Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2022, 07:18 PM   #1

Fuse Pulled Lights & Fan Still Work

2021 Jay Flight SLX 8 267BHS bathroom lights flicker, dim or out (fan too), when I push on 15Amp fuse marked Batroom lghts, fan they come back on and then flicker, dim and out again. New fuse same thing, took out fuse and lights and fan still work, no red light on panel when fuse out or when lights flicker. Shouldn't lights and fan be off when fuse is pulled, not on shore power at the time either. Any thoughts on this appreciated.
skram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:03 PM   #2

Interesting?

First thoughts are problem with fuse holder
on printed circuit board. Check voltage on line and load side of fuse holder. Another guess is the fuse blown light is defective.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 05:26 AM   #3

I'll take a guess!

Wiring issue at fuse holder, Poor solder joint, wires connected wrong, loose connection, or wires touching.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 02:36 PM   #4

Will take your suggestions and post update.

We had parked camper at storage and were on the way home after, I just went in to open fridge door and tried bathroom light just on a whim not expecting it to work w/o fuse, tried fan too and it worked, maybe they will work better w/o a fuse in. Great workmanship on these rv's today. Anyway thanks for the thoughts and I will take a trip to the camper this week with my tester.
Old 08-20-2022, 03:37 PM   #5

You can't get power to jump across an open fuse holder (unless the holder is shorted across on the board). I would guess that the fuse holder is mislabeled as to which fuse is for your bathroom items.

Simply pull each fuse until the items totally go off and then you know which fuse is in control. It is doubtful power is getting into the circuit by any other means unless someone was creative with the wiring.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 06:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skram View Post
2021 Jay Flight SLX 8 267BHS bathroom lights flicker, dim or out (fan too), when I push on 15Amp fuse marked Batroom lghts, fan they come back on and then flicker, dim and out again. New fuse same thing, took out fuse and lights and fan still work, no red light on panel when fuse out or when lights flicker. Shouldn't lights and fan be off when fuse is pulled, not on shore power at the time either. Any thoughts on this appreciated.
I suppose I may be missing something, when you state " when I push on 15Amp fuse marked Batroom lghts, fan they come back on... Are you saying that you can get power by physically pushing on the fuse and then when you quit pushing the power goes away? If so, that would indicate that the wiring or board for the fuse holder has a bad\poor connection. ~CA
Old 08-21-2022, 12:23 PM   #7

Fuse or not still power

When lights flickering, or out, a push on the fuse brought back bright light and no flicker. After a bit they were flickering and dim again or out all together, bathroom and fan in bathroom only all other lights in rv ok. New fuse and still same. As mentioned, on a whim I tried light and fan with fuse removed and still had full light and full bathroom fan. I am thinking there is a wiring issue that in fact negates the fuse in the circuit. I am sure this is the right fuse as it is labelled as such and the lights come back when this fuse was pushed so no doubt about the labelling. I haven't been to the camper since we came back from our trip but this week will try and see if the lights, fan stay on fully with the fuse out and if they flicker and dim with or without the fuse. I'm not an electrician so I feel uncomfortable taking out the panel so I may just hook up an electric light until I can get to the dealer in the fall for them to take a look.
Old 08-21-2022, 05:34 PM   #8

When you push the fuse and things change consider that you may be flexing the board in other areas. You mentioned that things still work even with the fuse removed still could mean that another fuse is in control. Could have been rewired by a previous owner (if there was one). I would still pull each fuse to see if the items ever go off.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:25 PM   #9

Worth a try

Will definitely try all fuses, we are second owners so possible some creative repairs previously. Thanks for the response/s I will post a follow up next week.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:29 AM   #10

Follow-up to light work even with fuse pulled

Finally got out to camper today, no fuse in section marked "Bathroom Lights, Fan' lights turned on. As suggested pulled out all other fuses to see if mislabeled. Lights still on no matter which fuse pulled. Seems panel wiring direct to Lights with no effect with or without fuse. Any thoughts/suggestions welcomed.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:15 AM   #11

12v Definitely shouldn’t be hot wired direct to battery. Could there be another fuse panel somewhere you’re missing?
Backwoods Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 10:44 AM   #12

Another panel?

As far as i know only one panel. The 12v panel first fuse is "Bathroom Lights, Fan" and is a 15 fuse. No other lights in the camper are affected, all work as they should and are on another fuse in the panel. In the interim I am going to use an AC ,light plugged in to bathroom receptacle and not turn on the 12v lights or fan in this area until I can get it looked at.
Old 09-02-2022, 06:12 AM   #13

Have you looked behind the panel at the actual connections to see if there is actually a wire connected to the first fuse? You wouldn't be the first owner to have a misconnected wire or a loose connection.
Old 09-02-2022, 06:38 AM   #14

Pulling Panel

I might do that at the end of the season, unfortunately here in Canada that is only weeks away. I'm thinking its like looking under the hood when a car doesn't start and hoping to see some obvious loose wire or something that explains the problem. i'm not familiar with RV electrical so I guess I would be looking for something obvious or maybe comparing to other fuses in the panel to see if I can see something different in the wiring of this particular fuse. The good thing is that it only powers the bathroom area so the rest of the camper is OK. Anyone have pictures or references to pics of the back of a panel so I at least have an idea of what I might be looking for. As always thanks for the responses, I called the dealer where we bought the camper (used) and they said I should replace the panel, I would like to think that would be a last resort as only one area affected.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:52 AM   #15

Cornwall
Drove by there a few weeks ago.

We have two months of camping up north.

My last tralier they changed the panel.

Hard to troubleshoot over the internet. I would think this problem would be easy to diagnose with a meter.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 10:26 AM   #16

With all your 12v ato fuses pulled and you still have power you almost have to have the wire for that circuit connected to the hot side. Look up the manufacturer/model of your converter and you’ll find lots of info online and possibly even troubleshooting videos on YouTube.
Backwoods Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 10:42 AM   #17

Fuse

Camping next week so will take my meter and see what I can do. Thanks for the help I will post any findings.