Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2023, 12:43 PM   #1

Question Furnace Sail Switch Failure

Our furnace stopped working and it turned out the micro switch sail was jammed with lint so the sail wouldn't activate. Removal of the lint fixed the problem. However, the problem has returned. Getting at the sail switch in our Jayco 28.5 HT is a major effort. Has anyone determined a fix to prevent the lint from collecting under the sail?
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 04:14 PM   #2

No real solution that I am aware of. When you pull it out make sure to use compressed air, there might be some lint down inside the mechanism. Also blow out the chamber.

I believe your unit is a 5ver, where is your cold air return? Under the steps or do you have a cold air grill on the wall? You might be able to build a filter box.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 05:32 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
No real solution that I am aware of. When you pull it out make sure to use compressed air, there might be some lint down inside the mechanism. Also blow out the chamber.

I believe your unit is a 5ver, where is your cold air return? Under the steps or do you have a cold air grill on the wall? You might be able to build a filter box.
Hi,
Yes it's a 5ver. The furnace is under the water heater below the pantry. Luckily, once the exhaust pipe is removed from the outside I can rotate the furnace enough to get at the sail switch. The cold air return is on the other side of the wall below the closet. This time there was no lint under the sail so obviously there was some in the switch mechanism. I intend to order a new sail switch and as you suggest, I will create a filter box. How much easier this sail fix would have been with an outside access door. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-29-2023, 07:34 PM   #4

Unhappy Sail Switch

I decided to buy a replacement sail switch just in case. When I received the switch from Amazon it was incorrect. Returning the wrong switch is another issue. We don't live in an area with a Purolator agent. The switch arrived via Canada Post and I need an address label to return it as our post office does not print labels. If you know how to accomplish that, you're better than me.

I decided to contact Dometic Attwood to find out the correct part number and availability. I received a response from them that the sail switch is furnace s/n specific. I'll have to pull the furnace to find out the s/n.
Old 11-29-2023, 07:40 PM   #5

Not sure how much room you have, but I retrieved my serial number by sticking my arm in and above furnace and snapped several photos with my phone. There is a sticker on top of the furnace that shows the numbers very clearly.
Old 11-29-2023, 07:51 PM   #6

Absolutely no room. I even tried my telescoping extension mirror and still can't read it.
Old 11-29-2023, 08:49 PM   #7
RPR

Can you post a picture of the sail switch? Think we can help
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 10:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
Absolutely no room. I even tried my telescoping extension mirror and still can't read it.
I’m new to the RV community, but lots of experience in DIY home and auto projects involving tight spaces. I highly recommend using bore scopes. Very inexpensive like these:

https://a.co/d/9cDcLgM

They've saved my bacon more times than I can count. Bought one for each of my kids last year for Christmas and they love them.
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 11:02 AM   #9

Sail Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Can you post a picture of the sail switch? Think we can help
The sail switch in my furnace has the widened blade. The switch Amazon sent was one with a narrow blade (about 1/8" wide). The wrong switch was labeled 33082. I read some place that there was a new switch so decided to contact Dometic to get their input. I'll pull the furnace and get a picture of the model label so I have it and forward the s/n to Dometic to get their response. I'll post the results.
Old 11-30-2023, 12:05 PM   #10

Just got through removing the heater in our trailer and yes it's a very tight squeeze. I extended the wires so I could operate the heater outside of it's enclosure. Sail switch had an insect nest which I cleaned off and blew out the fan and the rest of the unit. Furnace is now working fine.

I also installed a bug screen on the outside exhaust/intake port to prevent further insect problems.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 06:39 PM   #11
RPR

Is this like your old one?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0058.jpg  
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 07:30 PM   #12

My sail switch crapped out a couple years ago. I helped the mobile RV repair guy pull the furnace, and it wasnít easy (under a box, under the jackknife sofa.) having a dog that sheds a lot, I figured that was the problem. But it was just faulty. We replaced it, but ever since, Iíve been religiously vacuuming all around the box and screens as often as possible to keep any hair at bay. So far, it has kept working.
😁 "If a man says heíll fix something, he will. Thereís no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 07:52 PM   #13

Sail Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Is this like your old one?
Yes, but just the switch, not the mount. My parts manual lists the switch as a 31094. When you key that into Amazon Canada you get:

https://www.amazon.ca/Switch-DTAIR-R...s%2C159&sr=8-3

My furnace is still working. I'm now just on a quest to find the current part number.
Old 11-30-2023, 07:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Yes, but just the switch, not the mount. My parts manual lists the switch as a 31094. When you key that into Amazon Canada you get:

https://www.amazon.ca/Switch-DTAIR-R...s%2C159&sr=8-3

My furnace is still working. I'm now just on a quest to find the current part number.
Forgot to mention, the switches I received only had a 1/8 inch wide blade.
Old 12-04-2023, 11:43 AM   #15

Thumbs up Sail Swtch

I heard back from Dometic. The correct part number for my sail switch is 36165.
Old 12-04-2023, 07:01 PM   #16

Question Sail Switch

Quote:
I heard back from Dometic. The correct part number for my sail switch is 36165.
Just heard again from Dometic. Apparently there's 2 part numbers. Stand by,,,,,,
Old 12-05-2023, 04:27 PM   #17

Thumbs up Sail Switch

Quote:
Just heard again from Dometic. Apparently there's 2 part numbers. Stand by,,,,,,
From Dometic:

36165 is the correct number for your model number as long as the serial number starts with 724 or newer, otherwise it would be 31094.

So, my serial number starts with 721; therefore my sail switch is a 31094
Old 12-05-2023, 04:34 PM   #18

Thumbs up Sail Switch

Looking on the internet 31094 looks like:

https://www.amazon.ca/EIKLIM-31094-F...1815299&sr=8-2

The switch in my furnace looks like this;

https://www.amazon.ca/Furnace-Replac...1815571&sr=8-8

I can only assume that my switch was changed before and the wrong one was installed.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:45 AM   #19

Angry Sail Switch Correction

Quote:
From Dometic:

36165 is the correct number for your model number as long as the serial number starts with 724 or newer, otherwise it would be 31094.

So, my serial number starts with 721; therefore my sail switch is a 31094

I've been investigating this issue for so long that I've obviously starting having "brain farts". My serial number starts with 741, not 721. Therefore I need the 36165 switch. Sorry for the confusion.