Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #1

Flooded Neighbour leads to best practice adjustments!

We are camping in Port Huron this week. We had a torrential down pour last night that had many people either sequestered in their rigs or heading out for dinner. We were amongst those that stayed in. The downpour ended and we decided to go for a walk.

We noticed water coming off the bottom of a neighbours trailer in fairly large amounts... It took a few moments for it to register but we realized the volume of water was not consistent with the end of the rain. Closer inspection showed the water was actually coming out underneath ther trailer. I went and pounded on the door an no one answered, but I could see that water was coming out through the door. I went to the water outlet and shut it off, and over the next few minutes saw the flow of water slowly decrease. The campground was able to call the owner and let them know that there was a problem at their trailer.

I felt horrible for them, they were brand new to camping, this was only their second time in the rig. It turned out their young daughter had turned the shower on before they went out to dinner which led to the flooding. Unfortunately they were not overly receptive to friendly advise. I tried to gently explain why they needed to photograph this and collect evidence for an insurance claim. They basically brushed me off... This was an Ultralight camper... So laminated floors which quickly delaminate when wet... 3 months from now the unit will very likely be a write off.

All this made me consider and improve my own best practices. I already used a splitter at the hose with quick shut offs. I also occasionally use a pressure valve. After seeing this I decided to permanently mount the pressure regulator on my splitter so that it always gets used. But probably more importantly, I am going to start following a habit I have contemplated for years, That quick shut off valve means it is easy to close the water supply. From now on if we are going to be away from the rig I will be shutting off the water to ensure we don't return to a waterfall coming out the front door.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:24 AM   #2

That stinks.

I always use a regulator and y-adapter with shut-offs at the spigot. I used to always shut off the water but stopped this year. My wife or I are always the last ones out and double check that everything is off. I guess despite that, it's not a bad idea to still shut it off at the y-adapter or spigot....
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:27 AM   #3

Great advice, and for us the awning is retracted everytimes we leave the campsite for an extended period , like longer than a walk

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Great advice, and for us the awning is retracted everytimes we leave the campsite for an extended period , like longer than a walk
X2 on the awning... we had to do an emergency run back to the RV once when an unexpected storm hit Myrtle Beach, we were lucky to not lose the awning.

Like SouthCo, we no longer have little ones... But after reading articles such as the one recently posted about RV Manufacturers Race To The Bottom... Turning the water off seems like cheap insurance against poor workmanship... A ruptured pipe will do the same damage as the overflowing tub.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:12 AM   #5

I would like to say Thank You from me! even though it wasn't my camper! We all forget stuff and I would have been really glad to have had a neighbor that noticed and cared.
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:56 AM   #6

I may be paranoid, but I use two shutoffs on the rig, one at the spigot and a second at the utility center. I always shut both, and the spigot when we leave for more than 30 minutes. Closing the awning is also on my to-do list when we leave for an extended period
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:28 PM   #7

I would rather be considered paranoid than someone who has a lot of future problems on their hands with water damage, I have used a brass shutoff connected to the hose at the city inlet since we started Rving, when we are away the water is off, as well when using the water tank and pump at sites with no water hook up, I will shut off the water pump and water heater, for the same reason, an in-line leak, the end pump will continue to pump water till the tank is empty if I' m not mistaken, I would rather take the road of caution when leaving for extended periods, just saying.
ont-tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #8

We use the tanks and pump on almost all of our trips and turning the pump off and bringing the awning in are my 2 must do's before we leave the trailer for any significant amount of time. Really easy, good insurance and peace of mind, and it just becomes part of the lock up process.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:45 PM   #9

Had they left the grey water valve open they would have just wasted a lot of water. Either way...how do you turn on a shower in a trailer and nobody notices? It's not like a 2 story house where you can't hear or see it.

As to the pressure regulator. I had one of those simple inline ones with the pressure rating stamped on the side. The pressure in the trailer was terrible. I then bought the higher end unit with the gauge and adjustment screw. I put the other pressure regulator on it and capped the end and the "40-50 PSI" regulator was only putting out 30 PSI. My trailer can take 60 PSI. It was so bad the 12 volt pump had twice the water pressure pulling from the tank than the city water with the pressure regulator.

Now with the new regulator and getting a true 50 PSI the showers are much more enjoyable.

All that said....I always shut the water pump off (if I'm using it) the water spigot off and awning in if I leave the campground property for more than 20 minutes. If I leave the trailer but stay in the campground then I leave everything on and open as long as I can get back in 10 minutes.
ScarabChris is offline   Reply With Quote