Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2019, 09:31 PM   #1

Fridge Question

When I switch my fridge over to propane to travel pilot lights and everything is fine but when I stop after several hours on the road yellow light is flashing and fridge is off. Anyone else had this problem.
whdavis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #2
Site Team

If your fridge is not level, it'll overheat, and that's when the high temperature safety switch takes over. This is only a shot in the dark, since
we have limited info about your camper, and specifics on it's appliances.

Welcome to the forum from Western NY!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #3

2018 Jayco 28BHBE
Norcold Fridge
Old 08-12-2019, 09:53 PM   #4

Does it run fine on propane when sitting?
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:57 PM   #5

Yes
Old 08-12-2019, 10:00 PM   #6

I had a couple of instances where my fridge went into an error condition after switching from elect to propane. It was because the flame didn't light. Both times it happened after I had the tank refilled. The tank in my motor home is built in.

The first time was due to the tech leaving the valve turned off. The second time I turned the valve back on after it was filled but it apparently had an air bubble in it. The flame would simply not light. The stove burners would not light either. I bled the air through the stove until it lit normally. After that the fridge lit immediately.

Now before I unplug for my trip from home I force the unit into propane mode and make sure the flame comes on. I can hear it light up.

Oops.....I just saw the additional posts after finishing this one. Maybe it is getting blown out while driving. Make sure you have a nice blue flame. If not, clean things out. If the flame looks good and you think it may be blowing out while driving, strap your spouse to the side of the trailer so she can watch the flame. Ah, if we could only do this type of thing.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:45 AM   #7

I have a 28BHBE. One thing I notice is at times when I switch from electric to propane, the Fridge flame does not ignite. So, about 15 minutes or so before departing, I will switch over the refrigerator, and watch the lights to see if it don't start flashing. (Most of the time, it does) So, I switch it back to electric then wait a few seconds and then switch back to gas. It will usually light after the 2nd try. If It don't, then I go outside, take off the black refrigerator cover, rotate the flame access cover, unplug the electric plug from the outlet there inside the housing, then plug it back in, this forces the refrigerator to go from gas to electric, when unplugged, it goes to gas. If I see the flame ignite, I then go inside and switch the switch to gas. Outside and plug the power plug back in. I always double check to make sure the refrigerator is running on gas before I leave.
The light takes about 20-30 seconds before it will tell you it's not igniting and starts flashing.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:51 AM   #8

Some norcold units will have the flame blowout when going down the road. Tech at dealer added some foil tape around the burner chimney. Fixed our issue. If you fill a tank always do the air purge... Run the range burners first. Then try running fridge on propane. Our fridge is next to the trailer electric plug. When I remove the electric plug I listen for fridge to light. If it doesnt light I do another purge and try again.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I bled the air through the stove until it lit normally. After that the fridge lit immediately.

Now before I unplug for my trip from home I force the unit into propane mode and make sure the flame comes on. I can hear it light.
This. I have a 28BHBE also and I do this every time. The gas can leak or go stale in the line so this helps ensure that it is working, never had a problem. If you can't hear it light because the fridge is at temp, open the fridge door so it kicks on.
njburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:15 AM   #10

I also echo JimD's comments. Unless you verify that your fridge "lit off" when switching over, that may be the issue.

If mine sits for any length of time, I may have to turn mine off, then on 2 or 3 times before it lights as it moves the gas in the line. Not sure why that is, but somehow it loses pressure and has to be purged.

One thing that is curious to me is you mention that a "pilot light" in your post. Pretty sure that most newer fridges use electronic ignition now (no pilot). Is there actually a pilot that lights in these or is it the burner flame? I am not sure on that. I can hear my ignitor clicking when I switch over and if it doesn't light after 30 seconds or so, then it tries again...sometime after that I get the error light.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #11

I have to switch back and forth a few times to get the fridge to light. One thing I've started doing is turning a burner on the stove on just to make sure I've got gas flow in the system. Be sure to turn it off!
Tom51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #12

Fridge is Norcold N811RT. Has plenty of propane and comes back on when switched back to electricity. I keep it on all the time at home hooked up to 50amp connection. Runs fine on gas when sitting and always lights.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:32 PM   #13

I would say it is likely blowing out the flame when travelling then. As I said above rv tech added some aluminum tape to the chimney joints fixed ours. Could be a similar issue.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote