Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2021, 08:18 AM   #1

Gas vs Diesel

We currently have a Silverado 1500 for towing our 264BH. We want to change to a 2500 and cannot decide on gas vs diesel engine. I know the diesel offers much greater torque for towing but there are other factors to consider, i.e. fuel economy, reliability, cost of maintenance, etc. Would appreciate any feedback anyone may have on this. Thanks.
RWSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:26 AM   #2

My decision to stay with gas was based on the DEF b/s. A case of 'fixing it 'til it breaks'. I wasn't interested in one more thing that's cool when it works and stress when it doesn't.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:33 AM   #3

I didn't want the initial cost upfront as well as maintaining the truck (oil changes, DEF, etc.) that diesels need so gas was my choice. If I was full-timing that would be a different story but my truck serves as a daily/driver for work, etc. so I wasn't sure if diesels are still not good to drive 5-10 minutes to the store & back. Gas works well for me!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:37 AM   #4

One other consideration is regards to where you are going to travel to. I'm good east of the Rockies, but if I was hitting those grades, switchbacks and elevations, gas wouldn't be a choice for me.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:41 AM   #5

If you want power (and good engine braking) in the mountains, go diesel. If you want better MPG, go diesel.
But you pay for the power and MPG upfront and with additional service.
Diesel is expensive to buy, expensive to maintain.

Gas will get you on the road for less money. Gas is dependable and hassle free. Unless you plan to run hundreds of thousands of miles, you'll probably come out way ahead (money-wise) with a gas truck.

We're happy with our gas truck. We can't climb hills out West quickly, but we do get there and get back.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:46 AM   #6

I like the diesel for the relaxed towing experience thanks to low rpm, more power and the pseudo exhaust brake(Chevy). Also, enjoy the greater range with the improved mileage, and the ability to use the truck lanes when fueling on the road.

I’m on my second diesel. Both are GM products. First was flawless for the 36K I owned it. My newest one has been 99% flawless. Only issue I’ve had is no def gauge and for whatever reason it goes straight from having enough def to giving me threatening messages. When towing, now I just top it off every 1500 miles and all is good. Empty it’ll go 5000 miles on a def tank.

As far as expense on regular maintenance…. I can’t really tell a difference. Oil changes may cost about $20 more than my wife’s little Acura, but are less frequent. Fuel filter is cheap and takes me 10 mins. Unscheduled maintenance I’m sure will be hefty, but so far so good there.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:48 AM   #7

I have owned both and towed a TT and 5er with both. If I go back to a 5er I would go with diesel if the RV was in the upper range of the truck's towing capacity ratings, otherwise when I had mine (I still have the low mileage ~100k 2500HD Duramax and I expect it to last a long time as I don't use it much anymore as I don't have a 5er anymore). Also, the RV trailer's I pulled where not the heaviest for sure ~30' range maybe 11~12k lbs empty.

With all the new diesel pollution control systems, I would go with a gas engine for a similar sized trailer as to what I had. I never had issues crossing the Rockies with a gas engine Chev 2500hd, although for sure the Duramax pulled better. So, my suggestion is to consider how heavy your RV is and where you plan to RV (ie crossing\camping in the Rockies with a big TT or 5er, a diesel engine will certainly be your friend, average size TT or 5er, a gas engine also works very well and cost less all around, especially if you seldom cross the Rockies.) ~CA
Old 10-05-2021, 09:08 AM   #8

I'd have a diesel even if I were towing a small R-Pod style TT. MPG's are way better. More relaxed when towing. Exhaust brake is as good as it gets. I do live in the PNW and tow over big hills and mtns all the time.
If I lived in flat country I go gas up to 12,000 lbs.
I tow around 5,000 miles year and the savings in fuel covers my oil/fuel filter changes.
Up front cost is more but I decided I wanted a diesel so I picked a truck in my budget that worked. No different than having a spending limit and picking a trim level that works.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:37 AM   #9

We are very happy with GAS and have no issues towing our 5th wheel camper. The standard gas tank on our 6.6 liter 2500 is 36 gallons, cargo load capacity is 3,298 lbs and GCWR is 24,000 lbs and max 5th wheel trailer weight is 16,220 lbs
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:00 AM   #10

RWSkin, I feel I am your boat. I like the idea of the extra power a diesel can provide. What concerns is the DEF. My TV sits a lot. What I am researching DEF has a fairly short shelf life, and can give you a lot of grief, as it ages.

I'm leaning towards a gasser right now. I am thinking I might jump to a 350/3500 if I find one with the options I want.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:09 AM   #11

Also, diesel eats up more of your payload. If you want diesel, go ahead and get a 3500/350. like I said, I'm happy with the 6.2 gas, 7.3 might be better, but my regret is not going up one more class in the truck, from 250 to 350, just for a little wiggle room on my payload.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:15 AM   #12

Towed a 7800# 5th wheel with a older GM 6.2 gas 3:73 axle. Did the job, but any headwind or hills and it's RPM's went wayyy up, mileage 6-8 mpg. Couldn't pull in top gear (6th), transmission would hunt and get hotter, left it in 5th.
2020 Duramax tows 12500# easily, around 9-10 mpg, 12+ if doing 55mph. Winds, hills never above 2000 rpm's. Yep, it uses DEF, costs $80-100 for oil changes, and needs a fuel filter every 15k or so but it is hugely more capable and as previously stated more "relaxing".
My opinion-FWIW- If you plan on towing often, I'd go diesel. If you are an occasional camper, gas may suit you.
Also, you may consider going 3500 vs 2500. Cost isn't that much more for the added capacity.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:16 AM   #13

I had a 2015 F250 Diesel and just off-loaded it and went back to a 2022 F250 gasser. The diesel had only 30K miles on it. I loved the pulling power of the diesel and never noticed the trailer behind me. However, I had issues after issue with the emission control garbage.

Every time I went on a trip I ended up in a Ford dealership having to get something fixed or flashed. After the emission control warranty was out...it began costing me big $$$$. So it had to go.

Granted my trailer only weights in at 9K max, the diesel was great pulling it but not worth the headaches and money. My new gasser somewhat notices the trailer behind me but tows it just fine.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:24 AM   #14

Also a thought to keep in mind is the engine braking. While a diesel exhaust brake can certainly be your friend going down steep declines, a gas engine also has great "engine" braking that can certainly keep you from riding the brakes. The difference is that a gas engine throttle restricts the air coming into the engine which in turn results in significant braking, a diesel is free flowing without an intake throttle valve and therefore it isn't great for braking unless a restriction into the air\exhaust flow occurs hence the need for an exhaust brake which works very similarly (for braking purposes) as the already in place air intake restriction that a gas engine has when the throttle is closed. ~CA
Old 10-05-2021, 10:52 AM   #15

I'm getting 17.0 hwy with my F350. Diesel for me..always.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:37 PM   #16

DEF has a long shelf life if stored properly. Most stores are 68-70* inside. So 18 months for storage life. The time will very depending on the weather your truck sits in.
FWIW I get 19.5 to 21 mpg's with my 19 Ram 3500 CTD empty running 65-72 mph.
https://www.motorcraft.com/content/d...%20Quality.pdf
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:06 PM   #17

As long as lmc has body parts, I'm keeping my 7.3 powerstroke. No def or dpf. Way more tolerant of bad fuel than the newer stuff. It does stuff at 1800 rpm in overdrive, that my 5.4 sd was screaming in second gear to accomplish. It is not my daily, just my working dog. I also pull a 264bh. Don't feel it behind me until I hit crosswinds.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:36 PM   #18
CAG

Quote:
Gas will get you on the road for less money. Gas is dependable and hassle free. Unless you plan to run hundreds of thousands of miles, you'll probably come out way ahead (money-wise) with a gas truck.
Until you decide to upgrade RVs which just about every one does, and you need a new truck because you bought a BIG 5th wheel. I cannot tell you how many newbees have come on here and other sights saying that they just upgraded and want to know if their 1500/150 will pull their new RV and it won't.

As to expense, yes you pay more for a diesel and it takes a few quarts more oil at an oil change (once a year, big deal) and if something breaks it is more expensive, well not really and in most cases it happens under warranty so cost nothing. DEF was something I did not like but then it is just another pretty small maintenance item. Engine braking is a big plus on mountain grades when going down hill. When going up hill it is kinda fun passing all of those struggling gassers and if you have a Duramax all of the Fords and Dodges Oh, and there is nothing undependable or a hassle about diesels. I don't know where anyone came up with that one.

The point here is you are going to stay in RVing plan ahead and spend the extra money for something you like to drive, hauls what you want to haul, now and in the future. Oilers rule! Sorry could not resist that and I do miss the Duramax but love my Jeep!

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:51 PM   #19
Site Team

I own both. Two diesels and a gas in my signature. My wife also has a gas powered Ram. Both designs have their advantages and disadvantages. As mentioned above, you really need to take a close look at your actual usage and weigh that information in your choice.

With that said, my biggest gripe against diesel ownership right now is simply finding someone to work on them. As some of you know, I worked in an a diesel shop for many years and still moonlight at an independent shop. Most dealerships have a diesel tech or two on staff. But, finding an independent in some areas is all but impossible. So, I guess the moral of my story is, one of the considerations I would make before you decide to go with a diesel is to see what is available in your area if/when the time comes for service or maintenance. That may factor in your decision either way.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:53 PM   #20

Your truck, your choice. Modern gas engines in the 3/4 ton territory are pretty solid, as are the modern diesels. I have a diesel because I stumbled across a good deal while looking to buy a gas engine. The ease of towing with a diesel, the exhaust brake and better fuel economy make it a pretty easy decision to get another diesel when I outgrow this truck.

Word to the wise, if you get a diesel, just get a 1 ton. There are precious few reasons to justify buying a diesel 3/4 ton truck when a 1 ton is essentially the same price.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote