Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2016, 09:39 AM   #1

Gated Community & RV Storage/Loading/Unloading

We are considering moving to a gated community and unfortunately, owners cannot park RV's in their driveways. There is RV parking/storage on site, but for now, there is a wait list. This means we have to store the trailer off-site until such time as a spot became available in the complex.

In all the years we've owned an RV, we have always been able to park it in our yard/driveway so this would be quite a change for us and leads me to seek some advice, or tips, from others on the forum who may be in the same situation.

There is a lot of stuff we keep in the trailer all the time -- dishes, dry goods, etc. But during the camping season, we always have the fridge plugged in and certain foods inside it. (Mainly condiments, I suppose). Storing the trailer elsewhere, whether in the complex or not, means it's a lot more complicated. You can't leave the trailer plugged in, you either have to take everything to the storage site to load, or bring the trailer to the complex to do same. I'm told we can park the trailer on the street in front of the house for a few hours to load and unload, but again, you better be ready to leave on the trip right after loading!

So any tips from others in this situation? Do you bring the trailer to the house to load? Or take everything to the storage site (food, clothes, etc)? Thanks!
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:58 AM   #2

"Do you bring the trailer to the house to load? Or take everything to the storage site (food, clothes, etc)? "

We have 3 approaches we take, depending on which direction our trip is taking us and how pressed for time we are.
In Denver county, you cant park your RV on the street for more than a day or so. The enforcement doesn't happen until someone complains, and our neighbors are pretty cool so I've kept mine out front for up to a week, when we first got it. Not pushing my luck though so I keep it to 24 hours or less now.

We keep our camper loaded and ready for use from Tax Day to Thanksgiving (more or less). Clothes, dishes, everything... Minus perishable food. It's really not that complex. The day before a camping trip, I get the camper out of storage and park it in front of my house. We could do this in an hour if we needed to. I plug it in, get the fridge going, load it up, and we bail. It is inconvenient, but not complex at all. We prefer this approach when time permits.

Plan B, when we are heading south of town (my storage lot is south of town) We will pack a couple crates at home with things we want to take with us, it's not a lot of stuff, and we pack a cooler with the perishables. It takes 5 minutes to load the fridge / freezer, and we take off from there. The cooler goes into 'beer service'. For this to be an option, it's very helpful to keep a running inventory of what you have onboard. So you don't forget to bring new 'supplies' as needed.

Plan C - We just pick up the camper and hit up the first Walmart in route. This works well too because the fridge and freezer are cold and ready to use by the time we fill them.

Edited to add - now that I'm addicted to the RV thing, I would not consider relocating to a house or community where I cannot store it on site. Storage fees work out to about 650 dollars a year for me, it's not a huge amount of money obviously, but I hate the bleed out of cash regardless.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcamom View Post
So any tips from others in this situation? Do you bring the trailer to the house to load? Or take everything to the storage site (food, clothes, etc)? Thanks!

we're in an HOA controlled neighborhood. 3 days max is the amount of time we can plunk the motorhome in front of the house.

So, we keep non-perishables in the RV. We've got other stuff in plastic bins, ready to go. (I bought a 5 shelf rack from Walmart and plunked it in the basement, so that's where all the RV stuff goes.). Clean towels stay in the motorhome.

We have plastic bins for kids clothes. I keep light jackets / pullovers in the RV. So we try to stay as organized as possible.

The day before we leave, we bring the RV to the house and park it in front. Plug it in, fire up the fridge and start loading.

We too had a devil of a time finding a storage facility. RVing is pretty popular, I guess.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #4

Our unit is in storage as well - about 6 miles away. The storage place has been broken into (lost count) and our unit has been broken into 3 times. Unfortunately ALL the storage units, including dealerships, have had their units broken into. We remove all electronics (or better yet, hide them in locked areas) so if they break in they get nothing.

We cannot park our unit at home unless it is behind the rear corner of the house - which means we have to have another driveway put in & the electrical wires lifted. We cannot park it in the driveway for any length of time either - there is someone around us that immediately calls the county on us - but you drive through the subdivision & see all sorts of TT & boats in the driveway. Could be because our unit is so long.

We do take our clothes down the day before & put things away. Dishes & non-perishables stay in the trailer. Other things are taken down the day we leave. Fridge is started in the morning (residential fridge) & wife places ice packs around everything. Works great for her.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #5

Our lot is a good distance away so we cart everything to the unit and load it there. Non-perishables stay in the unit.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #6

Quote:
We are considering moving to a gated community and unfortunately, owners cannot park RV's in their driveways. There is RV parking/storage on site, but for now, there is a wait list. This means we have to store the trailer off-site until such time as a spot became available in the complex.

In all the years we've owned an RV, we have always been able to park it in our yard/driveway so this would be quite a change for us and leads me to seek some advice, or tips, from others on the forum who may be in the same situation.

There is a lot of stuff we keep in the trailer all the time -- dishes, dry goods, etc. But during the camping season, we always have the fridge plugged in and certain foods inside it. (Mainly condiments, I suppose). Storing the trailer elsewhere, whether in the complex or not, means it's a lot more complicated. You can't leave the trailer plugged in, you either have to take everything to the storage site to load, or bring the trailer to the complex to do same. I'm told we can park the trailer on the street in front of the house for a few hours to load and unload, but again, you better be ready to leave on the trip right after loading!

I would NOT ever buy in a community like that...........
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:56 AM   #7

X2 on the plastic baskets. My DW has found plastic baskets and containers that fit perfectly in the bottom of the closet (for non hanging clothes) in the kitchen cabinets (for food and condiments) then we use either a large clothes basket for the refrigerator contents or a cooler depending.

Buddy Ray - Atlanta
---------------
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #8

I live out in the country. Mine is parked in front of the shop with my utility trailer right next to it. Tractor kind of moves around where it gets parked.
5thGenTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
good to know.
but let's avoid turning this into a discussion on HOAs.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:40 PM   #10

Quote:

I agree!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:47 PM   #11

Quote:
We have a storage lot here in our community. When we want to put it in front of the house we just pull it around. But, if we want to keep it there overnight, we have to call the HOA management to let them know. We're allowed to have it out front 2 nights per month. We usually only need one night. Once parked out front, we plug it in to get the fridge going. We then load our clothes and incidentals. Towels, sheets, etc. stay in the trailer after being laundered. It's really not a hassle to get it out of storage and pull it around the corner.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:31 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for your comments. Food for thought.
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:21 PM   #13

Hahaha, you would change your mind, if you were to buy ANY real estate in SF Bay Area.

My storage place is 25 mins from home. I started paying the fees 4 months before picking up the trailer. I am on a couple of waiting lists for closer places, but there is not much movement. It is definitely not very convenient to keep the trailer away and not to have much options to park it even for one night closer to home. We hit the road with trailer only three times so far and I just went to the storage place one day before to pack so stuff... I just take it as a part of the game.

Quote:
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:17 PM   #14

I keep ours RV off site, we can bring it home to load it for about two days but I only keep it on the street for one day, just long enough to load it. We take all of the stuff out of the refer, but keep all other stuff inside.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote