Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2017, 08:49 AM   #1

Generator Questions

Hi folks. This is my first post/question to the forum. I have been lurking in the background reading your posts and answers and it has helped me with my RVing.
I am looking to purchase a single or pair of generators. I am looking at a pair of champion 2000's or the 3400. Both setups will provide adequate power for my needs. The 2 smaller units run at 53 db. The 3400 runs at 59 db. Both setups are about $1000.
Is it worth it to just by the single setup to avoid maintenance on the pair?
And the stupid question: if i run the 2 pair at 53 db each will the 59db be quieter.
Thanks for advice in advance!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Ed m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:02 AM   #2

How are you going to transport the gennies? We don't know a thing about your tow vehicle or towed vehicle
We went with a single 2000 Honda . We are not sure if we will need another unit or not with our small AC that we hardly use...but that is an aside.

What is important to us is the ease of loading/unloading in the bed of the truck as we space in the trailer is limited.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:08 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum.

First, there is a world of differences between the Champion 2000s and the 3400s. I believe the 3400 is 68db. Did you mean the 3100?

EDIT: Champion has both a 3400 INVERTER Generator and a 3400 Generator. I didn't see the Inverter Generator with my first search. The Inverter Generator is the one the Ed m is comparing with the Champion 2000.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Welcome to the forum.

First, there is a world of differences between the Champion 2000s and the 3400s. I believe the 3400 is 68db. Did you mean the 3100?
I have it listed on the website as 59 db at 23 feet. I did look at the 3100 but it is just slightly cheaper than the 3400 . It would work as well but id like to have some wiggle room.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
How are you going to transport the gennies? We don't know a thing about your tow vehicle or towed vehicle
We went with a single 2000 Honda . We are not sure if we will need another unit or not with our small AC that we hardly use...but that is an aside.

What is important to us is the ease of loading/unloading in the bed of the truck as we space in the trailer is limited.
Thanks Kim. I have an f150 with a full size bed so space is no problem. I also have a portable ramp so lifting could not be an issue. Unfortunately a single 2000 wont power my needs and im just wondering setup wise and maintenance wise what y'all think.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Ps i forgot to thank you for your fast response!

Old 02-02-2017, 09:38 AM   #7

Keep in mind that the decibel ratings are usually with the unit at or near idle, not under power. The Powerhorse that I have is listed at 52-61 db, 52 being idle and 61 at full power. When running the AC or high draw appliances like a toaster with a heating element, you will be closer to or at full power.

The advantage to having two 2000 watt generators is that you don't even need to start the second one unless you are running a high wattage appliance. You use less fuel and make less noise.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #8

Agree, I like my two 2000 watt Honda set up for the very reason that I can just run one of power is not required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andersen Ultimate 5ver Hitch
bzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #9

If it were me, and I ever needed that much power, I would go with the larger one.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #10

Generator Question

I use 2 Champion Inverter generators and will most likely never change this setup. When AC is not needed I run off one in Econ mode...it just sips fuel. One of the best investments I have ever made. The feature I really like is it automatically adjusts if you turn on an appliance that requires more power...no need to switch it out of Econ Mode. I have also had good reponse from Tech Support, had a problem with idle once...tech sent me a Carb, Control Module & Stator free. He may have been the exception but I sure was grateful. I installed the Control Module which fixed the issue, saving the other parts for when needed. I also use one generator when the home loses power, again it just sips fuel...ran a pellet stove, a lamp, small flat screen TV for 8 hrs on Econ Mode before refueling. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed m View Post
Hi folks. This is my first post/question to the forum. I have been lurking in the background reading your posts and answers and it has helped me with my RVing.
I am looking to purchase a single or pair of generators. I am looking at a pair of champion 2000's or the 3400. Both setups will provide adequate power for my needs. The 2 smaller units run at 53 db. The 3400 runs at 59 db. Both setups are about $1000.
Is it worth it to just by the single setup to avoid maintenance on the pair?
And the stupid question: if i run the 2 pair at 53 db each will the 59db be quieter.
Thanks for advice in advance!

Old 02-02-2017, 11:57 AM   #11

So I found this web page which may be helpful and answer a lot of questions:
COLEMAN 15000 btu RV ROOF AIR CONDITIONER Top Unit - $575.90

Note two things:
1) The chart about 1/2 down the page that shows the running watts needed at different outside temperatures. If you want to know why a "Hard Start" Capacitor is needed on an AC, look at the "Locked Rotor Cooling Amps" - this is the amps the AC draws for just a second on startup. If I did the math right that's over 8kw.

2) The other is in the diagram near the bottom of the page with the cutaway photo of the AC. One of those arrows confirms what my Dealer Service manager told me last year - all new Coleman Mach units are already shipped with a hard start capacitor (SMART MOVE Coleman!) And if you have an older unit, it's easy and cheap to add (or have your dealer add) a hard start capacitor. Haven't researched the Dometics and no, I don't know what year they started adding that feature - perhaps someone else here does.

As for me, I intend to purchase the 3200w/3500w Dual Fuel. I'll probably never run it on Propane while camping but I'll also use it as a home backup generator. And at home we're on a huge in ground Propane tank. I already have a propane quick disconnect outside the garage - I could run it for weeks without refueling.

As to getting it in/out of the truck bed, I'm adding a "Harbor Freight" 210lb winch to the ceiling of my garage.

One thing I can't figure out (unless it's a typo) is why the larger generators in this series get lighter? Have you noticed that? Look at the specs for the Champion dual fuel inverter generators - there are 3 of them - 3100, 3400 and 3500. They are all the same size. But the larger the wattage, the lighter the gross weight.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote