Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > General Jayco RV Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2019, 04:04 PM   #1

Flight for Oregon to Honolulu for $288. Ever driven to Oregon just to fly to Hawaii?

I saw that an airline has flights from Oregon to Honolulu for $288.

We thought about taking our rig there and leaving it. Kill two birds with one stone. We'd see Oregon after we got back.

Anyone done this before?
kraigf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #2

Never have, although I've driven to Seattle to fly to Hawaii. Airfares from our little town in Montana are exorbitant. Even with cost of driving 500 miles and storing our vehicle, we save money.

Jim
Old 02-24-2019, 07:08 PM   #3

We don't go on vacation to save money. When we have gone to Hawaii we flew the entire way. TIME is what's important. We can always save money, but time is a limited quantity.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:20 PM   #4

If you need a place to keep your TT while your in Hawaii then I would leave it at Jantzen Beach RV Park that’s only minutes from the AP. That’s where I leave mine and you’ll have full power while you’re gone with no interruption ( I leave my frig on ) so no prep is necessary to start your Oregon adventure.
Their phone number is ( 503-289-7626). Going on 6 years now off & on and never a problem.
Have fun, Tunce

PS: tell us what your plans for Oregon are and I’m sure some suggestions will be made.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:20 PM   #5
PMC

I haven't done it but it sounds like a good idea.
Are you from Eagan MN by any chance? If you are - Get out if you can! More snow on the way
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:26 AM   #6

What carrier is 288? That's nearly free for that trip. We just booked a trip out of DFW to Kona for spring break, and let me just say the cost would cover a lot of diesel and campground fees.

If we're on an extended trip to the northwest or west coast in general, that would be a great way to break it up. Don't know that I would drive out there for that alone.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigf View Post
I saw that an airline has flights from Oregon to Honolulu for $288.

We thought about taking our rig there and leaving it. Kill two birds with one stone. We'd see Oregon after we got back.

Anyone done this before?
Is that RT or each way ?
Just go from where your at then come back, rest up, then hit the road
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #8

I paid $589 for DW and I for a September trip to Hawaii. That is $589 for two of us round trip. Total for both. I am flying from Utah. Southwest had a big sale as they just started flying to Hawaii. They will be adding Kauai in the next month. Maybe they will have another sale then.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:17 PM   #9
Site Team

See picture below.... for what it's worth

Have fun!!!

Link

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
Hawaii prices.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:40 PM   #10

kraigf - just watched Edina beat Eden Prairie in OT for the HS hockey championship. I was pulling for Eden Prairie! I am originally from Orono and played hockey there from 1959-1966.
I have driven to Portland several times to visit family and stay at the Pheasant Ridge RV Park in Wilsonville, very nice and just south of the city. There are also great parks in the wine country, Crater Lake area, etc.
I will be doing what you are planning and will drive to Portland for Thanksgiving this fall then fly to Kauai shortly after for Christmas and New Years. Portland is one of the few airports that fly non-stop to Kauai and prices aren't bad. There are several long term storage places around Portland and I have called three to check on their pricing and availability. Seems like $150 per month is the mid-range and availability varies. I am driving to Portland in early June on my way to Alaska and plan to visit these sites to check them out. It would be a nice trip with lots to see going from MN to OR and a couple of routes so you don't have to do any backtracking.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:17 AM   #11

Never done it. We flew to Hawaii from Maryland for our honeymoon 14 years ago... long and expensive flight. Our plan for retirement is a cross country trip, storing the camper on the west coast and a shorter and cheaper flight to Hawaii from the west coast.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii