Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 06:35 AM   #1

Fuel prices

Great website other than GasBuddy is https://iexitapp.com . There is an android app, but I like the windows website better.
Old 07-25-2022, 07:46 AM   #2

Calif Diesel Fuel prices average $6.85 gallon.. Once you get out of Calif average cost drops to $4.85. Our great governor whom everyone believes in (sic) puts the blame on the high cost of diesel here to higher import cost. Well, if that was true, then why is it $2.00 cheaper everywhere but Calif.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:14 AM   #3

You have to understand a political partys agenda, then you would know why. In the RV world the agenda is pursuit of happiness and that is opposite of CA's agenda.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:24 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
Calif Diesel Fuel prices average $6.85 gallon.. Once you get out of Calif average cost drops to $4.85. Our great governor whom everyone believes in (sic) puts the blame on the high cost of diesel here to higher import cost. Well, if that was true, then why is it $2.00 cheaper everywhere but Calif.
One reason for higher import cost is no pipelines. Raw in Calif. if not refined there has to either be trucked in or come in by seaway. Calif. State taxes on fuel are roughly double what other States add, Cap & Trade, cost of living in Calif., etc. all add up. None of which fell from the sky when your Gov. was elected.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:51 AM   #5

I think oil prices have been a political tool for the last six decades I'm aware of. When they started the recent drop I figured it was done for the coming elections, and would go back up afterward.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:28 AM   #6
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
One reason for higher import cost is no pipelines. Raw in Calif. if not refined there has to either be trucked in or come in by seaway. Calif. State taxes on fuel are roughly double what other States add, Cap & Trade, cost of living in Calif., etc. all add up. None of which fell from the sky when your Gov. was elected.
That’s strange since our gas/diesel in Arizona comes in via pipeline from refineries in CA and TX and we suffer higher prices when those in one state or the other goes down for cleaning, repair or malfunction.

A quick search shows 15 active refineries in CA and the “West Line” moves gasoline from CA refineries to AZ. There is also a line to Reno from CA refineries.

Truth be known CA’s air quality laws has caused super refined, high cost fuel and car emissions laws. Vehicles sold in CA have different emissions standards that the rest of the US.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:32 AM   #7
CAG

And I forgot to add, it is the difference in refinement that causes the difference in price, plus the tax.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:48 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
That’s strange since our gas/diesel in Arizona comes in via pipeline from refineries in CA and TX and we suffer higher prices when those in one state or the other goes down for cleaning, repair or malfunction.

A quick search shows 15 active refineries in CA and the “West Line” moves gasoline from CA refineries to AZ. There is also a line to Reno from CA refineries.

Truth be known CA’s air quality laws has caused super refined, high cost fuel and car emissions laws. Vehicles sold in CA have different emissions standards that the rest of the US.
My bad, I'm referring to crude oil ( "raw") there are currently no crude oil pipelines connecting Calif. with any other State. There are crude oil pipelines from Calif. oil fields to Calif. refineries, but for example none from Texas, Ok., or Alaska.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:53 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
I think oil prices have been a political tool for the last six decades I'm aware of. When they started the recent drop I figured it was done for the coming elections, and would go back up afterward.
So Canadians must be in on the conspiracy since fuel prices there have declined as well.
Old 07-25-2022, 10:19 AM   #10
CAG

Quote:
My bad, I'm referring to crude oil ( "raw") there are currently no crude oil pipelines connecting Calif. with any other State. There are crude oil pipelines from Calif. oil fields to Calif. refineries, but for example none from Texas, Ok., or Alaska.
Arizona either but that does not make our gas prices high. The CA laws having to do with the refinement quality of their gasoline is what makes their gas prices so high. Our gas goes up with “blends” during certain times of the year. We have air quality issues here also.

I remember my favorite beach in my home town of Long Beach being closed more than once because of leaking pipelines from off shore rigs.

Old 07-25-2022, 11:15 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Arizona either but that does not make our gas prices high. The CA laws having to do with the refinement quality of their gasoline is what makes their gas prices so high. Our gas goes up with “blends” during certain times of the year. We have air quality issues here also.

I remember my favorite beach in my home town of Long Beach being closed more than once because of leaking pipelines from off shore rigs.
There's no one cause for higher gas prices, and I didn't say the lack of crude oil pipelines is "the" cause, it's a contributing cause. You don't have to be Adam Smith to know that if a barrel of crude shipped into Calif. by rail or by tanker costs more thsn a barrel coming in by pipeline, those adfitional costs will be borne by consumers not producers. Higher State taxes in CA. are a factor as well as the general cost of doing business in CA. CA. Cap & Trade costs are some of the highest in the country and those costs are also passed on to consumers.
Old 07-25-2022, 11:42 AM   #12

10 different influences , 10 different agendas, 10 different answers.
for example, gas was $2.59 in summer 2006, and oil was $100/bbl sweet crude .

This year, gas is 4.99, oil $100/bbl.

Market, world crisis of the week, current administration bragging about some 0.18/ gal reduction in price per gallon of gas. Noone will ever give you a straight answer.
Old 07-25-2022, 11:54 AM   #13
CAG

Quote:
There's no one cause for higher gas prices, and I didn't say the lack of crude oil pipelines is "the" cause, it's a contributing cause. You don't have to be Adam Smith to know that if a barrel of crude shipped into Calif. by rail or by tanker costs more thsn a barrel coming in by pipeline, those adfitional costs will be borne by consumers not producers. Higher State taxes in CA. are a factor as well as the general cost of doing business in CA. CA. Cap & Trade costs are some of the highest in the country and those costs are also passed on to consumers.
You are correct to a point but as stated in a number of articles on why CA has high gas prices the reasons run
1. CA is Fuel island and has to import 70% of the needed fuel.
2. Higher taxes than any place else in the country.
3. For the last 25+ years CA has been using/requiring cleaner burning gas than the rest of the country.

Then think about this. If we continue the push to EV who pays the fuel taxes to fix highways?

By the same toke AZ is a fuel island and has to import 100% of its fuel. So is number 1 a real factor in CA?

Old 07-25-2022, 12:18 PM   #14

When someone promises to stop drilling for oil, and then they have the ability to do just that, why then would anyone be surprised that prices go up? Supply and demand is the primary reason for whatever the price is at the pumps.

In any case, for Diesel, I highly recommend to check out "TSD Open Roads", with that I can purchase Diesel at 4.115 today. Their price (open roads) is always cheaper than retail.
Old 07-25-2022, 12:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazierfan View Post
10 different influences , 10 different agendas, 10 different answers.
for example, gas was $2.59 in summer 2006, and oil was $100/bbl sweet crude .

This year, gas is 4.99, oil $100/bbl.

Market, world crisis of the week, current administration bragging about some 0.18/ gal reduction in price per gallon of gas. Noone will ever give you a straight answer.
My stock trading app shows that Sweet crude topped at 78$ in 2006, but did hit 147$ in 08 which was short lived and then fell back to ~40$, however in 08 during the peak of the prices, gas prices at the pump were similar to as they are today, perhaps a little higher when adjusted for inflation. ~CA
Old 07-25-2022, 12:43 PM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Crude was $3.00 a bbl in '65 when Lyndon Johnson was President, what I want to know is who's responsible for this sudden increase?
Old 07-25-2022, 01:45 PM   #17
CAG

Quote:
Crude was $3.00 a bbl in '65 when Lyndon Johnson was President, what I want to know is who's responsible for this sudden increase?
And TBone steak was about 85 cents a pound. It cost much less then to drill a well and the greenies were not pushing electric vehicles. Why drill if a certain element of this government is trying to kill the oil industry. Oil exploration has taken a nosedive.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:46 PM   #18
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
When someone promises to stop drilling for oil, and then they have the ability to do just that, why then would anyone be surprised that prices go up? Supply and demand is the primary reason for whatever the price is at the pumps.

In any case, for Diesel, I highly recommend to check out "TSD Open Roads", with that I can purchase Diesel at 4.115 today. Their price (open roads) is always cheaper than retail.
They stopped because of what I posted above.

Old 07-25-2022, 02:09 PM   #19
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
And TBone steak was about 85 cents a pound. It cost much less then to drill a well and the greenies were not pushing electric vehicles. Why drill if a certain element of this government is trying to kill the oil industry. Oil exploration has taken a nosedive.
Kinda hard to figure why every major auto maker on the planet is in the development stages or already in deveopment of electric vehicles when nobody
except commies want one. Reminds me of Yogi Berra, "Nobody comes to this restaurant anymore 'cause it's always too crowded".
Old 07-25-2022, 02:22 PM   #20
Site Team

Thread Closed
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Closed Thread