Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #1

Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent - no longer available in Canada!

Hello All, For the last two years I have used Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent to very successfully keep the mice at bay during winter storage. For some bizarre reason Canada Border Services has stopped all shipments of this product. I went to two RV dealers who I know use the product in their own units and both told me the same thing.

Anyone have suggestions for a similar product available here in Canada? I wish I had known this last week while we were camping in Maine. There was a TSC next to our campground, I would have loaded up!

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:20 PM   #2

Amazon.com or other mail order?

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #3

I would check a farm supply store

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #4

Moth balls, steel wool stuffed into all crevices. Works for us.
goldenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #5

I just bought Fresh Cab online last week at Mills Fleet Farm: www.fleetfarm.com. I cannot tell you if they would ship it to Canada.

I usually buy it at my local Ace Hardware store but they told me Fresh Cab has changed their formulation of the product and are having issues with Government permits to sell and ship the new repellent.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #6

Even if the U.S. places ship to Canada, it is the importer’s responsibility to know if the item is allowed in Canada. So, CBSA May seize it at the border and then you’re SOL for the product and the money you spent on it.

We didn’t use Fresh Cab, but another brand that I suspect has similar ingredients or was also advertised as a mouse repellent as we can no longer buy it here and their web site states they can no longer sell it. (Can’t remember the brand right now but will update when I remember). My husband went in to buy some for storage and this is when he found out. And the RV dealer had apparently known since May that this was coming and if they would have told us any of the last 10 times we’d be in there before it was gone, we would have stocked up.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
Even if the U.S. places ship to Canada, it is the importer’s responsibility to know if the item is allowed in Canada. So, CBSA May seize it at the border and then you’re SOL for the product and the money you spent on it.
I concur completely. I appreciated those suggesting US retailers but knew that any mail order would not be viable since the CBSA appears to be looking for the product.

I am stumped for effective solutions. I know Bounce sheets don't work since I previously found a nest in the box of bounce sheets I had left on another RV. I have blocked holes to the best of my ability, but reality is short of pressurizing the unit and looking for air flow there is no way to find every crevice.

I have heard peppermint oil can be effective, it was an ingredient in Fresh Cab. I might try that. I already spray my gravel parking spot with a salt/vinegar mixture to kill the weeds growing underneath and eliminate sources of cover for the rodents. I might add the peppermint to that mixture to see if it helps deter them.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #8

Just put wire mesh under my batteries in my fiver!Look like great access point for those little critters.
Attached Thumbnails
Cactus 011.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #9

Tried finding the Fresh Cab, but to no avail. Ace, TSC, Amazon are all out. As for what I used in my TT last year in New Hampshire, was steel wool in the slide pockets, moth balls under the camper, and real peppermint oil. I put the peppermint oil on cotton balls in disposable plastic cups. The camper was 34 feet long and I had 4 cups throughout the camper and no mice to be found..hopefully our new FW will be mouse proof as the underside is enclosed..

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #10

We use an electronic ( ultrasonic) mouse repellent. It emits sounds that mice hate. It works in our RV and our house but it needs a power source. We keep our unit hooked to shore power.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:10 AM   #11

Remove all food sources from your RV and buy some Tom Cat bait traps to take care of any small visitors that get past your exterior blocking.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #12

if you put bait traps INSIDE your rv you might as well just leave food out as well. the whole purpose of them is to bait the animal to it with food fragrances. the whole purpose is to make your rv unappealing to animals not make it smell good its just not a good idea
kiknads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #13

Bait traps have never worked. Sure the mice die. In the walls. Meanwhile before dying they have eaten whatever they can use for insulating their nests. Your foam mattress. Your cushions.

Keep them out and put the bait around the outside. As thats not practical in snow country we try to make the interior environment uninviting . Thats why the sonic repeller.

It only took fifty years and several appliances and lots of gnawed stuff in the garage for us to learn this.
Sealing every opening with aluminum screening will work too
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/366.../#.WeAb_2hSy00

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:08 AM   #14

We use steel wool at openings and moth balls in the storage areas that are open to the inside. Seems to be working for us. Does the Grayhawk 29MV have any access points to the camper from the storage units?
goldenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote