Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #1

Florida during Christmas

In the beginning stages of planning a trip to Florida for Christmas week. (Dec 18-27 total travel days from NC. Really wanted to go to the Keys and spend 3-4 days without spending a fortune. Looks like all of the State parks are booked. I want to get south enough to enjoy some warm water and great views. Will be traveling with DW and 18 and 20 year old daughters who will probably desire some water sports to go with their relaxation. I know somebody out there knows of a hidden gem or two that would fit the bill. Funny thing is, it's 93 degrees with what feels like 200% humidity here in NC right now and I'm thinking about warm water at Christmas, go figure. Nothing like snorkeling on Christmas Day. Thanks in advance.
2014 Jayfeather X20e
Bikryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #2

I wish I could make it to the keys this Christmas too!
I'm thinking about leaving for Savannah Christmas Day.
I too am looking for a warm place to escape to.
I'm not sure if I'm going far enough south though.
As long as it's 60's ish I'll be happy.

Have a great trip!
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:21 AM   #3

I won't be that far south for Christmas, I'm only going as far as Ft. Wilderness. This will be my second time at Disney for Christmas and the first time at Ft. Wilderness. Looking forward to it.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:45 AM   #4

We usually go to the Tampa area in February. We find the water is plenty warm enough to go swimming while we are down there. I would suggest you look to the Gulf side of the state for warmer temps and warmer water.

Some GORGEOUS views across the Gulf too. We haven't made it to the keys just yet, but its on our list.

It is a little funny that you are thinking of warm Christmas weather while we are still stuck in the middle of the summer... but I get it! I'm doing the same thing! Like I said, we usually hit Florida in February. This year we didn't go because our son was born in December and was too young to make the trip. 2 years before that we had a 4 month old daughter and couldn't go. When we went in February of 2014 it snowed the night before we left... had to use 4wd for the first 40 miles of the trip just to get out of there!!! I feel your pain!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:56 AM   #5

Florida fills up with full timers in the winter. We had to make our Thanksgiving reservations as we were leaving last Thanksgiving to ensure we got a site. We aren't heading to the Keys, staying in North Florida near Gainesville.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:07 AM   #6

Smile December Florida Camping

Trying to get into the Keys is a long term planning project. We camp every year at Long Key State Park and usually book it 10 to 11 months out.

We have also camped at St. Joesph Peninsula State Park:

8899 Cape San Blas Road
Port St. Joe, FL 32456

(850) 227-1327

It is right on the Gulf beach and nice. I am not sure what the weather is going to be like in December though as it is in NW Florida. You can go to the Florida State Park website and check for vacancies and reserve spots. I checked this morning and there are plenty sites still available in December.

Remember that most of the Florida State parks do not have sewer hookup at the sites but there is a dump station. It is worth it for the low fess though. There are some that do have on site but these are few and far between.

Good luck !!!