Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #1

Generator / A/C question

I got my second Yamaha EF2000is and the parallel set in today.

I set them both up and started them to try the 15K A/C on the camper

The first time it worked. After that the only way I could get the A/C to kick in was to turn the fan on, set the temp up high, switch it to "cool" and then slide the temp selector down.

I suppose that's better than no A/C, but I remember reading that there is something I can add to make starting the A/C easier.

What was it called?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1404.jpg  
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:31 PM   #2

Supco

This is what I added to my 15k AC and am able to run it of my yamaha 2400. If I've been unplugged for a while, I have to run the generator for a few minutes. Not sure if that is time for the capacitor to "charge up" or something else, but it works.

I was able to purchase it locally at a plumbing/heating/cooling supply shop.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:32 PM   #3

Are talking about a "hard start" capacitor? I think all the new a/c units come with one. What your experiencing sounds like a thermostat issue. Also the a/c has a built in time delay so if you tried it a couple times in a row it won't restart right away.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Are talking about a "hard start" capacitor? I think all the new a/c units come with one. What your experiencing sounds like a thermostat issue. Also the a/c has a built in time delay so if you tried it a couple times in a row it won't restart right away.
I didn't know that and it might be the issue. I'll check it tomorrow. I didn't have much time today because my wife coerced me into joining her church's softball team and my first practice started at 6:00. I'm pretty sore right now.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
Supco

This is what I added to my 15k AC and am able to run it of my yamaha 2400. If I've been unplugged for a while, I have to run the generator for a few minutes. Not sure if that is time for the capacitor to "charge up" or something else, but it works.

I was able to purchase it locally at a plumbing/heating/cooling supply shop.
If what Grumpy suggested doesn't work tomorrow I'll have to check into that.

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:10 PM   #6

Grumpy is correct in that many units have capacitors installed. Attached is a picture of the one that was factory installed on mine, along with the wiring diagram on my AC unit.

The specs on the factory installed unit differs from the specs on the SSP6 unit. While I understand electricity, I don't understand how capacitors are measured, so my assumption is that the replacement provides a bit bigger of a boost than the factory one.

I can say with certainty that my 2400 would NOT start the AC with the factory capacitor, but it will start and run with the SSP6 unit installed.
Attached Thumbnails
20160617_203330.jpg   20160617_203339.jpg  
Old 06-06-2017, 08:46 PM   #7

Mine appeared to have the hard start capacitor installed as well. I was questioning if my Yamaha 3000is would run my 15K AC but it does just fine so you should be fine as well with 4000w.

Another thing I have read is that if the generators are on Eco that it might not have time to ramp up to meet the demands of the AC. Ours seemed fine with this but we have a single gen not a pair. The capacitor is there to help out with this. However it is another thing to try.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #8

FORGET THE HARD START CAPACITOR.

Get a Micro-Air Easystart 634
Cost is $299.00 and use the word AIRSTREAM in the discount coupon and get $40.00 off.
EasyStart™ is the best-in-class soft starter for single-phase motors operating at 115-240VAC/50-60Hz, only available from Micro-Air. With unmatched performance and compressor-protection features, it allows you to start your air conditioner on a limited power source, such as a generator, inverter or reduced utility hookup, when it otherwise would not have been possible.

Watch this video:
I have one and don't have any problems starting my AC on 1 Yamaha 2000 inverter Generator running in Eco mode.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I have one and don't have any problems starting my AC on 1 Yamaha 2000 inverter[I] Generator running in Eco mode.
In your signature I see your TT has the elite package so I assume you have a 15K BTU A/C on it, right?

You can run a 15K A/C on a single Yamaha 2000 watt inverter generator?
Old 06-07-2017, 08:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
In your signature I see your TT has the elite package so I assume you have a 15K BTU A/C on it, right?

You can run a 15K A/C on a single Yamaha 2000 watt inverter generator?
I run mine personally on a Yamaha 3000is but in theory you might be able to run it on a single 2000. In my case I would have to shed lots of power. Disconnect the outdoor fridge as that is 110V only. Make sure the fridge is set to Gas not Automatic. Then that other product he mentioned is likely a big capacitor which is assisting starting the AC unit. It also has some other bits in there to monitor how long between compressor cycles. That isn't all that fancy of tech though. I have a thermostat that I wired up for my fermentation chamber (I homebrew beer) so I can precisely control the temps (cooling or heating) and that has a timer so the compressor won't cycle too much. I think I paid $20 for the thermostat.

Once an AC unit is running it doesn't take that much power to keep it running. It is the spike trying to start the compressor that will kick out (or stop dead) a generator that is too small to take the load. Refrigerators also have compressors so you want to make sure none of them are trying to start at the same time.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
I run mine personally on a Yamaha 3000is but in theory you might be able to run it on a single 2000. In my case I would have to shed lots of power. Disconnect the outdoor fridge as that is 110V only. Make sure the fridge is set to Gas not Automatic. Then that other product he mentioned is likely a big capacitor which is assisting starting the AC unit. It also has some other bits in there to monitor how long between compressor cycles. That isn't all that fancy of tech though. I have a thermostat that I wired up for my fermentation chamber (I homebrew beer) so I can precisely control the temps (cooling or heating) and that has a timer so the compressor won't cycle too much. I think I paid $20 for the thermostat.

Once an AC unit is running it doesn't take that much power to keep it running. It is the spike trying to start the compressor that will kick out (or stop dead) a generator that is too small to take the load. Refrigerators also have compressors so you want to make sure none of them are trying to start at the same time.
That's good info. Thanks!
Old 06-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #12

Hey guys don't mean to hijack but I just bought a new Jay flight 26bh with the elite package but it has the standard 13.5k AC system. I believe in 2017 they made the 15k units a separate option for a few hundred bucks more. Wish I had found one with it but we opted for the model with extra skylight instead. Anyway I would also like to be able to run the AC on gen power for a few hrs or overnight if needed. We plan on taking a 10 day trip from the Northeast down to Florida in July and it's gonna be hot! Will these 13.5k units in a small trailer like mine be powerful enough to keep us cool? I've heard some people say that the best it will do is about 15 degrees cooler than outdoor temp. That doesn't really help if it's 100 degrees outdoors. We do plan on being hooked up when we arrive in FL and will probably just leave the AC on all day to make sure it stays cool. However I was mostly concerned about the journey down and stopping for rest,meals etc if I decide to not stop overnight at a campground and just pull in somewhere for a few hrs and hook up a quiet gen.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

You can run a 15K A/C on6 a single Yamaha 2000 watt inverter generator?
Yes
Do the research on the Micro-air. You will be surprised what it does. It is not a big capacitor.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote