Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #1

Food for thought

Whenever we have someone that has or had problems with their unit many automatically say that it is JAYCO and not the dealer for letting something out of the factory that is not perfect and thus sold. Many of us have said the dealer also has a major responsibility to provide backup (a thorough inspection and corrections) prior to delivery.

The reason I bring this up many say that doesn't happen with automobiles. As I and others have also mentioned auto dealers have the same "backup" obligation, but most if not all do it properly unlike many RV dealers. Having just browsed the car adds in the local paper I found the fine print that confirms just that.

" Taxes, title, Administrative fees and Dealer prep of $799 not included These charges represent costs and profit to the dealer for items such as inspecting, cleaning and adjusting vehicles as well as documents related to the sale". So obviously cars don"t arrive at the dealership in perfect condition either. They just don't leave the lot with the obvious problems.

Just thought I'd throw that out out for discussion since many bash JAYCO and let their dealer off the hook when something isn't right.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:17 PM   #2

Food For Throught 2

Bought my first 5th wheel 2005,now have 2016 Eagle.Have all the same problems.I think there is still very little regulation on the RV Industry.Just one example the rear window in my Eagle is suppose to be fire exit.Factory put in fixed glass then put the fire exit sticker on the wall.Simple no one to complain to at the state or Federal level.And really no one who cares!Happy Trails
Attached Thumbnails
Best SS 12-5-16.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Just one example the rear window in my Eagle is suppose to be fire exit.Factory put in fixed glass then put the fire exit sticker on the wall.Simple no one to complain to at the state or Federal level.And really no one who cares!Happy Trails
NHTSA would require a recall on that. Have you contacted JAYCO?
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:38 PM   #4

"Whenever we have someone that has or had problems with their unit many automatically say that it is JAYCO and not the dealer for letting something out of the factory that is not perfect and thus sold. Many of us have said the dealer also has a major responsibility to provide backup (a thorough inspection and corrections) prior to delivery."

Wish I would of known more about a PDI. Ours was a load and go pickup. When we got to our site 30 miles down the road from the dealer and setup, it was like what the _ _ _ _?
For example the flooring was damaged and dented through out, the fire place was hanging out about 1 1/2" from the entertainment center, the refrigerator panel had 1/8" deep worn marks in them from the handles rubbing from the center island and etc. I agree, I don't think when it left Jayco it was like that. What happened from Jayco to the dealer is what I thought and couldn't believe the dealer didn't catch any of it.
I bought a 2014 minivan and agree they must do a thorough and complete pre delivery. I had only one issue at 20,000 miles since owning it. The passenger seat belt failed and I couldn't get the mother in law out of my van. Now that's something to complain about!
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadester View Post
Wish I would of known more about a PDI. Ours was a load and go pickup. When we got to our site 30 miles down the road from the dealer and setup, it was like what the _ _ _ _?
Your making my point exactly. Our dealer schedules 1 1/2 to 2 hrs for a customer walk through/orientation prior to it leaving the lot. They even still do it for me which is kind of ironic, since they wanted me to do them after I retired.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:38 PM   #6
Site Team

" Taxes, title, Administrative fees and Dealer prep of $799 not included These charges represent costs and profit to the dealer for items such as inspecting, cleaning and adjusting vehicles as well as documents related to the sale".

Crabman would never buy a vehicle there. With the invention of the internet you can price comparison shop for vehicles so easily now its hard for the dealers to pull a fast one on the informed buyer. MSRP, dealer invoice and all rebates are easily accessible. And add ons like doc fees sticks out like a sore thumb.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Crabman would never buy a vehicle there. With the invention of the internet you can price comparison shop for vehicles so easily now its hard for the dealers to pull a fast one on the informed buyer. MSRP, dealer invoice and all rebates are easily accessible. And add ons like doc fees sticks out like a sore thumb.
Thank you Al Gore!
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
" Taxes, title, Administrative fees and Dealer prep of $799 not included These charges represent costs and profit to the dealer for items such as inspecting, cleaning and adjusting vehicles as well as documents related to the sale".

You missed the point. Automobile dealers are also required to fix the factory mistakes whether they add a fee to the sale or not.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:20 PM   #9

Agreed..

My last PDI lasted 4 hours and I found several problems that would have really made me upset with Jayco AND the dealer had I not. Circuits miswired so some items that should not be - were on 100% of the time. Cabinets in the slideout that would change shape and fail to open (or close) depending on the position of the slide. A few damaged trim pieces, and other more minor irritants.

Even with all that time, I still found a few problems our first year actually using it, as expected -

The customer PDI is so important. Even though I feel like I know quite a bit now about these trailers, I anticipate all of my PDI's taking this much time. I break things for a living so it's a matter of pride for me when I find problems. I guarantee I will find them given enough time. That skill is what allowed my to purchase my camper to begin with.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:46 PM   #10

I don't think that comparing RV delivery to Automobile delivery is a very good analogy. Automobiles and trucks are (now) precision engineered machines. They are assembled with bolts and precision welding by robots, and have to conform to a raft of safety standards. As a result of all this, we pay a lot more for an automobile or truck per pound (only real comparison I can find) than we do for an RV.

The fact is, RV's are assembled by humans using nails and staples. There is little automation on the assembly line. An RV has systems that you do not find on a car. Two different voltage electrical systems, plumbing, kitchen appliances; all that have to withstand earthquake forces and hurricane force winds every time they move. Sounds a lot more like a house to me (aside from the disaster forces). In my area, a house is going to set you back about $150/sf. A travel trailer is even cheaper than that. But comparing delivery of an RV to a house is probably a lot more appropriate.

When you purchase a new house, you generally have a walkthrough with the builder (PDI) where a list (often long) of deficiencies is identified that must be fixed by the builder within a reasonable time or, in our area, you make a claim against the New Home Warranty program (which will fester for 5 years until the time is up and you will be left with nothing).

Taking delivery of an RV strikes me as being marginally better than taking delivery of a new home, and easier to swap if you get a lemon. Now, if we wanted RV's built to the standards of automobiles, we should be prepared to pay accordingly.

I love looking at some of the amazingly solidly built RV's in the Australian market, and keep thinking it would be a great import opportunity, until I look at what they cost down under and realize that no one in North America would likely pay that kind of money. It would be a limited business at best for the same reason we don't sell a lot of Rolls Royces here either. I could be wrong on that, maybe there is a market for a really well built RV here, but would you pay at least a 50% premium and maybe even 100% more for one over a conventionally built trailer of the same size?

I do think the industry is a little bit broken right now, and there is enough blame to go around for everyone. No answers here, just the advice to purchase your next RV with your eyes wide open, and understanding exactly what you are buying and how it was put together and delivered to you.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
I don't think that comparing RV delivery to Automobile delivery is a very good analogy. Automobiles and trucks are (now) precision engineered machines.
But many on here do, which was my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Automobiles and trucks are (now) precision engineered machines.
And some are still shipped with problems/mistakes that the dealer has to fix before it's sold. Also just look at the number of major recalls in recent years. So they have their problems at the much higher price point.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
NHTSA would require a recall on that. Have you contacted JAYCO?
Thanks repair is done waited 3 weeks for replacement glass!Here is another good one,solar jack on roof was wired in reverse.Not having much electrical experience took me a couple days to figure that one out.Go Power didn't believe me had to send a picture.Happy Trails
Attached Thumbnails
Best SS 12-5-16.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #13

It all comes down to the basic fact that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Many suppliers of sub-assemblies and supplies
Jayco assembles the pieces into an RV
The unit is shipped/driven to the dealer
The dealer puts the finishing touches on the RV as part of the sale.

So, when we are on our first boondocking trip and the flame in the fridge keeps going out, who's fault is it?

I didn't care. I tore into the propane system in the middle of the woods and fixed it. Whoever made the pipe from the gas solenoid to the burner, didn't clear all of the filings and oil from the pipe. The fridge tested good at the factory, in the dealer's lot and Camp Driveway. Until being run full-bore a mile from the nearest paved road.

I might have a warrantee claim against Dometic, but since it working fine now, I'm leaving it alone.

Not Jayco's fault. Not the dealer's fault. And the hair on my right hand has grown back.

These are VERY complicated systems of sub-systems. The Dealer is supposed to take care of all the repairs needed (both warenty and customer paid) to keep our RV's operating properly. Anytime anyone falls short, the complaints start!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote