Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2023, 04:37 PM   #1

Furnace flakes out

So, I'm out in the trailer a week or so ago pulling out the fireplace to get the tag #. I have the furnace on. I notice that it gets to a certai temp. and starts cooling off in. I raise the thermostat, nada. Turn it off and on again, bingo. I'm out there today , same thing. It runs awhile and then turns off instead of keepiing the thing warm. Any one seen such action before? OH yeah, 2022 28.5 RSTS.
Old 03-16-2023, 04:56 PM   #2

How long does it run and is it blowing hot air while it's running?

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 05:26 PM   #3

Runs a couple of hours, blows warm air, and apparently turns off.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:34 AM   #4

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josparkz View Post
So, I'm out in the trailer a week or so ago pulling out the fireplace to get the tag #. I have the furnace on. I notice that it gets to a certai temp. and starts cooling off in. I raise the thermostat, nada. Turn it off and on again, bingo. I'm out there today , same thing. It runs awhile and then turns off instead of keepiing the thing warm. Any one seen such action before? OH yeah, 2022 28.5 RSTS.
Does the fan button need to be depressed in addition to the furnace being on?
Old 03-18-2023, 12:25 PM   #5

Do you have a digital thermostat or the cheapo thermostat that comes with most RVs. My digital holds the temp much better by going on and off with only a couple of degrees swing. My old metal sprint operated one was more like 8 or 10 degrees than a very long furnace run.
Change over is very simple for furnace only use, 2 wires. Get one with a battery backup as then you don't reset if power is out or you move to a new location.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 01:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Do you have a digital thermostat or the cheapo thermostat that comes with most RVs. My digital holds the temp much better by going on and off with only a couple of degrees swing. My old metal sprint operated one was more like 8 or 10 degrees than a very long furnace run.
Change over is very simple for furnace only use, 2 wires. Get one with a battery backup as then you don't reset if power is out or you move to a new location.
Best I can tell the thermostats are a couple of little diode looking things that work on the BMPro unit which has the screen with the temp controls. So, I turned it on early this am, and it went ot after awhile. I went to turn it on again the second time and it was dead.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:42 AM   #7

If you problem continues you'll probably need a mobile tech to look at it. If something restricts the air flow or the motor gets weak there is a safety air switch that will cut the unit off. Even that switch could be going bad.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 12:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey55 View Post
If you problem continues you'll probably need a mobile tech to look at it. If something restricts the air flow or the motor gets weak there is a safety air switch that will cut the unit off. Even that switch could be going bad.
It will probably go back to the dealership for warranty. So far, it has spent more time on their lot than I have spent sleeping in it. The furnace may have been used for 5 hours before malfunction was noticed.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:06 AM   #9

Nobody has ever had this problem with the furnace?
Old 04-01-2023, 03:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Nobody has ever had this problem with the furnace?
One of the things that makes RVing very frustrating to some or a bit of a nuisance to others is problems. Folks either get frustrated with the amount of time their RV sits in the dealer's lot or they tackle the issues themselves. Everyone needs to decide what works best for them.

There are many things that can make the furnace operate in such a fashion. FWIW, I owned a residential HVAC business for over 30 years before retiring. I won't claim to be a pro on RV furnaces, but in general they're much simpler than home furnaces. It sounds to me like your furnace is locking out if I understand the symptom correctly. You mentioned turning it off and back on again and that it worked for another hour or so. Newer (probably at least the last 15 years) furnaces have a control board that will throw codes when it faults. That fault is cleared once you reset the power to the control. Turning the thermostat down and back up will do that.

If your RV has a square or rectangular cover on the outside of the camper, you may be able to see the control board once you pull the cover. The codes are a light blinking. It may blink a few times, pause and blink the same number of times again. That number of times is the code. I think most RV furnaces have a single digit code. If the number of blinks changes, then it's a two digit code.

See if there's a code and google error codes for your model furnace. That number will be on a sheet somewhere on the end of the furnace. I don't think it's the sail switch or the high limit switch, but I wouldn't rule them out 100% until I knew what the code was.

Best of luck with it.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 03:43 PM   #11

Thanks. I finally heard from BMPro and they are saying the node has issues. I also found a dealer that will warranty it, and the service manager said something about a high limit or a short. So, since it is still under warranty, Jayco can fix it, whilst I am seriously thinking of trading it in on an Artic Fox. But yes, I can pull that access cover and look for that error code. I was not aware there was a readout in there. Thank you.
Old 04-01-2023, 03:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks. I finally heard from BMPro and they are saying the node has issues. I also found a dealer that will warranty it, and the service manager said something about a high limit or a short. So, since it is still under warranty, Jayco can fix it, whilst I am seriously thinking of trading it in on an Artic Fox. But yes, I can pull that access cover and look for that error code. I was not aware there was a readout in there. Thank you.
FWIW, our daughter in law's camper water heater quit working on gas. The problem was the control board. The unit was still under warranty. I replaced the board with a Dinosaur board rather than haul the camper to the dealership and wait for them to diagnose it. Wait for the manufacturer to okay the warranty repair. And wait for the dealership to replace the board. My cost was around $125, but $0 in aggravation.

BTW, many of the things in RVs like furnaces, water heaters, water pumps, fridges, etc are made by one or two companies. Problems with these components are commonplace and run from brand to brand...unfortunately.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 05:59 PM   #13

When I was younger I had a '64 Airstream. Didn't have any computerized controls, etc. It was in better shape when it turned 50 years old than I was when I did <LOL> The appliances did have good owners manuals and were owner serviceable, or at least not much more difficult than working on a pickup truck of that vintage. WE had a little Winnebago motor home for a number of years before we got this. I mean we dro ve that all over the place and everything worked well. Had to haave this "more comfortable" fifth wheel though. It was right about a year ago, it was till winterized. Some people wanted to buy it, like right now or nothing. I'm getting it ready, water in it and so forth. It must have been it's fifteenth birthday, because by the time they got her it was like, "Guesss what? The electric element in the water heater took a dump and the heater wouldn't get hot. " I took the price of replacement parts off and bid it farewell. So yes, I need to get my money'd worth on this warranty. I paid too much for it to not have it right.
And the beat goes on :-)