Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #1

Floor question

I have a new 29RKS and the first time I used it I discovered that they used screws that were a quarter inch to long to anchor the dinette in the slide. The result is a heavily dammaged floor. I am told that it can never be repaired to be "as good as original" but they will cut the original vinyl as a pattern and fasten it in the sides with trim. There is no way to avoid a seam in the bathroom or bedroom door which will make it nearly impossible to clean with a broom.

I asked about being compensated and just living with it and a throw rug but was told that Jayco doesn't do that (I have read otherwise elsewhere). Does anyone have a similar experience?

Crrod
Crrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:01 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Yeah there is another story from poor workmanship. Make them fix it properly to your satisfaction you paid enough $$ for your unit. If they hesitate tell them you'll get a lawyer involved.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:19 AM   #3

I'm not a litigious person by nature, but I guess I have been paying Legal Shield for years, I might as well call them and see what they say.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crrod View Post
I'm not a litigious person by nature, but I guess I have been paying Legal Shield for years, I might as well call them and see what they say.
If you feel you've been wronged, definitely consult a lawyer.

My (now ex-)wife's brand-new car was damaged by her employer's landlord's negligence - windy day & unsecured dumpster. We won in small claims court.

----------------

However, knowing how RV's are built (the floor is installed before the walls are attached), replacing enough floor to not have a seam would require disassembling the entire unit. An uphill battle at best.

Good luck.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:51 PM   #5

I can definitely see the issue with the walls, but why wouldn't they just replace all of the vinyl that is connected? The first time someone trips on the seam it is, if nothing else, a liability risk. I would push for all the vinyl to be replaced that is connected. We had to have the vinyl in an Evergreen fifth wheel replaced (the dealer caught the defect and replaced it) and it came out very well and you couldn't tell. The other issue is that no matter how hard they try, the pattern won't line up perfectly and it won't look good. Hopefully Jayco will work with you! Keep us posted if you can
2009 Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
2005 Jay Flight 27BH (sold) - probably my favorite
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:02 PM   #6

If the only noticeable seams are in the doorways, then thin metal strips that function like saddles in the house will cover the seam and eliminate the trip hazard.

If thin/tapered enough, sweeping over them will not be a problem.

-------

I'd still want to sue Jayco's assets off. But right now, I'm a bit prejudiced; I own a 2013 VW Diesel.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #7

I agree with mike to an extent. The two problems I see are the mismatched floor patterns, and that any seams, even ones covered by the strips, will allow water to get through the floor to the subfloor and below when there is a spill, and there is no way to get to it.
2009 Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
2005 Jay Flight 27BH (sold) - probably my favorite
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtho1 View Post
I agree with mike to an extent. The two problems I see are the mismatched floor patterns, and that any seams, even ones covered by the strips, will allow water to get through the floor to the subfloor and below when there is a spill, and there is no way to get to it.

The pattern won't be a problem, they are going to use one piece but it will have to be cut and wrapped around the bathroom wall. When laid down it will meet up with it's self where the seam was originally cut. My concerns are #1, it won't be fastened at the edges, only "held down" by trim, probably quarter round. #2, The trim will eventually work lose and I will be repairing it. #3, I don't want the threshold strip over the seam, it will always be the reminder that it wasn't done right in the first place.

The Jayco service rep told me that their standard is 1 hour service for each foot of trailer so 29 hours. I talked to a flooring guy that does vinyl all the time and he said he wouldn't touch it for less than 40 so I'm guessing that the dealer's tech is going to be pressed to get it done on the cheap.

The bottom line is that if they would just give me the cash that they are going to pay the dealer to replace it I would take care of it myself. When I suggested this to the service rep he told me Jayco wouldn't even consider a cash payment.

I'm going to make one more trip to the dealer and if they hold their position I will let the lawyer handle it.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #9
Site Team

You might want to give member Rustic Eagle a PM. He had his entire floor replaced and IIRC the results were very satisfactory.

post 5
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ing-17398.html

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:57 AM   #10

The original vinyl in our Greyhawk had been put down with scattered debris under it. Our dealer initially cut it along the pattern to remove the debris, and then resealed the slits with some kind of heat treatment. We could still tell where some of the seams were cut and were not happy, so the dealer ordered a new piece of vinyl in the original 2014 "parquet" pattern and replaced all of it throughout the RV in one piece. Jayco's allowed time for all this floor work was not enough, but the dealer ate the rest.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote