Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #1

Furnace igniting intermittently

As the title states, my furnace is working intermittently. Most of the time, however, it chooses not to ignite.

This all started a week or so ago when I ran out of propane on one tank. I closed it off and opened the new one but could find no switch on the regulator so I assumed it simply allowed gas from whichever tank was open. This was when the ignition problem began as the fan would come on and the system would click, but it would never ignite. So, long story short, I got the empty propane tank filled again and reinstalled it. The heater worked well with it up until a couple of days ago when the problem reappeared.

Any opinions on why this is occurring? I took a look at the furnace area on the exterior of the trailer but could find no loose wires or anything that appeared to be out of the norm.
2000 Ford F-150 XLT '4x4 Off Road' package - 5.4L / 4-speed automatic w/ 3.55 LSD rear end
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 22FB (Home sweet home!)
MikeS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #2

By the way, the users manual for the furnace is very uninformative about this problem. I believe their only 'Cure' was to take the unit to the dealership.
2000 Ford F-150 XLT '4x4 Off Road' package - 5.4L / 4-speed automatic w/ 3.55 LSD rear end
Old 12-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #3

Before taking it to the dealer try shutting off both propane tanks. Then purge the propane lines and start the normal start procedure over again. Purge the lines of air with propane and start the heater operation from the first step. Also make sure that the lines going to the frige and stove have no air in them.
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #4

Do the fridge (on GAS) and stove work while you are having furnace problems? I had an odd gas problem recently (no gas at all) and discovered that the green-handled threaded connector on the pig-tail has a flow limiting valve in it. The valve will shut (read "no gas at all") if a high flow rate is detected (like a burst line). Turns out opening the bottle too quickly may cause the valve to shut by accident.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #5

We had a problem similar to this. The dealer changed the line from the tank to the regulator and all is well. The tech said he has had to change quite a few in the last few months.

For us the curb side worked as long as there was gas in the tank. The road side would not let any gas through.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #6

We experienced a similar problem here recently. I filled my tank (that had been working just fine) and when I went to turn on the furnace, I got nothing. So I tried the stove and sure enough, it wouldn't light either. It was if the propane wasn't making it from the tank to the appliances. So I swapped over to the other tank and immediately, everything started working correctly. While I haven't yet shot the bug, I get the impression it's got something to do with air blocking the flow from the tank to the appliance.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #7

All of my other propane powered accessories work (wow... that sounded like Hank from King of the Hill). It's just the heater that is failing to do so. Actually, as I'm typing this it finally decided to work for the first time today. Ironic, eh? Anyways, hopefully it's something simple like the regulator lines or purging the system.

By the way, clutch, what do you mean by curb side and road side?
Old 12-07-2011, 07:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfc54m View Post
We experienced a similar problem here recently. I filled my tank (that had been working just fine) and when I went to turn on the furnace, I got nothing. So I tried the stove and sure enough, it wouldn't light either. It was if the propane wasn't making it from the tank to the appliances. So I swapped over to the other tank and immediately, everything started working correctly. While I haven't yet shot the bug, I get the impression it's got something to do with air blocking the flow from the tank to the appliance.
I bought a replacement pig-tail (regulator to tank) and the guy I got it from told me about the valve in the tank-end connector. Said you can free them up usually by tapping it on something solid. For me it worked and I have a spare pig-tail. He advised me to open the tank valve slowly to allow the pressure to ramp up gradually.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I bought a replacement pig-tail (regulator to tank) and the guy I got it from told me about the valve in the tank-end connector. Said you can free them up usually by tapping it on something solid. For me it worked and I have a spare pig-tail. He advised me to open the tank valve slowly to allow the pressure to ramp up gradually.
Thanks RedHorse1... I'll give that a try.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #10

I don't know if this is your problem or not, but my Jayco has a lever on the left side propane cubicle and this lever must be switch over toward whichever tank you are using and I once had your problem and it was because I had not pushed the lever all the way over. Hope this makes sense.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaguy View Post
I don't know if this is your problem or not, but my Jayco has a lever on the left side propane cubicle and this lever must be switch over toward whichever tank you are using and I once had your problem and it was because I had not pushed the lever all the way over. Hope this makes sense.
Albertaguy,

Assuming your post was to my problem, thank you for the info but I don't have that type of switch. Mine is completely manual. The funny thing is, I was using the same tank on the same side prior to filling it but after reconnecting the hoses, it just didn't seem to work. It could be a stuck valve like RedHorse1 posted but I will have to check that out when I get time to make it to the storage place. Thanks again

Old 12-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS82 View Post

By the way, clutch, what do you mean by curb side and road side?
When you pull off the road the curb side would be the right side of your truck or the passenger side. I can use left or right for a truck or car but I am not sure everyone sees it the same with a trailer.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote