Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2016, 07:57 AM   #1

Friendly Rental

Another couple we have been friends with for about 10 years asked to rent my trailer.

They previously owned a similar sized unit that they used while building their current house.

I trust them completely and I know their skills with trailering (they still have the boat).

The only real question is how much is a fair rent. They brought up the issue as "rent" not "borrow".

I know they will cover all of their costs and return it in "as good" or "better than" when they took it.

SWMBO is worried about the possibility of "some idiot" crashing into the TT while it is in our friends' possession. As far as I am concerned, the "some idiot" scenario is just as likely as when we are out on the road and we'll have to settle for whatever the idiot's insurance pays.

Personally, I'm almost prepared to let them borrow it for the time I won't be using it. They are planning on doing Florida just about the time I would have to winterize.

The discussion was basically, using my trailer instead of having to check-in, check-out, pack and unpack at every place they want to visit. And having to buy every meal at a restaurant.

So, the amount would be based on motel & fast food rates?

When I searched for RV rental rates (just before I bought the 19RD) they were around $1,000 for a 3-day weekend.

One consideration I have to worry about is, if I rent the thing, is that "A business venture" and all the liabilities that come with a 'for profit' operation?

I might be better off just letting them borrow it. The only 'rental' would be "bring it back winterized, full propane tanks and clean".

Any body else loan/rent their RV to trustworthy friends?

How much did you charge?
Did the RV survive?
Did the friendship survive?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:27 AM   #2

I can't speak to your other questions or concerns but I can say you will definitely be opening up a legal can of worms if you take any compensation for the use of your trailer. If you are inclined to loan it to them, I would do just that and not make it in consideration of anything of value.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:06 AM   #3

I don't know how I would handle it or what I would do, but you can check out RVShare.com for some ideas?

I know they have several different "classes" of RVs there, and you might get some idea of going rates for your trailer.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:12 AM   #4

If you do follow through I would have them get insurance from their agent to cover any issues including appliance malfunctions.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I can't speak to your other questions or concerns but I can say you will definitely be opening up a legal can of worms if you take any compensation for the use of your trailer. If you are inclined to loan it to them, I would do just that and not make it in consideration of anything of value.
That is my biggest concern.

So, now, I have to figure out how to nicely tell them "I can't rent it to you. But I will let you borrow it."

That's going to be an interesting dilemma for them. They are very used to paying their own way and (despite being dyed-in-the-wool Democrats) hate being on the receiving end of charity.

And proud of it!
Old 08-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
That is my biggest concern.

So, now, I have to figure out how to nicely tell them "I can't rent it to you. But I will let you borrow it."

That's going to be an interesting dilemma for them. They are very used to paying their own way and (despite being dyed-in-the-wool Democrats) hate being on the receiving end of charity.
I'd probably just ask them to "accidentally" leave a nice bottle of wine in the clean trailer, and call it good.

Perhaps if they have a good time, they'll get their own. Then you'll have someone to go with you!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I'd probably just ask them to "accidentally" leave a nice bottle of wine in the clean trailer, and call it good.

Perhaps if they have a good time, they'll get their own. Then you'll have someone to go with you!
Not sure about the gift wine. Her preference is Chardonnay, we like white Zinfandel. Probably wind up with a box of Riesling that none of us will enjoy.

Actually, we kinda go with them already. The house they built is 2 lots (about 1/4 mile drive) closer to the main road than where we camp. Many evenings sitting around the table or camp fire talking to all hours...

They did have a TT for the time it took them to build the house (about 4 years).

And proud of it!
Old 08-01-2016, 09:39 AM   #8

First thing I would do is make sure insurance is covered - either your insurance allows it and/or their insurance covers it. Simply stated, YOU are protected.

To get around the legal mess, you can "square up" when the trip is all over and no incidents have occurred. During the trip, they are borrowing the unit. No discussion of monetary (or other) compensation has taken place. Once it is back and no issues occurred, who's to say what conversations you have. Of course, I would only do this with the closest of friends who you know would be fair. You are taking the risk. Just an option I'm throwing out there.
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #9

I have two hard fast rules:

#1 never do business with family or Friends.

#2 Buy the best stuff you can afford, you'll only cry once.

Every time I've ever done any type of business (I had a rental condo for years) it has ended in hard feelings......If I rented it to them the rent was always too much,,,,,Once I literally asked a neighbor "How much of your @&$% vacation do you expect me to pay for... If you want them to use it...let them use it with no expectation of payment.
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Not sure about the gift wine. Her preference is Chardonnay, we like white Zinfandel. Probably wind up with a box of Riesling that none of us will enjoy.

Actually, we kinda go with them already. The house they built is 2 lots (about 1/4 mile drive) closer to the main road than where we camp. Many evenings sitting around the table or camp fire talking to all hours...

They did have a TT for the time it took them to build the house (about 4 years).
Blech!! ALL those choices are bad. Maybe the Riesling would be passable in some circumstances, but out of a box? Nope, forget the wine, go with beer! Or even Scotch or other spirits. LOL!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #11

I have a totally different take on this. A friend of mine says "never lend anyone your tools, or your tent".

Many a good friendship has been destroyed over things like this. I personally would not do it.

If you do, don't charge them a dime. Have them take you to dinner after the fact.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Blech!! ALL those choices are bad. Maybe the Riesling would be passable in some circumstances, but out of a box? Nope, forget the wine, go with beer! Or even Scotch or other spirits. LOL!!
Between the four of us, we have a small list of "agree to disagree" issues:
- Politics: they are Democrats, we're Republicans. 'nuf said.
- Professional sports: They love 'their' teams. I root for whoever has the ball. SWMBO works on her knitting.
- Intoxicants: He's 2 beers in an evening, she loves her wine. I'm up for anything in moderation. SWMBO is "Anything, as long as it pours."

Any other subject, all four of us expressing our opinions freely while shooing blackflies and shuffling chairs to avoid the smoke.

I can trust them not to abuse the TT. I know and like how they take care of their stuff.

And proud of it!
Old 08-01-2016, 01:42 PM   #13

Boy, hard subject. If it was my brother or sister, there would be no way I would loan it out. They have tendencies to damage things and say I was like that when they got it.

I think the first thing to determine is the insurance thing. While it be covered.

If you are comfortable with loaning/renting it out. Then I would right up a contract. It does not have to be fancy. include dollar amount, what ifs, such as damage, dates, including must be returned by date, if cold weather, a note about winterizing it.

I would video tape the condition of the inside and outside before they take it.

Price?? I would ask them what they think is a fair price, and negotiate from there.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Boy, hard subject. If it was my brother or sister, there would be no way I would loan it out. They have tendencies to damage things and say I was like that when they got it.

I think the first thing to determine is the insurance thing. While it be covered.

If you are comfortable with loaning/renting it out. Then I would right up a contract. It does not have to be fancy. include dollar amount, what ifs, such as damage, dates, including must be returned by date, if cold weather, a note about winterizing it.

I would video tape the condition of the inside and outside before they take it.

Price?? I would ask them what they think is a fair price, and negotiate from there.
Any written contract would likely cause him to lose his insurance. It's a question on just about every auto / recreational vehicle policy ever issued. "Will this vehicle be used for any business purposes"? As soon as he contracts for anything of value, even a barter he will be done.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:12 PM   #15

SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote