Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2014, 08:56 PM   #1

Fridge not starting

I need some help my Norcold fridge

The trailer was parked for the week, but it ran out of propane so the fridge went out and we lost all that was inside
The green and yellow light were both flashing
After I switch the propane tank, I thought the fridge would start again but the two lights keep flashing and the fridge is not cooling
I tried putting it to off and to gas but nothing change
What should I do?
Philpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #2

Are you plugged into shore power? If not is the battery fully charged? If yes to either you may have to purge the air in the propane line by turning on the furnace or stove.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:02 PM   #3

No I'm not plugged in and I would think the battery is not full since it's been a couple days
I tried the stove for a minute and the flame was kinda weak at the beginning, so I assumed it was purged afterwards
Old 07-31-2014, 09:11 PM   #4

If stove lit it should be purged... Can u plug in just to make sure that u have enough power to run fridge? You said it was parked for a week so maybe it's a power issue.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:17 PM   #5

We're leaving tomorrow for a camping trip, 3 hours drive
I'm hoping the battery will charge enough on the road
I'll be able to plug the trailer into shore once we are at the camping
Will have to wait until next day for the fridge to be cold
Old 08-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #6

How fast did you open the propane valve? Propane tanks have a safety valve. You have to open the the valve slowly to pressurize the line and gegenschein you open the valve all the way.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #7

Try resetting the safetly valve by shutting off the tank(s) then opening a stove valve to depressurize the system. Close the stove valve after a several seconds then go back and slowly open the tank valve. You can also try lighting the furnace to help purge the line. It takes my fridge 5-10 times to light if I don't purge the system and 2-3 attempts if I light the furnace first.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #8

Usualy when you know you have gas and it does not light its usually because the battery is drained below where it needs to be to produce an intense enough spark to light the small burner for the refer. Remember the small amount of gas it uses takes a good arch to get lit since theres not much gas there... I banged my heard for hours before I plugged in and it lit right up.... You can test this is it allows you to light it manially with a match, at least then you know you have good gas flow, hold the match in there when its going through its lighting sequence, and if it lights with a match and burns good then you know its a drained battery. CAUTION: make sure you wait after 2 attempts before attempting to manually light it. Gas does build up in small areas quickly.
Jayrundle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
Try resetting the safetly valve by shutting off the tank(s) then opening a stove valve to depressurize the system. Close the stove valve after a several seconds then go back and slowly open the tank valve. You can also try lighting the furnace to help purge the line. It takes my fridge 5-10 times to light if I don't purge the system and 2-3 attempts if I light the furnace first.
+1 for safety check valve on propane tank. I have had the same thing happen, and I had a very weak flame on the stove top. Gas wasn't flowing enough to make the fridge go. I closed the tank valve, unhooked the pigtail to reset the valve, reattached everything, turned on the valve on the tank VERY SLOWLY. By the time I got back inside, I had a strong flame on the stove top, and the fridge lit on the first try.

Of course, if there's not enough 12-volt to spark the burner, that's a problem too.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #10

Once you open the propane tank valves slowly and then fully you should light the burners on the stove top and then turn them back off. After that try the fridge. You still might need to go through a few cycles of it not lighting for you. All this depends on having a good battery.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote