Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2018, 07:05 PM   #1

Fresh water tank goo

Working on getting my TT ready to go camping this weekend, finally! sanitizing the fresh water tank and system and I have a question for those who may know what this is. See picture below, what is that stuff? Come out of the fresh water tank when I drained it of bleach\water solution after sanitizing the system. I have flushed it three times, once with bleach\water then fresh only and bleach\water again. Each time the pile grows.

Thanks all for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
20180424_190813.jpg  
TheB2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:53 AM   #2

My hope s that your pump inlet screen might have collected some of this before it travels, first guess was iron deposits, but does it seem like paper if you have looked at it closer?
Old 04-25-2018, 05:45 AM   #3

My first thought is some type of algae. what does it feel like? Is it smooth, and slimy or is if rough?

Have you checked the sediment screen at the pump inlet?

Do you tend to leave water in the tank?

No matter what, I would flush, flush, flush some more, and maybe even double strength the bleach solution and let it soak overnight.

The outlet hose is 1/2", but the little white drain valve is 1/4". I might remove the little valve so you can get more flow through the drain tube.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:52 AM   #4

B2B,

This may not be a question leading to an answer, but what model and year is your rig?

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:05 AM   #5

I don't know specifically what that is, but in our HTT, which was the first RV with a fresh water holding tank that we owned, we would drain the fresh water tank after every trip. After owning for about 5 years, we had to make repairs to the floor which required the removal of the fresh water tank.

The inside of the fresh water tank was pretty gross even though we sanitized it at the beginning of each season. There was a large area that was covered in pinkish/yellowish algae. I figured that by draining the tank all the time, it left just a little bit of water that easily formed algae. Since the tank was out, it was easy to see and clean. I used about a cup of bleach in the 32 gallon tank and let it sit until the algae was gone. Then I repeated for good measure.

I sure was glad we never drank out of the fresh water system. In our next RV, we kept the tank about 1/2 full all the time, except when winterized, and didn't have any problems.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:09 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies folks, I have not pulled and checked the pump screen but will be doing that later on this evening.
Wabrich the "goo" as I have dubbed it when it dries out is very much paper like, rice paper like. So I don't believe it is iron deposits. I also drain the tank after each trip out, will start draining as I pull out of the campground so it drains as I move down the road.
Currently on my 4th flush, last one I let bleach\water solution sit for 24 hours, now filling up with fresh water and let that flush out and will fill and drain one more time before we leave. Finally will partially fill the tank and head out and let it slosh around in the tank for a bit then open the valve and let it drain one more time before we get to the campground.
As for John from Central Florida it is a 2014 24RBS Whitehawk, like you not sure if that going to have any baring on the question.

Bit of good news this morning the pile did not grow after my latest flushing, still going to do at least two more. Report back on the pump filter if I find anything in it.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:29 AM   #7
Site Team

We had to winterize with rv anti freeze for the first time in a long while. When I un-winterized I forgot to drain the fresh tank that had a little pink stuff and some water. When we did drain it, there was a think gunk in it like clear, thick water. I drained it, flushed the tank and sanitized it and all seems ok now.

We never drink that water anyway but it was a first.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
I don't know specifically what that is, but in our HTT, which was the first RV with a fresh water holding tank that we owned, we would drain the fresh water tank after every trip. After owning for about 5 years, we had to make repairs to the floor which required the removal of the fresh water tank.

The inside of the fresh water tank was pretty gross even though we sanitized it at the beginning of each season. There was a large area that was covered in pinkish/yellowish algae. I figured that by draining the tank all the time, it left just a little bit of water that easily formed algae. Since the tank was out, it was easy to see and clean. I used about a cup of bleach in the 32 gallon tank and let it sit until the algae was gone. Then I repeated for good measure.

I sure was glad we never drank out of the fresh water system. In our next RV, we kept the tank about 1/2 full all the time, except when winterized, and didn't have any problems.

-Michael
Very interesting as I am on start of our 5th year of ownership of the TT. Just to be clear when I sanitize the system I am using 1 cup per 15 gallons of water or 3 cups as the tank is 42 gallons I then fill it until completely full. But like you Michael I drain the tank completely after each trip out. May need to look at that, might start leaving the tank partially filled and add a bit of bleach between each camping trip then flush it just before I head out to go camping.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:58 AM   #9

If when it dries out and seems to have the consistency of rice paper, I would say that it's nothing more than mineral deposits. A lot of campsites have well water that's full of minerals (as well as some city water systems).

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB2B View Post
Thanks for the replies folks, I have not pulled and checked the pump screen but will be doing that later on this evening.
Wabrich the "goo" as I have dubbed it when it dries out is very much paper like, rice paper like. So I don't believe it is iron deposits. I also drain the tank after each trip out, will start draining as I pull out of the campground so it drains as I move down the road.
Currently on my 4th flush, last one I let bleach\water solution sit for 24 hours, now filling up with fresh water and let that flush out and will fill and drain one more time before we leave. Finally will partially fill the tank and head out and let it slosh around in the tank for a bit then open the valve and let it drain one more time before we get to the campground.
As for John from Central Florida it is a 2014 24RBS Whitehawk, like you not sure if that going to have any baring on the question.

Bit of good news this morning the pile did not grow after my latest flushing, still going to do at least two more. Report back on the pump filter if I find anything in it.
You may want to remove and clean all filters (or replace) and screens just in case the 'sediment' made its way into the lines and faucets. And flush the HWH.
Faucets (inside and out), filter(s), pump, etc.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Just to be clear when I sanitize the system I am using 1 cup per 15 gallons of water or 3 cups as the tank is 42 gallons I then fill it until completely full.
That's a heavy ratio of bleach to sanitize (over and over as you say). Things I've read here and elsewhere suggest a 1/4 cup per 15 gallons. Is that heavy bleach mix possibly shedding the interior plastic wall of your fresh water tank? Just a speculation.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:07 PM   #12

I wonder if your problem is being caused by using a way too strong bleach mixture. Bleach will destroy many types of plastic. RV tanks are supposed to be made of polyethylene, which is resistant, but maybe not 4 times as much bleach as recommended... you're not even supposed to pour it full strength down the filler tube.
bigironcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Working on getting my TT ready to go camping this weekend, finally! sanitizing the fresh water tank and system and I have a question for those who may know what this is. See picture below, what is that stuff? Come out of the fresh water tank when I drained it of bleach\water solution after sanitizing the system. I have flushed it three times, once with bleach\water then fresh only and bleach\water again. Each time the pile grows.

Thanks all for your help.
How did you manage to take a picture of the inside of your fresh water tank?
Old 04-25-2018, 12:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
How did you manage to take a picture of the inside of your fresh water tank?
That picture is of the concrete under the TT.

After seeing this post, I was thinking about grabbing my bore scope when the HTT comes out of storage and check the tank condition.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #15

Quote:
I wonder if your problem is being caused by using a way too strong bleach mixture. Bleach will destroy many types of plastic. RV tanks are supposed to be made of polyethylene, which is resistant, but maybe not 4 times as much bleach as recommended... you're not even supposed to pour it full strength down the filler tube.
Not going in full strength, mixed with couple gallons of water then I fill the tank up. The last go around with bleach\water I did not get any "goo" out of the tank. Speaking of bleach, seen one video on line that said to use a quart of bleach per 15 gallons. Think about that.