Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2016, 11:40 AM   #1

Furnace Problem

I have searched the forum, still havent found and answer to my problem I have with my furnace. I have a 31GS Greyhawk with an Atwood furnace. When I turn the thermostat up, the fan will immediately turn on, I hear a click or two, once I thought the I heard it ignite. after a few seconds everything will shut down. I have checked and I have propane....Not sure what to check next. Oh...there is a red diode on the circuit board and it seems to be flashing a pattern of 3 flashes.

Thank you
Tobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:01 PM   #2

Light the stove and burn it for 20 seconds, that will ensure most of the air is out of the lines.

It's not uncommon the furnace won't light the first time, until propane has made it all the way to the furnace.

The three blinking leds is your fault code. Check the back of the owners manual.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply jagiven....I ran the stove for a lil while, still with out success on the furnace. I find nothing in my manual about the codes, My manual is very vague when it comes to the furnace, guess they dont want a novice messing with it.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobster View Post
I have searched the forum, still havent found and answer to my problem I have with my furnace. I have a 31GS Greyhawk with an Atwood furnace. When I turn the thermostat up, the fan will immediately turn on, I hear a click or two, once I thought the I heard it ignite. after a few seconds everything will shut down. I have checked and I have propane....Not sure what to check next. Oh...there is a red diode on the circuit board and it seems to be flashing a pattern of 3 flashes.

Thank you
Found this on another site.

Internal Circuit Board fault Steady on, no flashing

Limit switch/Airflow problems 1 flash with 3-second pause

Flame Sense fault 2 flashes with 3-second pause

Ignition Lockout Fault 3 flashes with 3-second pause

This was what he did to fix the problem.

I got some information from other forums after doing an internet search of my problem. I pulled all the electronic leads to check for corrosion. Then I figured out that I wasn't getting enough pressure from my LP tanks to work with the furnace. I was opening the valve too quickly. Everything else worked. Stove, hot water tank and fridge. Once I was able to get enough pressure from the tank into the system the furnace worked perfectly.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:09 PM   #5

Thank you Sundancer.....I will chk that the first thing in the morning.... Not sure how to check the pressure to the furnace..but I will chk the contacts.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:14 PM   #6

Propane tanks have a built in flow valve in case of hose rupture. If you open the valve too fast it mat enable this feature. I'd try ckosing the valves then cracking them open slowly.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #7

Propane tanks have a built in flow valve in case of hose rupture. If you open the valve too fast it may enable this feature. I'd try closing the valves then cracking them open slowly.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:34 PM   #8

I had a similar problem with the furnace in our Seneca at the beginning of this season. When I turned the furnace on, the fan would run but the burner would either ignite for a few seconds or not at all. The red LED would show 2 flashes and then pause...flame sense fault according to the manual.

I ended up replacing the circuit board with a Dinosaur brand board. As soon as I hooked the new board up, the furnace operated normally. Truth be told, I also ordered a replacement ignitor and sail switch since I wasn't sure where the problem actually was. Those two items have been added to my "spares" inventory
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:12 PM   #9

Is there a panel that needs to be removed to find circuit board,i have been having nothing but problems with my heater and I wanna check circuit board and or just replace it and see if that fixes it,I have a Atwood heater

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 314BHDS View Post
Is there a panel that needs to be removed to find circuit board,i have been having nothing but problems with my heater and I wanna check circuit board and or just replace it and see if that fixes it,I have a Atwood heater
Remove the outside access panel and you'll see the control board mounted on the wall on the left side next to the blower. The board itself is mounted on a piece of metal and slides out.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
2014 Honda CR-V toad

Old 05-16-2016, 04:01 AM   #11

I forgot that I checked before and I need to remove the heater from the trailer to get to circuit board,as I do not have a door on the outside to access it
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by anav8or View Post
Remove the outside access panel and you'll see the control board mounted on the wall on the left side next to the blower. The board itself is mounted on a piece of metal and slides out.

That is, if you have an outside access door. They are building these things now with no access door, at least some of them. I ran into this with a brand new rig, and a bad control board, and no access. Fortunately it was under warranty because a 20 minute board switch out became a good 4 hour job of cutting an access hole through our front basement wall. Would have been some bill if I had to pay for it.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
That is, if you have an outside access door. They are building these things now with no access door, at least some of them. I ran into this with a brand new rig, and a bad control board, and no access. Fortunately it was under warranty because a 20 minute board switch out became a good 4 hour job of cutting an access hole through our front basement wall. Would have been some bill if I had to pay for it.
That's a really good point. I shouldn't assume all setups are the same as mine!

2014 Honda CR-V toad

Old 05-16-2016, 05:31 AM   #14

I wish they'd put the access doors on all rigs. Sooooo much easier to work on.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #15

My furnace did the same sort of fault about a month ago. (2010 29BHS) It worked on Friday, but ended up with a flashing light fault on Saturday. After about an hour of searching and finding error codes online etc. I turned the thing off with the switch on the furnace itself. (a very well hidden rocker switch ) waited about 30 seconds, turned it back on and it worked on the first try.
DadRich is offline   Reply With Quote