Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2022, 02:22 PM   #1

General RV questions

…since I’m posting in the general Jayco RV chat.

1. Daunting numbers looking at Amazon for RV security for locks at the ball coupler for a travel trailer. I will have a new one in a few months and what lock has worked best for your travel trailer. Are there any other security items I can do since I’m relying on a business that offers outside storage for RV’s on a fenced in lot. ( shoe boot?)

2. If in a bind and have a breakdown, should I have had AAA or Good Sams Club?

3. What insurance company will offer the best rates for a travel trailer? Is there any companies that offer discounts for auto insurance and RV insurance? ( home owners?
Probably asking too much. LOL.)
Thanks for your time and experience.
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 03:18 PM   #2

1. Someone has had success with each of the styles. The idea is to make someone else's trailer more tempting.

2. Everyone has had a great and horrible experience with each of the services. I've been extremely happy with AAA for years. Others have been left stranded on the side of the road by them.

3. Depending on where the problem occurs it could be your homeowners insurance (storage), your auto policy (in transit), or a separate RV policy (camping). I've been happy with Progressive through USAA. Slightly more expensive but my claim was handled quickly and completely without any hassle.
Old 03-02-2022, 03:23 PM   #3

I’m with Farmers insurance. They insure my home , trucks and trailer(including road side service for both truck & trailer). I do get a discount. I think I would start the search with your insurance agent. If you are insured by more than one company call each one and see who will give you the best deal for the most coverage. I’m sure you will get a lot of good advice on this subject. It can be a little daunting. Good luck with your search!
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
…since I’m posting in the general Jayco RV chat.

1. Daunting numbers looking at Amazon for RV security for locks at the ball coupler for a travel trailer. I will have a new one in a few months and what lock has worked best for your travel trailer. Are there any other security items I can do since I’m relying on a business that offers outside storage for RV’s on a fenced in lot. ( shoe boot?)

2. If in a bind and have a breakdown, should I have had AAA or Good Sams Club?

3. What insurance company will offer the best rates for a travel trailer? Is there any companies that offer discounts for auto insurance and RV insurance? ( home owners?
Probably asking too much. LOL.)
Thanks for your time and experience.
#1 Security. The key is to make your rig less appealing than the next unit. When you find a tongue lock or a boot that you like, do a google search and find a few YouTube videos on how to bypass that unit. Some are crazy easy to bypass. Do not forget your exposed propane and batteries. These are commonly noted as stolen. I have a bicycle cable through the handles and decent lock in a location that is hard to reach with a bolt cutter (cordless grinder can get to it, but you probably need a buddy to help hold it). There are battery clamps that have a lock. Some owners find it just easier to remove the tanks and batteries after each trip.

#2/3 Insurance. I do not have anything special. I have State Farm, with the towing rider (very cheap). It will cover towing my TV & TT up to 100 miles (not required to go to the closest shop). I have not used it with a trailer. My parents have the same rider they lost the distributor on there 87 Suburban a couple years back. They were 90+ miles from home. Tow truck loaded the Suburban on the flatbed, and hooked the TT to the tail hook. Took them home, placed the TT in their driveway, and dropped the TV off at the repair shop. They did have to pay for the tow upfront. But SF reimbursed them fully. My kid's car had a catastrophic rust failure last summer. Called SF up, and we arranged a tow from the 15 miles home (we were leaving on an extended vacation the next day). No charge they arranged everything.

As for insurance, I would start with who you have for your primary TV insurance. When under tow, your vehicle insurance covers the TT, at least that is how I understand it. So if you have two different providers it could get ugly if you ever need to submit a moving vehicle claim. Point, ask a lot of questions.

Happy Camping

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:50 AM   #5

X2 on Farmers Insurance. It's a pain in the butt to insurance shop but I saved about $400 a year dropping AAA, same or better coverage. To get the best deal everything has to be insured by them, house, other vehicles, and you have to join AARP.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 10:35 AM   #6

Of note: My agent was able to add a trailer coverage to my policy that covered it for an established value. I can't address any carrier other than my current one, but they don't discount the value with depreciation as the the unit ages. At least not yet they haven't and it's been a few years.

I did this because, from experience (lost a trailer parked in my driveway to a storm and it was totaled by the underwriters) neither the auto policy trailer coverage nor the homeowner's policy would set a reasonable value, thereby making restoration possible. The trailer had a dealer trade book of $12K and personal property inside was worth a few dollars as well. The average dealer sale price from the same source was over $20K. Excellent condition was $25K. I was offered two choices: buy it back for $1000 and repair it myself, or take $4K. Ouch. But I learned a lesson.

The more expensive your rig, the more important that you insure for a stated value. Your carrier may require an appraisal...get your own appraiser. They aren't that expensive. Car dealers can point you to a couple of certified ones.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 11:38 AM   #7

Regarding locks - we have a friend who is a locksmith & he provided us with the appropriate lock. A little more expensive but definitely does the job (that was on our TT & the Scout trailer).

As far as Good Sam/AAA. At what time we had both but never used Good Sam. We eventually went with AAA Premium - up to 200 miles free on one of the tows as well as a vehicle battery per year. Have had AAA for 35+ years and really haven't had any problems.

Our 5vr is insured through National General because of our F450. They would only insure the truck if the RV was included. Know we pay more but not much we can do until we get a new truck. Why the F450? At the time we purchased our previous 5vr, the F350 would have been over limit so got the F450. Now the new F350's are definitely capable.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote