Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2021, 12:55 PM   #1

Gas regulator recall reimbursement

I saw several discussions about the Winntech 6020 regulator on this forum, and the one on my 2018 Eagle 5th wheel was on the list. Last August we were planning a trip and I found a Marshall-Excelsior 2 stage auto change-over regulator at a local RV dealer, so I purchased it and installed it. I'd previously replaced one of the pigtails because it was leaking, so now I replaced the other pigtail. Can I get reimbursed for this? In September I did get a letter from Jayco saying "Contact your dealer......" but mine was already replaced. I do still have the old regulator so I can take a picture of the necessary numbers.
KA9J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 09:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA9J View Post
I saw several discussions about the Winntech 6020 regulator on this forum, and the one on my 2018 Eagle 5th wheel was on the list. Last August we were planning a trip and I found a Marshall-Excelsior 2 stage auto change-over regulator at a local RV dealer, so I purchased it and installed it. I'd previously replaced one of the pigtails because it was leaking, so now I replaced the other pigtail. Can I get reimbursed for this? In September I did get a letter from Jayco saying "Contact your dealer......" but mine was already replaced. I do still have the old regulator so I can take a picture of the necessary numbers.
I got the same regulator and was told by Jayco last Aug if i had it installed by a jayco Dealer they would reimburse me.. After i got the regulator i was having my trailer serviced with other issues and asked them to install the regulator based on what Jayco told me. They denied to install it per recall notice saying they would only install if provided by Jayco, I spent 20 mins and installed it myself,. Someone posted a list here of approved by Jayco regulators and the Marshall-Excelsior 2 is on the list so i don't get why the dealer would not install it. I got frustrated with the dealer and the warranties so i cashed in my extended warranty since i seem to end up doing 99% of the repairs myself. I was actually surprised that i got back 80% of what i paid for a 7 year warranty..
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #3

My TT was out of warranty, so I purchased another 6020 from a supplier. When I found out this one was also one of the recalled units I asked for a refund. No response. OK, no more business for that supplier. Just chalking it up to another small loss of $$$ due to poor customer service.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:37 PM   #4

Asked about replacing it myself Jayco says no reimbursement as it is a safety issue and they have to do a leak down test and all the other stuff. I had it in for a leak on one of the propane burners on the stove and they verified the regulator needed replaced but they have to wait for one to show up from Jayco. Guess it isn't as unsafe as they think. Don't get me wrong the dealer was great fixed the leak on burner under warranty was a week wait for appointment and they had the trailer done that day.
Jolvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolvi View Post
Asked about replacing it myself Jayco says no reimbursement as it is a safety issue and they have to do a leak down test and all the other stuff. I had it in for a leak on one of the propane burners on the stove and they verified the regulator needed replaced but they have to wait for one to show up from Jayco. Guess it isn't as unsafe as they think. Don't get me wrong the dealer was great fixed the leak on burner under warranty was a week wait for appointment and they had the trailer done that day.
Yup, So basically, (in true sense) your TT is not usable and your warranty is being ticked away during that period you technically can't use your TT while you wait for them to get correct parts in to make the repair. Lots of class action law suits are being filed because of this. People are wanting their warranty periods extended for the time Dealers are waiting for parts to make repairs.. I defiantly would be demanding this.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:15 AM   #6

I received the notice just today but they said that they can't replace it now because of no parts, I did it already those so no worry I hate to wait.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:08 AM   #7
Site Team

I would not let a part like that ruin my camping time. Mine failed on a trip after 5 years. It took longer to drive to a rv supply and buy another than to replace it.
5 years later and it is still working.

Here is the one I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Double-...productDetails

If buying another one, I would try for a Marshal brand but even if it's replaced temporarily, You can go camping if you fear the recalled one is bad.
I purchased a inexpensive propane detector and it really gives me peace of mind. I use it every time I change tanks.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:51 AM   #8

they claim no parts available to replace a bad regulator that could possibly kill you but are building new trailers with regulators every day. huh.
Haul n it all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I would not let a part like that ruin my camping time. Mine failed on a trip after 5 years. It took longer to drive to a rv supply and buy another than to replace it.
Believe it or not Norty, not everyone is mechanically inclined, in fact, i would bet most are not. Also, the biggest problem right now, you cant find a regulator anywhere. If you didn't get one two months ago, you'll be very lucky to find one now. Some folks will not use their RV until this recall problem is fixed because they fear the safety problem related to gas. I feel for those folks.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haul n it all View Post
they claim no parts available to replace a bad regulator that could possibly kill you but are building new trailers with regulators every day. huh.
They don't make money supporting and taking care of their customers, only getting new customers. Pretty crazy logic.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:26 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
Believe it or not Norty, not everyone is mechanically inclined, in fact, i would bet most are not. Also, the biggest problem right now, you cant find a regulator anywhere. If you didn't get one two months ago, you'll be very lucky to find one now. Some folks will not use their RV until this recall problem is fixed because they fear the safety problem related to gas. I feel for those folks.
I can order the same one from Amazon and have it shipped to my door per Amazon by Early Dec.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 11-02-2021, 07:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
I received the notice just today but they said that they can't replace it now because of no parts, I did it already those so no worry I hate to wait.
Wanna hear something funny? I got my propane recall letter yesterday. Can you send the regulator back to me??? LOL!!!! Just kidding. Waiting to hear from dealer if it's actually in the recall, sent pictures with the numbers. I think they match. So now I'll be on the hunt again for another regulator.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:38 AM   #13

Quote:
I can order the same one from Amazon and have it shipped to my door per Amazon by Early Dec.
If its an Dual Stage Auto Switch over regulator, try ordering it.. I know lots of people that have placed orders on Amazon 6 weeks ago showing delivery dates like you say and they are still waiting.. And some are getting notices, item no longer available. If you don't need an auto switch over you can find those. Most of us here require Auto Switch Over.
Old 11-02-2021, 04:32 PM   #14

Quote:

Here is the one I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Double-...productDetails

If buying another one, I would try for a Marshal brand but even if it's replaced temporarily, You can go camping if you fear the recalled one is bad.
I purchased a inexpensive propane detector and it really gives me peace of mind. I use it every time I change tanks.
Thank you so much for this! It would cast me almost $100 just to pull the TT to the dealer because I live 100+ miles away. And, I'd much rather do the work myself anyway. I ordered one!
CBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:02 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
If its an Dual Stage Auto Switch over regulator, try ordering it.. I know lots of people that have placed orders on Amazon 6 weeks ago showing delivery dates like you say and they are still waiting.. And some are getting notices, item no longer available. If you don't need an auto switch over you can find those. Most of us here require Auto Switch Over.
IMO, that's the only type I would want. You may have a point about the lead time, they may be on a ship off shore from all I hear but Amazon usually comes thru. I see that someone on JOF ordered one. It will be interesting to see if it is fulfilled on time.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 11-02-2021, 07:04 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBears View Post
Thank you so much for this! It would cast me almost $100 just to pull the TT to the dealer because I live 100+ miles away. And, I'd much rather do the work myself anyway. I ordered one!
Don't forget to seal the fittings with yellow Teflon or better yet, good old fashioned pipe dope.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 11-04-2021, 01:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Yup, So basically, (in true sense) your TT is not usable and your warranty is being ticked away during that period you technically can't use your TT while you wait for them to get correct parts in to make the repair. Lots of class action law suits are being filed because of this. People are wanting their warranty periods extended for the time Dealers are waiting for parts to make repairs.. I defiantly would be demanding this.
Just to make sure that all is good, I purchased a regulator and hoses at our local hardware store that has an RV section. I put the old one back on when I took it in just so they could not blame it on the regulator I had on there. You bring up an interesting point along with others who are saying just a minute you are putting out new units with regulators and yet you cannot replace the ones that are already out there? Seems that would be a priority in my book.
Old 11-04-2021, 01:29 PM   #18

Another thing I noticed that someone mentioned getting a propane sniffer. Yes by all means they can be picked up at Lowes, Home Depot or online. We had a leak in burner on stove that I had used soap leak detector on and in my working days we used it a bunch anyway it did not show the leak but the sniffer did and same thing happened at dealer.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:05 PM   #19

regulator

I gave up on them. I will just eat the cost. They want the old regulator or pictures and you carry it back to the dealer for them to check it. My dealer is campers world. They did enough damage to my trailer on the other warranty items they fixed. Dents in the aluminum, lost parts and sloppy work. I paid them to winterize it while the work was done. The next spring the grey water tank was full of water.
steve.jurnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:58 PM   #20

I also got the recall letter, asking me to take a picture of the date stamp and send it to my dealer. I can only find this label, no stamp. Is this what they're looking for?
Attached Thumbnails
20211102_153334.jpg  
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote