Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2016, 11:26 AM   #1

Gas in South East help please?

Morning All,

We are scheduled to head to the south east including VA, SC, GA, to KY from NJ in a few days. The news reports up here give the suggestion that there is a problem getting gas along our anticipated route. Now, I don't want to suggest the media isn't always 100% accurate but I thought it best to ask for help on the forum.

What are you folks down there seeing on the ground? In the grand scenario I am not too worried if the price goes up a bit but availability is a serious concern.

I hesitate to carry extra cans of gas in my truck but maybe I should.

Thanks in advance.

Hector
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #2
Site Team

Gas shot up 20 cents a gal. here in eastern Va after the pipeline incident but not yet seeing any shortage.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbravo View Post
Morning All,

We are scheduled to head to the south east including VA, SC, GA, to KY from NJ in a few days. The news reports up here give the suggestion that there is a problem getting gas along our anticipated route. Now, I don't want to suggest the media isn't always 100% accurate but I thought it best to ask for help on the forum.

What are you folks down there seeing on the ground? In the grand scenario I am not too worried if the price goes up a bit but availability is a serious concern.

I hesitate to carry extra cans of gas in my truck but maybe I should.

Thanks in advance.

Hector
Nobody has run out of gas, you're just going to pay more for it because that area is currently trucking in their fuel from further away than normal. It's not a shortage, they are just passing the extra freight cost on to you.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #4

Great, that is what I'm hoping for.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Nobody has run out of gas, .
????? Numerous reports on other forums and TV about stations being out in NC, SC, GA and TN.

examples:

They are trucking in some gas, with the governor allowing increased hours on the road (a scary thought in itself). Many stations around Atlanta are out. If they get the pipeline bypass installed by later this week it will still take a few days to fill the system before things return to "normal". The $4-5 a gallon is likely not justified and will likely drop when more gouging reports get to the governor's office. "They" say a modest increase will be tolerated due to the increased cost of trucking it in. So far we're ok with a half tank in one van, 3/4 in the other, and no requirements to get out in the heat this week anyway.

Posted 5 hours ago ·
In High Point by Greensboro, NC there are a lot of stations out. Sheetz is rationing but the pumps are closed more than open. We filled up Early Sat before the panic hit.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
????? Numerous reports on other forums and TV about stations being out in NC, SC, GA and TN.

examples:

They are trucking in some gas, with the governor allowing increased hours on the road (a scary thought in itself). Many stations around Atlanta are out. If they get the pipeline bypass installed by later this week it will still take a few days to fill the system before things return to "normal". The $4-5 a gallon is likely not justified and will likely drop when more gouging reports get to the governor's office. "They" say a modest increase will be tolerated due to the increased cost of trucking it in. So far we're ok with a half tank in one van, 3/4 in the other, and no requirements to get out in the heat this week anyway.

Posted 5 hours ago ·
In High Point by Greensboro, NC there are a lot of stations out. Sheetz is rationing but the pumps are closed more than open. We filled up Early Sat before the panic hit.
I stand corrected, I'm usually pretty current on news and when I checked in on this story last, the 'panic' was more media (as usual) than factual. I guess the machine is working as intended and now some stations are actually running out as mass media, coupled with reduced supply is taking a hit. There is a HUGE opportunity here for people that haul fuel for a living, I'd gamble this will be short lived. If you *have to* fuel up in Atlanta, expect 20% of the stations to be empty as of today. It's pretty easy to plan around this with good contingencies.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #7

I guess I'll have to watch this closely, especially as we get closer to heading out. So far this is not having a major impact up here and the bombings in NJ & NY have rightfully been occupying the news so the details on how the repairs are progressing are a bit thin.

Thank you for any information you can and have offered!
Old 09-20-2016, 02:49 PM   #8

According to the news today the gas pipeline company is finishing up on a by-pass line around the suspect leak area. Providing there are no issues or leaks in the by-pass it is supposed to go online tomorrow opening the gas flow back up the area in question.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:15 PM   #9
Site Team

Upper parts of SC and N Ga are getting back to normal. No problems with supply on I-95 thru SC and GA as far as I hear and see. I have driven thru them both this weekend. It does not affect diesel any.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:23 PM   #10

That is great news, guys. I'm willing to bet here will be some residual price impact but I'm just thrilled there should be availability.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:46 PM   #11

In and around Raleigh NC, you really have to search for it, more pumps covered up than not. Today I drove up through the Pilot Mountain area into Strasburg VA and had no issues like we do back home. I will definitely fill up before I get close to Central North Carolina tomorrow afternoon.

If the media would not have induced a frenzy, everything would be better, but they started a panic and now everyone is filling everything they own with fuel. There is enough fuel for everyone, just not enough to fill everything all at the same time due to the panic.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS1115 View Post
If the media would not have induced a frenzy, everything would be better, but they started a panic and now everyone is filling everything they own with fuel.
So often the pattern..."we" never learn.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #13

There are several stations in the Raleigh area completely out of everything, including diesel. The three Sheetz stations near my house have been empty for days, but while coming home from work today I saw a Sheetz tanker pulling into the one on my road.

How much is due to reduced gasoline supplies and how much to media encouragement is not apparent. But it is not as severe as the '73-'74 OPEC embargo.

And it is not nearly as inconvenient as the Great Toilet Paper Shortage. That was a major annoyance especially where we lived in Florida then.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:51 PM   #14

atlanta

I've heard from friends they've seen some stations in Atlanta out, but I haven't run across any as of yet. Some of the stations that had no regular still had premium. Costs up ~30 cents/gal on reg.
mini4mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:55 PM   #15

Metro Atlanta has several stations that are out last couple of days and some that do you might have 1-2 cars in front of you. They do get re-supplied but then run out again. It has been hit and miss. Like stated earlier the pipeline work around is in place and should be a go 9-21-16. Pipeline officials say early next week things back to normal and some "experts" are saying October. Who do you want to believe. Bottom line don't wait till empty to re-fill.
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:09 AM   #16

There are still several stations around the Nashville area out of fuel, but it can be found in places today. From Friday through Sunday pretty much the entire middle TN and Southern KY area was completely out. I heard that most of TN all the way over to NC was running out as well.

On Monday it started trickling back in to select gas stations, but they were still running out fairly fast due to demand. The gas station I stopped at this morning on the way to work is still completely out and they do not know when they will be getting a tanker truck in.......

Prices have been anywhere from $2.25/gal all the way up into the $4/gal range for regular unleaded with a lot of station owners taking the opportunity to gouge customers. After searching for about an hour I was lucky enough to find gas at one station early Saturday morning, they had their regular unleaded at $2.99/gal, the mid grade at $2.60/gal and premium somewhere under $3/gal, so my truck got a treat and got filled up with mid-grade.
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:24 AM   #17

Thanks for the update. I just saw a report that the pipeline is now flowing so hopefully relief is on the way.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:23 AM   #18

But the bigger question is what's this about a Brangelina break up?
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #19

Lol. I told my wife Angie threw brad overboard for me. I'm glad I can still give the girl a good laugh. ��
Old 09-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #20

I'm in Decatur (close suburb of Atlanta) - I was out yesterday and there was one RaceTrack that was out of gas but 2 other stations on the same corner had plenty of fuel and there were no lines anywhere.
Use WAZE or GasBuddy app to find the best price - there are some stations still selling low (I paid $2.29 yesterday) and some pretty high ($2.59 is the highest I've seen).
Pipeline is back in action as of today so it's going to get better not worse.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote