Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2022, 10:20 AM   #1

Fresh tank question

I am currently a camp host with FHU's. Will stay here for a few months.
I am in a somewhat humid area of Iowa.

Question.....

There is about 30 - 40 gls of water in fresh tank. With the humidity i am afraid of mold.

So, should I empty it and then put some bleach in (how much if empty) (is bleach ok in empty tank?)

Or should I leave water in tank and add bleach? How much?

TIA!!
Spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 10:29 AM   #2

I would drain the tank since you don't need it. Then when you go to leave sanitize it before you get ready to add water.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:35 AM   #3

I agree with Grumpy - No need to keep water in the tank if you are not going to use it for an extended time...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 10:48 AM   #4

Ok, but the empty tank wont get moldy before it dries out? I'm worried with the humidity it could take a long time to dry out.
Spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:51 PM   #5

I view it slightly differently. Algae is probably a bigger issue. It sounds like you have never sanitized your system.

Add a little bleach(1/4 cup per 15 gallons), fill the tank full, let it sit overnight, drain it. Flush it to get the excess bleach out.

Then two options. Leave it empty. Or add some water back into the tank, so if the power or water system (well water) failure, you have some water to get by. Every few weeks I would drain, and add some fresh water.

In really you could just drain and forget it. Then sanitize at least once a year. I sanitize every spring.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:12 PM   #6
CAG

There is always 5 or so gals in the bottom of fresh water tanks. It never hurts to add a small amount of bleach (1/4 cup or less) and a few more gals of water to keep it clean.

Flush it before you fill to use it.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:27 PM   #7

Maybe better in Iowa than Florida!
If you are on municipal water supply that is treated, you could fill your fresh tank and leave it filled for a day or so and then drain it, doing so once a week or so. I would also run the water pump to circulate some treated water through the pump supply lines.
In general, if you don't use the fresh tank often, it is always a good idea to sanitize it as suggested.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:56 PM   #8

Agree with others, no need to leave water in the tank, in attempt to prevent mold/algae.

Perform a yearly sanitize as instructed by @Jagiven.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Add some water back into the tank, so if the power or water system (well water) failure, you have some water to get by. Every few weeks I would drain, and add some fresh water.
I have to agree here. We lost power twice last summer and had no water either due to the well losing power too. Once was a few hours, the second time was 3 days. I will now always have some water in the tank so I can at least flush the toilet.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 04:13 PM   #10

if im using water from a untreated source, i'll santize after that use but generally i will do it a minimum of each year. We never use the fresh water tanks for consumption, only cleaning and showers but i like to make sure nothing is growing in my fresh water tank. I use chlorine to sanitize and get at Walmart mart by the gallons. Petty basic procedure. this link explains process and recipes

https://www.rvtalk.net/how-to-sanitize-rv-water-tank/
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 04:37 PM   #11
CAG

Quote:
only cleaning and showers

Cleaning what? Showers? None gets up your nose, in your mouth or eyes? I think I would be sanitizing as it goes into the fresh water tank. There are just too many little critters that can cause some serious issues even just bathing.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Cleaning what? Showers? None gets up your nose, in your mouth or eyes? I think I would be sanitizing as it goes into the fresh water tank. There are just too many little critters that can cause some serious issues even just bathing.
my Butt, what do you think CAG.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:28 PM   #13
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
my Butt, what do you think CAG.

I'm not sure the sarcasm is necessary. My point was legitimate.

Old 07-08-2022, 07:40 AM   #14
Site Team

I don't recall ever having a problem with fresh water and algae. I always travel with some in the tank for use when traveling and drain it often and refill with city water. Never more than 1/3 tank, often less.

Never felt any pressing need to completely drain it anyhow.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:07 AM   #15

I thought algae needs light to grow. Photosynthesis??
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:19 AM   #16
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I thought algae needs light to grow. Photosynthesis??
It seems to grow well in our heat in water heaters and water tanks. I forgot to drain the water heater one trip and got 6 gals of black water out of it when I started up again. Not sure that was algae but it was not nice and remember most fresh water tanks are placed where light can get to them and do allow some light through.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:29 AM   #17

Quote:
I'm not sure the sarcasm is necessary. My point was legitimate.
how many times have you filled with well water (untreated) Think about your point...
Old 07-08-2022, 11:15 AM   #18
CAG

Quote:
how many times have you filled with well water (untreated) Think about your point...

I don't use the tank in this rig nor do I fill fill well water. When I did use the tank in the Cyclone, I treated/disinfected the tank prior even though it was city water (chlorine treated) going into the tank. That was done because the rig would sit for a few months and generally I found that there was 2-3 gals of water that did not drain and could contain critters. Were it well water I would do the same.

There is a process, and formula for adding chlorine (per gallon capacity) if you are going to add water that you are not sure of or suspect might be untreated.

My point was and is, showering, cleaning, whatever with water that you are not sure of leaves you open for coming down with some very unpleasant illness. Shower water washes over your face, nose and eyes. You lick your lips. You wash your hands with that water, and (forbid) brush your teeth, and there you go.

It is a simple process to add the required amount of chlorine as you are filling. The peace of mind alone would make my family happy and I would sure hate to have the entire family down with some intestinal disease on a back country camping trip.

So-there is my point.

Old 07-08-2022, 01:22 PM   #19

Quote:
I don't use the tank in this rig nor do I fill fill well water. When I did use the tank in the Cyclone, I treated/disinfected the tank prior even though it was city water (chlorine treated) going into the tank. That was done because the rig would sit for a few months and generally I found that there was 2-3 gals of water that did not drain and could contain critters. Were it well water I would do the same.

There is a process, and formula for adding chlorine (per gallon capacity) if you are going to add water that you are not sure of or suspect might be untreated.

My point was and is, showering, cleaning, whatever with water that you are not sure of leaves you open for coming down with some very unpleasant illness. Shower water washes over your face, nose and eyes. You lick your lips. You wash your hands with that water, and (forbid) brush your teeth, and there you go.

It is a simple process to add the required amount of chlorine as you are filling. The peace of mind alone would make my family happy and I would sure hate to have the entire family down with some intestinal disease on a back country camping trip.

So-there is my point.
if you are 'that' worried getting something from fresh water, I hope you stay out of lakes, streams, rivers and ponds.. Else you just might catch something you 'point out' In the mean time,, i'll enjoy my showers and continue to treat my fresh water tank the may most of us here does.. Cheers - Still LMAO
Old 07-08-2022, 03:09 PM   #20
CAG

Quote:
if you are 'that' worried getting something from fresh water, I hope you stay out of lakes, streams, rivers and ponds.. Else you just might catch something you 'point out' In the mean time,, i'll enjoy my showers and continue to treat my fresh water tank the may most of us here does.. Cheers - Still LMAO

Yep LMAO. Cheers