Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2021, 07:26 PM   #21
RJR

In the last 40 years I have owned just about everything including GMC Duramax, Ram Cummins, Ford Powerstroke, Multiple Ram gas and Toyota Tundra, My favorite gas truck was the Toyota Tundra, I towed travel trailers and a small 5th wheel with no issues and bullet proof reliability. My favorite Diesel is my current 2021 Ford F350 towing a Pinnacle 5th wheel. Everything is a compromise, my current diesel is my daily driver, plows snow and tows a rather large 5th wheel and does it all with ease. Would I have such a heavy truck if I did not need it, absolutely not I would drive a Toyota Tundra. Decide what meets you need and what your budget is and make the best decision for you as every one has a different situation.
RJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:43 PM   #22

The emission controls and the horsepower/torque races have pretty much made modern diesel pickups less reliable than their gas counterparts. Gone are the days of the "tractor" that could run for millions of hours.

I have had plenty of emission control issues with my Ford. Been stranded or near stranded a couple of times in the middle of nowhere, by the limp mode. I now carry a code reader any time I am in the truck, just in case the check engine light pops on (which happens fairly often).

If I had to do it again, I would go with a gasser, unless I was planning to tow really heavy. Then you are much stuck with diesel.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:50 PM   #23

Hands down diesel. First time you drive in any mountain pass roads you will feel 100% safer with the Diesel engine braking. And you will enjoy the low RPM chucking up hills.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
DEF has a long shelf life if stored properly. Most stores are 68-70* inside. So 18 months for storage life. The time will very depending on the weather your truck sits in.
FWIW I get 19.5 to 21 mpg's with my 19 Ram 3500 CTD empty running 65-72 mph.
https://www.motorcraft.com/content/d...%20Quality.pdf

^^This^^ I get from 19 to 21 mpg empty and towing I get 10 to 12 mpg the DEF is not a problem you can go about 3 to 4 thousands miles not towing before refilling the DEF, you can go to the truck stop to get that also. At the end of the day it's all depend on your prefer and your situations and how you are going to be using your truck.

The cost is a little more on owning the diesel rig but it's worth it to me and really it's not that bad I don't even worry about it. I live in the PNW so going up hills and mountains it put a smile on my face now don't get me wrong I had many gas trucks and they have came a long ways but this is what I want.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJR View Post
In the last 40 years I have owned just about everything including GMC Duramax, Ram Cummins, Ford Powerstroke, Multiple Ram gas and Toyota Tundra, My favorite gas truck was the Toyota Tundra, I towed travel trailers and a small 5th wheel with no issues and bullet proof reliability. My favorite Diesel is my current 2021 Ford F350 towing a Pinnacle 5th wheel. Everything is a compromise, my current diesel is my daily driver, plows snow and tows a rather large 5th wheel and does it all with ease. Would I have such a heavy truck if I did not need it, absolutely not I would drive a Toyota Tundra. Decide what meets you need and what your budget is and make the best decision for you as every one has a different situation.

Yep, pretty much what RJR said find out your need and budget and go for it.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:43 AM   #26

The most civil gas vs diesel thread I’ve seen thus far.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:26 AM   #27

When we 1st started looking for our 1st 5ver, talked to DW's uncle about trucks - now keep in mind this was in the late 90s. Since DW was from California and we would go out there about every 5-8 years, he highly recommended a diesel. We are now on our 3rd diesel. The latest is a 2008 F450 and we just hit 102,000 while going to Minnesota (we bought it new in 2007). DW would drive it to work occasionally (parking in the back 40). We don't have the DEF issue and after reading several different threads on this forum so glad. Have we had issues? Sure. In fact while in Minnesota, it was towed - turns out the exhaust manifold was warped, 1 bolt sheared and 1 backed out.

Do we get good MPG? Not really. While towing, any where from 7.8 to 9.0 - a lot depends on head winds and the up/down. The other thing, we ordered it with a 4:30 rear end. Why? DW could upgrade to heavier unit and we wouldn't need to get another truck.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:27 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
X2

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:28 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Says you.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:13 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSkin View Post
We currently have a Silverado 1500 for towing our 264BH. We want to change to a 2500 and cannot decide on gas vs diesel engine. I know the diesel offers much greater torque for towing but there are other factors to consider, i.e. fuel economy, reliability, cost of maintenance, etc. Would appreciate any feedback anyone may have on this. Thanks.
We have a 2007 - 2500 duramax. So glad we don’t have to deal with additives to the gas or the DEF PROBLEMS. WE WERE LOOKING TO GO WITH A SENECA but after reading everyone’s comments on the Diesel engines today, I would go with a larger gas engine, unless your lucky enough to see if you could find one that is NO DEF. , if there is such a thing anymore…good luck
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:32 PM   #31

A factor to consider ... your spouse's 'comfort level'!

We towed with a gasser but in the west, we content with the Rockies, Sierra Nevada Range (e.g., down into Yosemite), and Coastal Range (e.g., highway 17 to Santa Cruz or the Grapevine to L.A.). I was a white-knuckle passenger until we got our 2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71/4x4 Duramax. Not only do I now enjoy the ride, but I'll even share the drive when towing!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:53 PM   #32
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired mountain folk View Post
We have a 2007 - 2500 duramax. So glad we don’t have to deal with additives to the gas or the DEF PROBLEMS. WE WERE LOOKING TO GO WITH A SENECA but after reading everyone’s comments on the Diesel engines today, I would go with a larger gas engine, unless your lucky enough to see if you could find one that is NO DEF. , if there is such a thing anymore…good luck
I think most of the DEF problems, if there are that many are blown out of proportion by a few that have had problems. Like most of these threads you hear more from the negatives.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 01:03 PM   #33

Gas diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSkin View Post
We currently have a Silverado 1500 for towing our 264BH. We want to change to a 2500 and cannot decide on gas vs diesel engine. I know the diesel offers much greater torque for towing but there are other factors to consider, i.e. fuel economy, reliability, cost of maintenance, etc. Would appreciate any feedback anyone may have on this. Thanks.
I bought the 2020 GMC Sierra duramax diesel 1500 6 cyl. Torque is 465 between 1500-3500 rpm. I tow Jayco jayflight 28bhs. Up mountains great. Downhill exhaust break kicks in auto automatically under certain speed. I love it. Maintenance is no big difference than gas. Change fuel filter is so easy. Watch the DEF Fuel indicator and add as needed, which is as easy as adding gas. Fuel mileage hwy I get 25 not towing. I love it
Dannye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 01:05 PM   #34

Send a message via AIM to Fleetman Send a message via MSN to Fleetman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
RWSkin, I feel I am your boat. I like the idea of the extra power a diesel can provide. What concerns is the DEF. My TV sits a lot. What I am researching DEF has a fairly short shelf life, and can give you a lot of grief, as it ages.

I'm leaning towards a gasser right now. I am thinking I might jump to a 350/3500 if I find one with the options I want.
100k+ miles towing with 2012 6.7l diesel F250. No DEF issues, MPG avg. 9.5 - 12, depending on flat vs. mountains. Cost to maintain is insignificant in comparison due to fuel mileage/cost of diesel vs. gas which averages 7.5 mpg.

Really boils down to how much you are willing to spend and total miles driven.

Note: Purchased TV in 2016 at considerable savings vs. new.

2017 North Point 315RLST
2012 F250 Lariat 2WD 6.7 diesel
Fleetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 01:16 PM   #35

Buy the gas and I’ll trade you my diesel for it

I bought a 2019 2500 HD Crew Cab because I wanted to be overpowered for my Jayco 195 RB (way over powered). I like the truck even though the DEF is a pain. What I hate is that in one year the truck has gone into limp mode (because of emissions issues) four times, twice when I was hundreds of miles from a dealer and had to drive there at a forced 35 mph. I’d trade if for a gas if it’s one that would allow me to move my bed cap and drawer system over to it. These things are too big of an investment to leave behind or sell used.

Read about others’ complaints about the Duramax going into limp mode.

I’m begging to think that limp mode has nothing to do with protecting the vehicle from damage as they claim. It appears to be more about getting owners back in the dealership for repairs and adjustments since independent mechanics can’t work on it. Scam in my mind.
Birddoggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:27 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I think most of the DEF problems, if there are that many are blown out of proportion by a few that have had problems. Like most of these threads you hear more from the negatives.
X2 - Owned gas trucks all my life but after going 3500 Duramax in 2019 I would never go back to gasser. It all depends on what your individual needs are but for safety and comfort pulling a load diesel is the only way to go for me.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:38 PM   #37

The 6.2 gas with the 10 speed trannie on the GMC Sierra HD is a great combo for towing.
The combo will downshift automatically acting like an exhaust brake... Downshifting the trannie to keep you from using your brakes. I have the same engine with 8 speed on my Denali. My trailer averages 6k lbs for a normal week trip. Higher if we travel. I've had no problems with 7% hills that last for miles..up and down. Rarely use the brakes!

Both gas and diesel have advantages and disadvantages. It's really your budget and comfort zone. I have no plans to go up in size(I'm 29ft already)... I'll probably go down. So my truck is going to stay my TV as long as it keeps on ticking! 118k miles so far!!!
P.S. 420hp. 460ft lbs torque. Does the job.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:30 PM   #38

Gas v diesel

Well diesel is easier tow ,better mileage and no screaming rpms under load
DEF is not a problem but some of the big haul trucks maybe so Ii here but not any with my duramax or light duty trucks
Never heard of any complaints from people that already have em they cost more sure there worth it
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:32 PM   #39

Diesel, Your gas mileage will be better. DEF is no big deal, just add some when it tells you. Towing is a breeze as you will have lots of power.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:43 PM   #40

I have a 30.5ckts fifth wheel, and I needed a 3/4 ton truck and my wife gets GM employee pricing so we bought a Chevrolet 2500 HD LT 4x4-Dark blue gasser and it just turned 6,700 miles and we love it and we’re leaving to go out west in about 2weeks. The payload is around 3100lbs, so no need to worry about that. We’re getting around 8.5mpg-9.5mpg pulling the Jayco. Empty around town we’re getting around 15mpg. I’m gonna sell it around the first of Jan and get a diesel because of a work related issue, no other reason.It’s probably gonna have around 11k-12k miles on it then.It’ll make someone a good truck. Plus I’ll be able to get my money’s worth out of either one of them. We love the 6.6 gasser. I hope I love the diesel even more. Oh yeah, I checked the payload on the diesel and it was 3100 lbs also. Loaded out the same way.LT model 4x4.
Bodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote