Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2014, 06:41 AM   #1

Fueling on long trips

Again, we're new at RVing and are gradually beginning longer trips from home with our 2014 WhiteHawk 30DSQB.....we tow with a 2014 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 gas burner.....in the past a full tank in the truck would get us where we were going, then unhook, and fill up before we head home... so I didn't worry about needing a gas stop....as we have branched out and now do need to make a stop for fuel, here's our problem....we are limited on places we can get our rig's length into...the truck stops don't put gasoline at the diesel islands(that we've stopped at so far) where there's always plenty of room to get our 55 feet of TT/TV into....we find ourselves having to squeeze into their gas pumps and it's a challenge......what are other's doing with situations like ours....is this something we just will have to live with....in the world of high technology, is there a way to find out about fuel stops up and down the highways that will fit our needs...thanks for your comments.

2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition, Glacier Package
2012 GMC 2500HD Z71 SLT 4WD Crew Cab...DuraMax/Allison....3.73 Rear Axle.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab...Vortec 6.0L V8...3.73 Rear Axle..(traded)
2011 Chevrolet Avalanche...5.3L V8...3.42..(traded)
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:46 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

any of the rest areas I have stopped in that have a separate area for campers has a gas island at them. I don't go to those simply because they have the price so high. I prefer to get off the highway and take a break and pay less. Just have to get used to towing and you will. Most people will get out of your way and be kind.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:04 AM   #3

There are gas station or truck stop locating websites you can use. I find them on the website and then view them in Google Earth before a trip to an unfamiliar area . I find ones that look suitable that will require about 3/4 tank of fuel apart. I do this a lot because I tow a boat behind my fifth wheel so I'm at about 75' and can't fit into most stations. If you start taking longer trips along the same freeways, you will start memorizing where good stations are. Your first time on a new route though, I'd start looking for stations at about 1/3 tank. Just go slow and you will find something. I always hate how they line gas pump lanes up perpendicular to the building and only 30 away.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:09 AM   #4

Pilot/Flying J as well as some HESS (IIRC) have RV Islands out front with both gas and diesel. They are a pull through set up.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Pilot/Flying J as well as some HESS (IIRC) have RV Islands out front with both gas and diesel. They are a pull through set up.
X2 . . .

UPcamper also has a good idea. I've found google/earth to be an invaluable tool, as well.

Option #3: I just picked up a Magellan RV5365T-LM GPS from Camping World. It has a feature where you enter your rig's dimensions & weight, and it selects routes that are "friendly" to your set-up. There is an option for selecting fuel stops along the route, which (I believe) will also meet your rig's requirements. Not sure about that, since I've only used it once so far, and didn't need to get gas. Mine has a 5" screen, which I've found to be the perfect size for my F-150 dash/windshield. It's also available in a 7" screen, and CW also sells a 5" & 7" model from Rand-McNally. They run in the $270 - $285 range (depending on whether or not they're on sale). You might find such a devise to be a worthwhile investment.

Otherwise, I've often tried to stop at stations along the interstates. They generally (but not always) have RV friendly fuel islands. I've been known to circle around the station until an outside island pump opens up - one that I'm sure I can get into and out of. Then, I'll pull up to the front pump, so no one can pull in in front of me and block me in.

And, as UPcamper suggested: start looking before you need it!

Just my $.02!
Old 09-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #6

For facilities near Interstates nothing beats The Next Exit. Everything that is RV friendly is clearly marked.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
For facilities near Interstates nothing beats The Next Exit. Everything that is RV friendly is clearly marked.
Smartphone app?

Nevermind. I guess I should have realized it was a link before I posted that.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #8

Definitely did the circling thing last week on I55 on a trip north to St.Louis waiting for that outside island to open up.....I agree with UPCamper....most everyone lines up there gas lanes on the front pumps perpendicular to the building and as he said...about 30 feet away.....used a Phillips 66 and a Loves truck stop last week and both had the perpendicular setup....finally got the outside island at both but even with that, our TT was blocking the drive thru area in front.

2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition, Glacier Package
2012 GMC 2500HD Z71 SLT 4WD Crew Cab...DuraMax/Allison....3.73 Rear Axle.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab...Vortec 6.0L V8...3.73 Rear Axle..(traded)
2011 Chevrolet Avalanche...5.3L V8...3.42..(traded)
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #9
Site Team

I've taken a number of "driving tests" in filling stations when towing and on rare occasions had to perform such maneuvers as pull up to an island, refuel and back out again. Even being diesel powered, I prefer the auto diesel pumps to the truck ones because the truck ones are often high-speed pumps and can be difficult to control the rate of flow.

Sometimes, I have to take up both sets of pumps to refuel and sometimes, I have to wait because the only pump island with diesel at the station is occupied or a vehicle has me blocked until it moves out of the way. Fortunately, most filling stations place the diesel pump(s) on the outermost islands which helps make access easier.

In time, you'll master the skill of towing and be a pro at it. Since your TV's a gasser, you already have a lot more pumps to choose from at a filling station than I do. Refueling should be a piece of cake the majority of the time.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #10

I try to ensure I stop at Loves/Pilot/Fling J/TA (bigger truck stop type stations). Usually even their regular gas pumps are more spacious. I've gotten into a tight spot and had to back up at a small local gas station twice since we've owned our TT. Just take it slow, use and trust your spotter, and just own the fact that you're towing a big trailer and that other people will just have to wait. If you have to, use your spotter to hold a position for you so someone doesn't pull into a pump you're waiting for. I would even consider using safety cones if I needed to (never had it come to that, but I'll do what I have to do). Over time, and since I've already dealt with some fuel stops at TINY stations, I've gotten to the point where I'm not scared of virtually any station; if it's even a somewhat reasonable size, I'll go ahead and stop if I need the fuel. If I have to wait a couple minutes to get a pump on the end, then so be it, DW will go inside and get me a fresh cold soda to enjoy while I wait, I'm not really in any hurry.

The absolute biggest thing I harp on in these discussions is: DO NOT get into somewhere you don't know how you're getting out. It's even better if you have 2 or 3 ways to get out. It's kind of like a game for me and DW. She'll ask "So how exactly do you plan to get us out of here?" (you know, with the hands on hips and condescending tone). And I'll detail to her every move I'll make getting out while the pump is filling the tank with explanations about what I expect other drivers to do, and what I'll do based on whatever they do. This exercise helps me tremendously, but don't tell her that!

All that being said, I have my favorite stations picked out for our normal trips if needed, and while I prefer not to stop, I know I can do it even in the more challenging stations.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #11

When we are traveling to some of our favorite camping areas, that i know i need more than a tank. I carry a couple 5 gal jugs and stop at a rest area and refuel there. That way i avoid the crowds and headaches.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #12

I will stay away from "big" citys when looking for fuel. I try to stop on the outskirts where traffic is not so busy and gas stations seem to be a bit bigger. You might pay a little more, but not dealing with the hassle is worth it to me. Again, its all about planning ahead.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #13

I carry 2, 5 gal cans of diesel in the bed.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #14

I do pay attention to where there are good gas stops, and have them memorized. When I need fuel, I start looking and if there are multiple stations in the area, I look to see who is not as busy, pump orientation, easy of getting out. To me getting out is more important than getting in, as I do not want to be trapped.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:17 AM   #15
Site Team

We keep a log in our truck and record by interstate and mm any fuel stop that will accommodate our needs.
When you are in unfamiliar areas we just are aware that we need to get in and out safely and don't be afraid to pas on one that is not Rv friendly.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #16

I had completed an 8400 Km trip this summer and being a newbie I was concerned with towing and fueling up. I didn't encounter any problems with either. As far as fuel stops If I couldn't get a drive through I would pull in to the pump then have my DW be my spotter as I was backing out. No issues.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #17

The Allstays app for iOS is pretty good. It has filters for campgrounds, fuel stops, welcome/rest centers and the like. I forget how much it costs but I'd guess a gallon of diesel would cover it, so pretty cheap in the grand scheme. Not familiar with "Next Exit" but will check it out. Thanks!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
That's the book we use.
Beats a smart phone any day of the week.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #19

1) Titan Tanks makes a direct replacement for your 26 gal fuel tank that doubles it size.... to me it was a mod well worth the moeny
2) Pilot FlyingJ have RV specific islands where you can get gas and diesel
+ good sam members get a good discount and an even better one with the Good Sam Flying J charge card (must be paid off every month)

Once I pull in I fill the 52 gallon tank and then fill the 20 gallons in 2 gal Jerry cans.
I use www.gasbuddy.com to find the best prices.. and if the price elsewhere is less than my FJ/GS discount I may go there depending on how far out of the way it is.. + I check the next few towns down the road, in the direction I am going, to see if it is less expensive
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
1) Titan Tanks makes a direct replacement for your 26 gal fuel tank that doubles it size.... to me it was a mod well worth the moeny
According to the FAQ on their website (Titan Tanks: https://titanfueltanks.com/faq/, these are only available for diesel powered models. Are there tanks available for gas models? I thought regular gasoline was too unstable to carry in an auxiliary tank? I dunno, I barely scratched the surface last year when I was researching it for my gas powered 1/2 ton... I gave up when I saw the prices for the tanks and realized that I don't make trips long enough to justify the cost, but that won't always be the case, I hope...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote