Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #1

Furnace Operations

Does the TT need to have water in any of the plumbing to run the furnace? I need to make sure I don't cause any more damage than what may already be done. I need to run the furnace for awhile to thaw everything from the inside. Is it possible that if the water pump is frozen that it will work when it thaws? Disaster is looming!
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #2

Nope. You're good to run the furnace. I use mine all the time after winterizing the camper. Good luck with the pipes, been there done that.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #3

The RV furnace should only require propane and 12VDC to operate unless you have a special version installation that uses the Hot water heater and heat registers as source for heat (Usually after-market installed).

Sounds like you may have got caught short on freezing up a few things. It does take a good hard freeze to do some damage. We get down to freezing here in Northern Neck Virginia on a few occasions but it always warms up the next day.

I can do the BLOW OUT of lines with air compressor pretty quick which only takes about 5 minutes to accomplish it. I drain the fresh water tank and our a little dab of pink stuff down the P-traps. The big thing about using the BLOW-OUT method is you can immediately use the water lines again anything time you need to without dealing with the pink stuff.

This works out real easy for us when making camping runs in the late part of the season and might get caught over night for freezing temps.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #4

The RV furnace should only require propane and 12VDC to operate unless you have a special version installation that uses the Hot water heater and heat registers as source for heat (Usually after-market installed). I also can hook-up my trailer to the garage 120VAC 15AMP/20AMP receptacle and run a oil-filled electric heater inside the trailer set to a low setting when parked at home.

Sounds like you may have got caught short on freezing up a few things. It does take a good hard freeze to do some damage. We get down to freezing here in Northern Neck Virginia on a few occasions but it always warms up the next day.

I can do the BLOW OUT of lines with air compressor pretty quick which only takes about 5 minutes to accomplish it. I drain the fresh water tank and our a little dab of pink stuff down the P-traps. The big thing about using the BLOW-OUT method is you can immediately use the water lines again anything time you need to without dealing with the pink stuff.

This works out real easy for us when making camping runs in the late part of the season and might get caught over night for freezing temps.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #5

Your furnace does not have any connection with the water system. Open up your cupboard doors, dinette seats, etc. to allow the heat to enter all of the areas. You might consider using an electric heater to save on the propane. Good luck and I hope you don't have any damage other than the faucet.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote