, it's nice for you to call and give the dealer a chance to drop the price with your new information, but it isn't a requirement if you just change your mind all the way around and simply just go somewhere else. If it were me, I'd call just to say hey, I've changed my mind but that is your call as it isn't a requirement. And if the dealer is intentionally just gouging you for an extra $5k I wouldn't be too concerned about being polite and giving him that call unless you feel that is what you want to do. I guess I can understand the dealer has a business, and if they can get that price then I guess they will and technically there is nothing wrong with them doing so - freedom of enterprise - but freedom of enterprise also means that you have the freedom of finding a dealer who will cut you a better price.

Before I buy something - especially a large purchase like a car or RV - I do a TON of research on competitive pricing beforehand. It sounds like you didn't do that, and you were lucky the dealer had accountant issues as that gave you some time to get working on that research as had you already gone in and signed anything it would be too late. Since you have not done that, it is not too late.

Best of luck and hopefully you will have a nice new RV - at a competitive price - very soon! Happy travels!
CampingGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #20

First is this for a stock unit? Did they hold inventory for you? Did he call recently to confirm the deal and for you to come in to sign the deal? If they held back from offering this particular unit due to the verbal agreement there might be some backlash. But on the otherhand if no one has called to confirm the sale and potential interset from another party you have nothing to feel bad about.

Go in and present your research and by giving them the right to keep and earn your business you are doing the right thing.

You only agreed verbally to the units price. I've done this type deal in the past but had a sales order sent via e-mail with a CC deposit paid to hold the item until I went in to finalize it. That changes everything.

Your allowed to change your mind even if you did sign the deal and pay for it. It's a law in some US states, NY being one of them on certain transactions.

I looked locally and presented the pricing from RV Direct but it was still way apart. Time and fuel still were a minimal part of it. They even put us up for a night in a nice hotel down the street the day I picked it up.

It's your money, spend it wisely or someone will spend it for you.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote