Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2022, 07:21 AM   #1

Galley Backsplash?

Our new rv doesn't have any backsplash in the galley. DW definitely wants one (and so do I) installed to make it easier to clean up after cooking.

For those of you that installed a backsplash in their rig, did you do actual tile install or use the self adhesive type that looks like real tile?

I an concerned that actual tile, even though it is very durable, might not stay in place because of all the movement the coach makes when traveling.

The self adhesive offers easier installation but durability is a concern.

TIA for your thoughts.....
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:41 AM   #2

I used self adhesive. Installed it 2 or 3 yrs ago no issues so far. Even with sun pounding on that side of the camper almost 365 days a yr its holding up.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:18 AM   #3

I redone my backsplash in my TT. I used real tile from Home Depot adhered to a thin board. I put the board on first with small screws then glued the tile to it. I trimmed it out with moulding to hide the edge. The reason for the board was, I didn't want to destroy the original finish and limit the permanent damage to four screw holes. Just in case I want to change it later. But if you're not worried about it, you can glue the tiles directly to the original finish. Just make sure it's exactly what you want because it's forever when glued.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:38 AM   #4

Installed self adhesive fake tile in bathroom. Only been installed a few months, no sign of any problems.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjayco View Post
Our new rv doesn't have any backsplash in the galley. DW definitely wants one (and so do I) installed to make it easier to clean up after cooking.

For those of you that installed a backsplash in their rig, did you do actual tile install or use the self adhesive type that looks like real tile?

I an concerned that actual tile, even though it is very durable, might not stay in place because of all the movement the coach makes when traveling.

The self adhesive offers easier installation but durability is a concern.

TIA for your thoughts.....
I'm looking also, since my current "backsplash" is two pieces of plastic behind the stovetop. I'm not balking at the plastic so much as I am the lack of it. But it is better than none! I was considering using decorative tin, as it is lightweight, comes in a one piece sheet, and I can trim it to fit. And like TWP723 said, that would limit my damage to the holes I make screwing it in at the corners. Whatever I put in, I want it to be continuous, from behind the stovetop all the way to the sink.
This company also does mix and match on your choice of panel with many finish options. https://www.metalceilingexpress.com/

Any one have experience using tin?
Attached Thumbnails
backsplash area.jpg  
fnlvr234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:38 PM   #6

We installed Aspect self-stick metal tiles in 2016. The bacon grease spatters wipe off very easily and there has not been an issue in 6 years.

One of the selling points was that they were available with matching trim. The install went very easy. They come in various colors.
Attached Thumbnails
P5020044.jpg  
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:53 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses everyone! All of your suggestions look great. Talking with DW about choices. This project is her territory and she's a whole lot better than I am in the design department. I'm good at installing so it's a good match!

TWP, I'm right there with you on not damaging existing finishes. Command straps are your friend! On our previous unit, we installed a medicine cabinet in the bathroom with 16lb strips on each corner. When we traded it in, no muss no fuss. The command strips pulled off without a mark.

Thanks again.
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
We installed Aspect self-stick metal tiles in 2016. The bacon grease spatters wipe off very easily and there has not been an issue in 6 years.

One of the selling points was that they were available with matching trim. The install went very easy. They come in various colors.
We used Aspect also — stainless subway tile sheets that were peel and stick. Did the bathroom, too. I’m a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy so I put some dabs of construction adhesive on the back too. So far, no problems, even in 110* summer heat.
Attached Thumbnails
83D17EA9-E517-4B69-BC7D-737A98E2DDEA.jpg   7D373712-F261-4487-9C7B-0350F5A88379.jpg  
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:14 PM   #9

Our trailer originally came with the stainless-steel subway tile self-stick backsplash. But it gets so hot here in the central valley of California, that the metal tiles retained too much heat and peeled off the wall. We replaced with faux ceramic self-stick tiles and have not had a problem since. The new backsplash looks good enough and cleanup is a breeze.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post

That looks great! Thanks for sharing!
fnlvr234 is offline   Reply With Quote