Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2019, 10:58 AM   #1

Gasses from black/Grey tank solved

Folks, I have a Jayco swift 154bh. When I turned the AC on, and If I have the black and Grey tank valves open, I would get the sewer gasses coming into the camper. After some work, I started to replace the vent caps with the siphon 360, and wouldnt you know, Jayco build team left holes around the vent pipes. The sewer gasses are being sucked into your camper through the hole around the vent caps. Replace your caps with the siphon 360, seal up the cracks/hole around the vent pipe, and presto, you can run your AC with no sewer gasses in your camper. Hope this helps other people.
Sethandvonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:53 AM   #2

Thanks for the info.

But just to clarify: Did Jayco seal around the vent pipe on your roof?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #3

They put about a 3 inch hole in the roof and the two inch vent pipe thru the hole with a 1inch gap around the vent pipe. They do the outside seal around the outside of the vent cap which keeps the water from entering the camper, but they do not seal around the pipe itself which allows the sewer gas to to be drawn into the camper through the 3 inch ceiling hole from the AC pulling the air in.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:29 AM   #4

The AC recirculates air so I don't see how it could be pulling in air.

Also, if the roof is sealed and assuming there's no holes in the vent pipe between the ceiling and roof how are fumes present in the first place? If the roof is water tight it's also sewer gas tight.

What am I missing?

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #5

My camper is airtight. The AC pulls air from the inside of the camper, so the AC will pull air from any opening to outside. My vent pipes were not sealed around the pipe itself. The vent cap sits around the vent pipe, but Jayco did not seal the cap to the pipe, so the sewer gasses were being pulled from the AC, thru the ceiling, thru the 3in ceiling hole and thru the Crack between the sewer vent pipe and the vent pipe cap that sits over the pipe. Its a small Crack, but left unsealed, and because the camper is airtight, the gasses get sucked thru that small crack and into the ceiling and into the camper. I had horrible sewer gas smell when ac was on with my black Grey tank valves open, now I have zero gas smell with the valves open when AC is running.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
The AC recirculates air so I don't see how it could be pulling in air.

What am I missing?
Exactly what I was thinking. The A/C just recirculates air across the coil to cool it, should have no effect on pulling gases from outside.

Maybe the OP has his exhaust fans on? These would cause negative pressure inside the coach and try to pull in outside air from any gaps.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:47 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethandvonda View Post
I had horrible sewer gas smell when ac was on with my black Grey tank valves open, now I have zero gas smell with the valves open when AC is running.
Why are your black/gray valves open? They should be kept closed at all times, except for the quick dump of the tanks?
Old 07-08-2019, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Why are your black/gray valves open? They should be kept closed at all times, except for the quick dump of the tanks?
I leave my gray tank valve open routinely on a full-hookup site. Black valve stays closed until tank is full.

But I still don't understand how gasses from the vent stack got inside?

In my case, I think the 14x14 ceiling vent is close in proximity to the vent stack, and especially driving down the road, we have all kinds of pressure differentials, so we sometimes get fumes inside. But I'm pretty sure it's not happening like OP describes.

I'm going to put a siphon cap of some kind on anyway, and I'm certainly going to check to ensure the vent stack is sealed properly. Not necessarily for fumes, but to protect against water intrusion. Water intrusion is what my nightmares are made of!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I leave my gray tank valve open routinely on a full-hookup site. Black valve stays closed until tank is full.
So, how do you rinse out the sewer hose after draining the black, if your gray tank is already empty?

Quote:
In my case, I think the 14x14 ceiling vent is close in proximity to the vent stack, and especially driving down the road, we have all kinds of pressure differentials, so we sometimes get fumes inside. But I'm pretty sure it's not happening like OP describes.
That is certainly possible, I know I have a plumbing vent right next to my bedroom vent, and had to play around when installing the vent cover the other day to get around it..

But, running the A/C wouldn't "pull" in outside air. If he has the roof vent open at the same time and the wind is blowing fumes into the vent, then maybe.

He would have to be running a exhaust fan that puts negative pressure inside the coach, to cause fumes to be pulled in around any gaps.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
So, how do you rinse out the sewer hose after draining the black, if your gray tank is already empty?

That is certainly possible, I know I have a plumbing vent right next to my bedroom vent, and had to play around when installing the vent cover the other day to get around it..

But, running the A/C wouldn't "pull" in outside air. If he has the roof vent open at the same time and the wind is blowing fumes into the vent, then maybe.

He would have to be running a exhaust fan that puts negative pressure inside the coach, to cause fumes to be pulled in around any gaps.
Lots of ways to "rinse the stinky slinky". 1) I have a tank flush, so I fill and flush the black tank 3 or more times when emptying which takes care of MOST of the problem. 2) I will close the gray valve for a short time before I dump the black to get some extra rinse. 3) I have an attachment for the end of my slinky that I can attach my flush hose to that will give me a good rinse. 4) I can make a "loop" with the slinky and fill it with fresh water (after it has been given a basic rinse already) and just lift the hose up as I "walk it" toward the sewer outlet.

DW likes to have her long showers, so I generally leave it open to accommodate that.

I agree about the negative pressure though. I'm often curious what causes pressure differentials throughout the coach in various circumstances. That's one reason I want to install a siphon vent on my coach; it doesn't seem to matter what's happening inside the coach, if that toilet valve opens while we're moving, we get a whiff.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, black, grey, sewer, smell