Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-29-2016, 09:03 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
RP53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Jonesborough
Posts: 197
fridge question

we really don't use the freezer in our TT, if we take the door of the freezer could uld we use that space as a frig. without freezing everything
__________________

__________________
SOB
2014 Chevy Z71
RP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:13 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 178
Unfortunately, no. I don't think there's a way to keep the upper fins from freezing.
__________________

justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:14 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP53 View Post
we really don't use the freezer in our TT, if we take the door of the freezer could uld we use that space as a frig. without freezing everything
Your post is kinda hazy about what you want to do with the freezer door. I don't think so as the freezer is what cools your fridge, same as in your house.
__________________
2012 Eagle 320 RLDS
2017 Ford F-250 6.2l
3.73 E-locker
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:43 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
RP53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Jonesborough
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
Your post is kinda hazy about what you want to do with the freezer door. I don't think so as the freezer is what cools your fridge, same as in your house.
we would just like to have more space in the frig
__________________
SOB
2014 Chevy Z71
RP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:20 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP53 View Post
we would just like to have more space in the frig
Unfortunately, gas absorption fridges don't work that way. The very cold refrigerant runs past the plate that forms the freezer and then rolls past the fins in the fridge.

The thermostat only controls the fridge temperature, so that it stays as cold as possible without freezing.

If you compromise the insulation for the freezer section, too warm refrigerant will be delivered to the refrigerator section and you'll have plenty of spoiled food.

Best solution: Figure out what supplies can start the trip frozen and move them down to the fridge as space becomes available.
__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
RP53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Jonesborough
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Unfortunately, gas absorption fridges don't work that way. The very cold refrigerant runs past the plate that forms the freezer and then rolls past the fins in the fridge.

The thermostat only controls the fridge temperature, so that it stays as cold as possible without freezing.

If you compromise the insulation for the freezer section, too warm refrigerant will be delivered to the refrigerator section and you'll have plenty of spoiled food.

Best solution: Figure out what supplies can start the trip frozen and move them down to the fridge as space becomes available.
thanks Mike that answers my question
__________________
SOB
2014 Chevy Z71
RP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP53 View Post
thanks Mike that answers my question
Glad I could help.

Since we normally go for long weekends now, the freeze some trick isn't as effective as it once was.

What I do too is fire up the fridge over a week in advance and make lots of ice... That way there are plenty of cold drinks without the cans and bottles filling the fridge.

That only works for soft or mixed drinks. Beer's gotta be near-the-fins cold right from the can.
__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:53 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
RP53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Jonesborough
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Glad I could help.

Since we normally go for long weekends now, the freeze some trick isn't as effective as it once was.

What I do too is fire up the fridge over a week in advance and make lots of ice... That way there are plenty of cold drinks without the cans and bottles filling the fridge.

That only works for soft or mixed drinks. Beer's gotta be near-the-fins cold right from the can.
I heard that
__________________

RP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.