Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2015, 09:01 PM   #1

Get it together - What were they thinking?

Tire tread separated, took out some of my side panel above my sewer connection. Took my sewer connection cap off, and possibly finished breaking my grey tank pipe from my grey tank valve over to my black tank valve.

It's 2015, can't all manufactures figure out how to protect this stuff?

My boat trailer fenders are fairly thick metal and have a thick piece of wood between them and my boat. Can't Jayco and the rest figure out, after all these years, how to build in a minimum of protection on this stuff? I would prefer to have my valves and plumbing back at a minimum behind the plane of the frame. They, in my travel trailers case, are right behind the rear wheel - 6 inches behind the rear wheel. I feel I got lucky. It took out a small section of paneling above the rear tire. That will be the hardest to fix. It could have wrapped around my sewer pipe completely and took out my pipes to the black and grey tanks. Imagine being behind me if that happened - no, don't do that, it would not be pretty.

I am seriously thinking about buying a couple of standard trailer fenders from tractor supply and modifying them to fit up in my trailer. Worse case it tears up the fenders. I would also like to have my sewer outlet connection and black tank handle moved back behind my frame. I would have to lean in a few more inches to get to the cap/connection, but that would be better than this alternative. I will have to wait until after my warranty is done before I start a mod like this. I will have to get a quote to see what it's going to cost to get this fixed with cash or call my insurance company and let them take care of it.

Second "what the" question, why are trailers still coming with round toilets? I don't think I even need to explain that one. There is no way they are that much more cost when buying in bulk like these manufactures do. It's not rocket science.

I can't be the only one that has had this issue.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:52 PM   #2

Why get the insurance involved if it's still under warranty?If your tires were fully inflated and you didn't run anything over I would push for Jayco to pay the bill.A defective part under warranty took out other parts that are under warranty.
WrenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:50 AM   #3

I too would start with an e-mail to Jayco directly through the contact page. At the least they should get you 4 new tires since your in the first year of onwnership and I would write in with the other damage strongly pointing out your dissatisfaction with the whole incident.

Forget the tire warranty through the tire manf. They always seem to have an "out".

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #4

I have a tire monitor that warns me when a tire "event" occurs. It's saved me from that kind of damage twice. The key is getting stopped as quickly as possible before the thing flails the underside of the TT. I'm assuming it was a China made ST tire but do you know the brand?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #5

I feel your pain. The first thing I noticed was how close the tank valves are from the tires. You are right, a simple fender could save a LOT of trouble.

I will say this much though, Jayco puts metal (albeit THIN metal) in the wheel wells to lessen damage. Look at some other manufacturers, there is NOTHING to prevent excessive damage.
spoon059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrenZ71 View Post
Why get the insurance involved if it's still under warranty?If your tires were fully inflated and you didn't run anything over I would push for Jayco to pay the bill.A defective part under warranty took out other parts that are under warranty.
I was only 100 miles from my house where I had checked the tire pressure, so I know I had the correct pressure. I was on a straight road in the middle of nowhere with nothing in the road. I will ask, but I do not have high hopes for Jayco to step up on this one. My guess is 1 second after you take possession of anything, the wheels are no longer covered by a warranty from these manufactures. Any damage associated with the tires will be on the owner. I will give it a shot. Only thing they can say is no.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I have a tire monitor that warns me when a tire "event" occurs. It's saved me from that kind of damage twice. The key is getting stopped as quickly as possible before the thing flails the underside of the TT. I'm assuming it was a China made ST tire but do you know the brand?
I had a tire minder tire monitoring system before, but it kept loosing connection as I drove down the road. I saw the tire start to shred and was off the highway as soon as physically possible - couple hundred feet. I think the tires are Road King. The Discount Tire guy said he was surprised as the tire date was October 2013 - I bought the trailer it March of 2014.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
I feel your pain. The first thing I noticed was how close the tank valves are from the tires. You are right, a simple fender could save a LOT of trouble.

I will say this much though, Jayco puts metal (albeit THIN metal) in the wheel wells to lessen damage. Look at some other manufacturers, there is NOTHING to prevent excessive damage.
I don't see any metal under there. It did start to take out the plastic liner and some insulation directly above the tire. The metal it took out for me is the side paneling. The only real metal I can see is the frame.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
I was only 100 miles from my house where I had checked the tire pressure, so I know I had the correct pressure. I was on a straight road in the middle of nowhere with nothing in the road. I will ask, but I do not have high hopes for Jayco to step up on this one. My guess is 1 second after you take possession of anything, the wheels are no longer covered by a warranty from these manufactures. Any damage associated with the tires will be on the owner. I will give it a shot. Only thing they can say is no.
I did too,...Explain your situtation to Jayco and also go through the dealer. Let's just say that I was taken care of on a similar situation, but just ahead of the disaster that you unfortunately had. I too have a TPR system as well as 4 new Maxxis for this season.

Also the plywood Jayco uses vs the chipboard some others use saved you even further headaches. I have personally seen where the tire entered the trailer through the chipboard and torn it up.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
I had a tire minder tire monitoring system before, but it kept loosing connection as I drove down the road. I saw the tire start to shred and was off the highway as soon as physically possible - couple hundred feet. I think the tires are Road King. The Discount Tire guy said he was surprised as the tire date was October 2013 - I bought the trailer it March of 2014.
The two failures I had were in about a 75 mile stretch. A 3rd would have failed shortly. Replaced all 4 with Goodyear 614's, an LT tire. No more ST's for me. One of the failed tires was close to the 3 yr mark.
If your tire monitor was from Minder Research they now have a signal repeater. I had connection issues too and added the repeater (they call it a booster) and have had no connection problems since. I think their kits now include the repeater.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote