Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > General Jayco RV Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #1

Footage of Trailer caught in Multi Vehicle Accident Aug 2nd.

Flat bed truck apparently clipped a car causing the chain reaction. A travel trailer unfortunately was caught up in the mess yesterday evening in Barrie, Ontario

Aerial footage
https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.4039056

This new article looks like hitch off but those safety chains are still attached.
https://www.barrietoday.com/local-ne...lision-1005425

Seeing the footage of the damage to the trailer and the force of the twisting between hooked vehicle and trailer shows how delicate the frames are on them.

Reports were three minor injuries. Luckly there was a major trama hospital across the highway from the accident. I was stuck on highway about 1/2 km back. Highway was closed 7 hours but I was able to get off after about 2 hours as they worked to turned us all around and sent us off using a on ramp.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #2

Surprised to see the motorcycle loaded on the back of the flatbed still perfectly in position.

400 is my least favorite highway in Ontario. You can be doing 140 and the school buses will still be passing you with the students flipping you the bird. Not saying that speed was a contributing factor here at all, just that I hate that highway...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:08 AM   #3

True story....back in the late 80's I was pulling a 20' Aljo behind my shortbed F150 on I-5 in the middle of Olympia. Wall to wall cars as I was getting ready to exit. Suddenly, the trailer starts weaving (only going 55-60 at this point as that was about all I did the whole trip). It was like everything went into slow motion, I first tried the trailer brake manually to straighten out and slow down as the trailer was trying to get out in front of the truck, I tried accelerating and still kept some pressure on the trailer brack. When that didn't work, I started for the shoulder hoping to get out of the traffic, but when I looked up all the other traffic had cleared out. The trailer ultimately did a full 180 dragging the truck along with it so that we ended up in the shoulder pointed the opposite direction and at the last second the trailer went over....hitch was a good one as it pulled the truck over on it's side.

Culprit was some bad tires (we had only bought the trailer the month before) both blew at the same time (according to State Patrol who walked the accident scene with me). The wrecker guy and me had to use a sledge to break the hitch loose from the trailer as it was bound up, but those old equalizer hitches were sure solid. The trailer....suffered so little damage, the wrecker guy wanted to buy the salvage and make it his own personal trailer.

Angels definately watching over me and my wife that day...ultimately restored the truck too (89 F150 with only 22K miles on it.)
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote