Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2020, 07:12 AM   #1

Generator cover

what do you guys use to cover your portable generator while its raining? I've looked at the gentent but I like to build my own stuff.I haven't seen much on YouTube for my Honda eu3000is. Any ideas would be appreciated
Jamyb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:43 AM   #2

Our rig is a TT behind an F150 with a topper on it. Generator is strapped in at the rear of the pickup bed, and we leave it there while it's running. We open the back window, and crack the windows on the sides of the topper.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Our rig is a TT behind an F150 with a topper on it. Generator is strapped in at the rear of the pickup bed, and we leave it there while it's running. We open the back window, and crack the windows on the sides of the topper.
Mine is a TT and pulled with a F150 as well but I have the hard cover so I can't do that.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:51 AM   #4

If it's a quiet inverter sit it under your rv awning when camping.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:54 AM   #5

I had an F150 and now an F250 both with a back flip hard bed cover. I chain my Predator generator in the bed and leave the tailgate open. I did have to take the wheels off the the genny to fit under the cover. I also use some flex pipe to redirect the exhaust away from the nose of the camper.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:02 AM   #6

[QUOTE=Marcm157;874327]I had an F150 and now an F250 both with a back flip hard bed cover. I chain my Predator generator in the bed and leave the tailgate open. I did have to take the wheels off the the genny to fit under the cover. I also use some flex pipe to redirect the exhaust away from the nose of the

I guess the only way I could do that is to unhook from the camper because there is not enough room to let the tailgate down before it hits the jack.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:09 AM   #7

[QUOTE=Jamyb01;874333]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I had an F150 and now an F250 both with a back flip hard bed cover. I chain my Predator generator in the bed and leave the tailgate open. I did have to take the wheels off the the genny to fit under the cover. I also use some flex pipe to redirect the exhaust away from the nose of the

I guess the only way I could do that is to unhook from the camper because there is not enough room to let the tailgate down before it hits the jack.
Can you rotate the jack head 90 degrees? Many here have done that to give them the additional clearance they needed for their tailgate to open while hooked up.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:09 AM   #8

Last weekend, got talking with a family next to us, generators came up when the CG lost power, he said he places his under his slide out. With the ac running he could not hear it. His is a predator 3400.

I too am looking to buy a genny for this fall. I'm thinking about building an insulated wood box, and a few little PC fans to keep it cool. My thought is more noise than weather.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:11 AM   #9

[QUOTE=Marcm157;874338]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamyb01 View Post

Can you rotate the jack head 90 degrees? Many here have done that to give them the additional clearance they needed for their tailgate to open while hooked up.
Don't think it will make a difference with the type jack I have
Old 07-11-2020, 08:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Last weekend, got talking with a family next to us, generators came up when the CG lost power, he said he places his under his slide out. He said with the ac running he could not hear it.

I too am looking to buy a genny for this fall. I'm thinking about building an I insulated wood box, and a few little PC fans to keep it cool. My thought is more noise than weather.
I've heard if you place it under the slide out that the fumes can get in but thats just what I've heard. And as far as noise goes I can tell you that you cannot hear the honda The only way you know its running is if the A/c is on lol
Old 07-11-2020, 08:31 AM   #11

Quote:
I've heard if you place it under the slide out that the fumes can get in but thats just what I've heard. And as far as noise goes I can tell you that you cannot hear the honda The only way you know its running is if the A/c is on lol
I would be very uncomfortable running a generator under my slide without extending the exhaust further out and a away from the rig..
Old 07-11-2020, 08:33 AM   #12

There is no way anyone could hear my generator if they are inside with the A/C on. These 13,500 roof units Jayco uses are louder than a shuttle take off.

As to the OP ... I have the same query and was hoping to find a great answer. Still searching, I am half considering custom making a canvas topper / shade that can be stretched bed rail to bed rail over the generator. Wouldn't be perfect.
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
There is no way anyone could hear my generator if they are inside with the A/C on. These 13,500 roof units Jayco uses are louder than a shuttle take off.

As to the OP ... I have the same query and was hoping to find a great answer. Still searching, I am half considering custom making a canvas topper / shade that can be stretched bed rail to bed rail over the generator. Wouldn't be perfect.
I'm leaving the hardware store with some pvc pipe and some fittings.. Gonna attempt to make something so ill post some pics if it works out.. My daughter plays travel softball so we take the camper to these events and I need something lite and quick just incase a thunderstorm rolls up which is quiet often here in north west Florida
Old 07-11-2020, 09:23 AM   #14

Quote:
I'm leaving the hardware store with some pvc pipe and some fittings.. Gonna attempt to make something so ill post some pics if it works out.. My daughter plays travel softball so we take the camper to these events and I need something lite and quick just incase a thunderstorm rolls up which is quiet often here in north west Florida
I made 2 square PVC frames with some uprights and a tarp over the top for my portable generator at home the frames are bulky and I didn't want to make a set for my portable Predator but they do work really well for my home unit.