Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2022, 09:47 AM   #1

fresh water tank filling and overflowing on city water

Having the trouble many seem to have with the water pump. With pump off, the city water fills the fresh water tank and overflows out of tubes on the undercarriage. Tried the cycling of city/fresh water pump many times to no avail. My trailer is a 2019 Jayco 2SRLS. May just need a new pump if that valve is stuck. First question is "any ideas on another fix beyond replacing pump" and what is the existing GPM rating on the existing pump. Don't want to buy an expensive 5 GPM if it is only a 3GPM pump that works great!
Ranger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 10:25 AM   #2
CAG

https://learntorv.com/water-pump-check-valve/

There are numerous threads here on this that can be found by using the search feature above and/or you can go to the Internet and use Google. A pretty common problem.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 10:36 AM   #3
CAG

Here is another one with info on the check valve at the city water connection. Not sure if this is your case but there are more available to view.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 10:39 AM   #4

Could also be an issue with the valves switching to “dry camping” setting. If they are not fully engaged water could pass by and end up in your tanks.

Need to check the easy stuff first before replacing a pump that have been fairly reliable from my perspective.
Old 03-20-2022, 03:27 PM   #5

Mine did this. It was the check valve. Good youtube videos out there on replacing the valve, but all I had to do was push gently on it to unstick it. Wouldn't be surprised if it happens again and I have to replace the valve, the the only hard part was getting the pump removed from tight quarters so I could work on it.
Old 03-22-2022, 04:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
https://learntorv.com/water-pump-check-valve/

There are numerous threads here on this that can be found by using the search feature above and/or you can go to the Internet and use Google. A pretty common problem.
Yes I have been there and I did all the cycling and air venting they suggested. Sometimes a dead horse is just a dead horse. if I go through the trouble to pull the pump out to check the valve I wanna have a spare pump handy when I do just in case I can’t put it back together again!
Old 03-22-2022, 04:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRick View Post
Mine did this. It was the check valve. Good youtube videos out there on replacing the valve, but all I had to do was push gently on it to unstick it. Wouldn't be surprised if it happens again and I have to replace the valve, the the only hard part was getting the pump removed from tight quarters so I could work on it.
Thanks for the reply. I have already ordered a pump just to be safe in case I go through the trouble of pulling this one out and I can’t fix it. I haven’t seen any schematics on how to take the pump apart and put it back together again so I kind of question whether I can do it or not just by common sense. need to know what to look for. for the whopping total of $70 I will have a new pump at least as a spare. The dealer wanted $174 for the same pump!
Old 03-23-2022, 03:57 PM   #8

Search youtube for "rv water pump check valve". A video showing how to replace the check valve will work for teaching you how to disassemble and reassemble. There are several. It's really pretty easy.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:28 AM   #9

We have a 2015 X213 that has really poor water pressure inside and the freshwater overflow is draining my whole tank.

I’ve replaced the water pump and the city fill and still have issues.

The freshwater overflow pours out until the tank is empty.
The water pressure inside is so weak it won’t flush the toilet.

Seems like something is just blocked… I’ve traced the lines as best I can and found no internal leaks. Any ideas?
MichLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichLC View Post
We have a 2015 X213 that has really poor water pressure inside and the freshwater overflow is draining my whole tank.

I’ve replaced the water pump and the city fill and still have issues.

The freshwater overflow pours out until the tank is empty.
The water pressure inside is so weak it won’t flush the toilet.

Seems like something is just blocked… I’ve traced the lines as best I can and found no internal leaks. Any ideas?

Is it possible that your low point drains are open rather than the water from the overflow?
Old 05-27-2022, 02:26 PM   #11

The low point valve is closed.
The overflow doesn’t have a shut off.

I do appreciate your thoughts and reply.

This one boggles the mind.
We’re taking off in a minute to go camping. Hopefully we hit a magic pothole that fixes it.

Thanks,
M
MichLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 04:22 PM   #12
Site Team

The overflow line is high up on the side of the tanks, and shouldn't drain it empty. I wonder if some lines are connected to the wrong ports. It may be a stretch, but anything's possible.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:29 AM   #13

Took our maiden voyage up to Jekyll Island last week and if you go look for site c10 best in the park. We did have the fresh tank overfill and drain problem caused by leaky pump check valve. Cycling the pump fixed it but that gremlin will most likely resurface. I have seen post about adding aux valve in the plumbing lines and the controversy about which side of the pump to put it. I am thinking of going a step further and adding a 12v off at rest solenoid valve in the system to isolate city water and pump water completely. Seems like one could parallel it with the pump switch wires and both would be energized when switch is activated. Anyone done this, any ideas appreciated.
Dogdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:02 AM   #14

Assuming you don't have a Showermiser, it's likely a stuck check valve in the fresh water pump.

If cycling the pump on/off a few times with water in the tank doesn't work, then I'd recommend adding this external check valve on the suction side of the pump, takes about five minutes to install and works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote