Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2016, 03:37 PM   #1

Fridge Smell

So I noticed a really rotten smell coming from the fridge after storage. Basically to be blunt it smells like rotten eggs or dirty socks. To the point where if you open it you can smell it on the other side of the trailer. The freezer has little to no smell. I just cleaned it with clorox wipes and put two containers of baking soda inside.

I was thinking possibly a dead animal, but I don't know where. I checked panel behind fridge, which I have screens on and nothing. Underbelly is sealed. Vent has screen, so not sure where smell is coming from. Fridge has been off for several days and smell is still there. I have run it off both propane and electric for our first few trips.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #2

Oooh ooh that smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
So I noticed a really rotten smell coming from the fridge after storage. Basically to be blunt it smells like rotten eggs or dirty socks. To the point where if you open it you can smell it on the other side of the trailer. The freezer has little to no smell. I just cleaned it with clorox wipes and put two containers of baking soda inside.

I was thinking possibly a dead animal, but I don't know where. I checked panel behind fridge, which I have screens on and nothing. Underbelly is sealed. Vent has screen, so not sure where smell is coming from. Fridge has been off for several days and smell is still there. I have run it off both propane and electric for our first few trips.

Rotten meat makes that smell...I had a freezer go out on me during a vacation and all the frozen meat went bad..had to sell the darn thing because of the smell..Perhaps you will have to pull it out and see if anything got under it..
Old 07-26-2016, 04:43 PM   #3

Is that a big task to pull it out? What precautions do I need to take?

Old 07-27-2016, 02:14 AM   #4

Once you determine what caused the smell and got rid of it, the best way to get your fridge back to normal is by crunching up into loose balls a bunch of newspaper. Than grind up several cups of coffee. Place the newspaper in the fridge and freezer and liberally spread in the coffee grounds and close the doors. The coffee helps remove the oder and the newspaper absorbs the bad smells. in a few days your fridge will have a nice coffee smell and after a while you won't notice any smells. I had rancid meat in a prior trailers fridge and this fixed it.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:02 AM   #5

When we come home from using our camper, we turn off the fridge and prop open the freezer door and fridge door so that any trapped moisture can get out.

Thoroughly search the inside of the fridge for any source of old food, including teh cooling fins inside the fridge. Then I would recommend that you wash the inside with a solution of dawn dish detergent and baking soda. Then get one of those baking soda odor packs from your local grocery store and put it in the fridge with the door open.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #6

Check the back of the fridge, there might be a tray that catches water from the freezer. When we first bought our TT we did not know about the tray (even though it has a drain on it. All the water does not drain). After using it the first time we had a bad smell. When we cleaned the fridge we found the tray. So now, after everytime we use it we leave the fridge and freezer door open until it drys. Then we take the tray out and dump the water thats left and wipe it out with a towel. We use 4:1 (4 parts water to one part bleach) bleach and water in a spray bottle. And do not forget to get in between the cooling fins.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:19 AM   #7

Thanks everyone for the tips. I found some "gunk" between oe of the racks when I pulled it. I also saw a small amount of standing water in the freezer. However, the smell was originally coming from the fridge. I left the door open all night. I stuck my head in there today and could barley smell anything. I placed some crumpled newspaper in there now and closed the door. Hopefully all is well and I do not need to pull the fridge!

Old 07-30-2016, 11:42 PM   #8

We are getting ready to head out and found a lovely surprise in the freezer - months old bratwurst that had been baking in the over 90 degree weather & rotting! To say our fridge stinks is an understatement! I scrubbed the heck out of it with soft scrub, baking soda, placed a bowl of vinegar, some coffee grounds, and some lemon juice in it to try to get rid of the smell. Even with all of that, it STILL smelled! Went to the store a few hours and picked up a container of activated charcoal. I took everything but the charcoal and lemon out and it's a noticeable difference! I wasn't about to be eating food that smelled like nasty, rotting, rancid bratwurst! LOL! Activated charcoal may be where it's at!
skdcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:00 PM   #9

Ditto on the coffee grounds and newspaper!
Old 07-31-2016, 03:10 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Be sure when Fridge is empty and not in use to leave the doors slightly open. Also clean it when it is thawed out.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:22 PM   #11

Our fridge has a small pin on each door that locks the doors open just a fraction. That's how I have it stored right now...is that good or should I go ahead and close them? I figured it would be better to keep them aired out while it's just sitting there powered down.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:45 PM   #12

Yes, when not in use, always leave the doors open on the fridge, Our new TT does not have the pins on the fridge and I really miss those, This one has a couple of pitiful little dodads that you slip in the handles to maintain the open gap, junk IMHO but, it is what it is.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:37 PM   #13

As with everything there are exceptions to the rule. In the desert heat it is not a good idea to store with the doors open. The doors can be susseptable to warping. That could be an urban legend passed to me by maintenance techs.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #14

Place a dish of vanilla essence in the fridge
stagnstable is offline   Reply With Quote