Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2016, 12:20 PM   #1

Getting mad at camping world for jayco problems.

I purchased a 2016 jayflight 287bhsw brand new from camping world. When doing the walk around we noticed that the slide did not close right. There was a large enough gap when closed at the end where you could stick your hand in it between the seal and trailer. They told me to take it out on a trip and find all of the problems and bring it back to get them fixed. I had it there 7 days. At day 7 they called saying they were done. When picking it up, I found out that they in fact did not fix it and there was some sort of miscommunication between techs. They said if I left it another day they could fix it. I had reservations the next day at a rv site with my family so they said I could take it and bring it back for a 2nd appointment. I am now on day 4 of the 2nd appointment and it sounds like they are now ordering parts to fix it. They told me a day or so but I’m on day 4 and need it again. I think I am going to have to make a 3rd appointment to get this fixed. This is getting old......
lpasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:06 PM   #2

Maybe it's me but I have never had anything fixed correctly at any Camping World. I now buy online or go to a dealer. There was a time when I really liked Camping World.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #3

The sad thing is they are the dealer and they sold me the trailer a little over a month ago brand new. Luckly i have a good friend who is a service manager at a camping world 600 miles from me and he made some calls and now management there is going to make sure i am taken care of. I have to make a 3rd appointment to get it fixed but they are going to fix it. I guess the plus side is i can make a appiontment this fall and they will have it long enough to do my winter storage all winter. lol
Old 07-14-2016, 01:35 PM   #4

I bought a StarCraft travel trailer last year from Bartow camping world at the Tampa RV show I need a few minor repairs and they kept me in the parking lot for four days. in the morning they would bring the trailer in and at night they would put it back in the parking lot for me to stay in. There wasn't a lot to repair. as I watched, the Tec was working on 4 units at the same time. I got to the point where I just said the ..... with it and left

Old 07-14-2016, 01:43 PM   #5

We had the same experience at the Spokane Camping World. Service dept lacks, considerably. I've latched onto one person now, and won't deal with anyone but him, so I have a history with him. It's sad it has to be that way. Glad you had someone to mediate for you.

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.” G.K. Chesterton
navymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #6

My first time in for warranty work it litèraly took three trips and six months to get every thing fixed. Camping world blamed it on Jayco taking a long time to authorize the repairs. Then once they were authorized they had to order parts then they had to wait for them to arrive. Which makes sense and seems logical. However it does not take six months. I took it in originally October 23 and after taking it in 3 times for them I finally picked up the last time March 15. I have no love for camping world. If it was Jayco as the holdup they should have been on the phone daily with them. They say they were sent the wrong parts blah blah blah. They never once called me to keep me updated. The only communication I got was if I called them except to come pick the unit. Earlier this summer my bathroom vent fan broke. Didn't take it in for warranty just replaced it myself to save myself the aggravatiion
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:24 PM   #7

My Jayco was in the shop for three and a half months. The Schwintek slide wasn't working right so I had them repair it at the end of the camping season. It was under warranty still and knew it was going to take time. They replaced the motors twice than the module twice and than Jayco/lippet sent them a who new kit, had them bench test it, and then install it. I was told that when I picked it up the service dept had to pay the bill which was around thirty six hundred dollars because it was more than 90 days when they sent in the invoice for payment. I hadn't purchased my trailer from them either. I have sent a number of friends there to get work done because they do a good job and I can see the frustrations that service depts. deal with parts taking forever to arrive and than being told your stuck with the bill because you never got prior authorization to bill past 90 days.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:38 PM   #8

I and our salesman were told at least 6 times total that our parts for the warranty work were ordered and were just taking a long time. I'd had enough and called the Jayco parts dept in Indiana, and Camping World had just ordered them the day before. 6 weeks after we had the walk-through. If your parts are taking too long, get the number off their website, and call yourself!

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.” G.K. Chesterton
navymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:36 PM   #9

Sounds like you all have really bad CWs in your area. My Albuquerque, NM CW has taken care of all my warranty work quite well. I would go back if needed as their service department is great. Sorry for all your bad CW experiences but all CW service department are not equal.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:54 AM   #10

Wow, I hate to hear all the bad stories about Camping World. I bought my Starcraft from their location in Katy Texas In Jan 2015. I've had it in for a couple of minor warranty items and have pretty much satisfied with the service they have given me. Maybe I'm just lucky.

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:13 AM   #11

I guess it's like they say, sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug

Old 07-15-2016, 05:36 AM   #12

I swore that I'd never spend another dime at Camping World after the CEO very publicly took a stand last year in favor of flooding our nation with illegal aliens.

They don't need my money, so I am not going to give it to them.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #13

I have enjoyed my experience with camping world in Utah I bought my trailer there and have had a couple warranty items come up and I had an appointment within a few days of when I called they fixed everything correctly the first time. Only complaint I have is that I had to call 3 days in a row to find out what was going on with the trailer without a return call finally I got through to the right guy and he said oh we were done with it yesterday come get it when you can.
Shorty120377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:50 PM   #14

That is exactly it. I dont care if they want to call me and tell me that i can go to hell, i just want them to communicate and let me know what is going on other than we will get back to you some day and never get back to me.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:44 AM   #15
Site Team

My opinion of CW is formed by their customer service, not a manufacturer. Not even Jayco involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:30 AM   #16

When we picked up our 5th, they rolled it out into the parking lot with a flat tire (with luck it was only needing a LOT of air), none of the tires had been checked at all and were not even close to mfg specs.

Then CW wanted to keep our unit an additional day (this was Fri and an extra day was Monday for pick up on Tues) since went they went to install the AC unit in the bedroom the "bolts not long enough". So I looked the Svc Mgr in the eye and said: Give me the exact size of bolt you need and I will drive ACROSS the street to Home Depot and pick you up 4 of them. Suddenly we got our RV back in the shop for air in the tires and the bolts magically appeared and we headed out on our 500 mi trip to home for work on Monday!

But wait, there's more: Anyhow you get the drift, they knew when we were coming and when we were arriving and MUST leave by date. They assured us that it would be ready. It was not, in fact we took it as is, never washed, cleaned in or out and with many issues.

That said, the people of CW Sales and Admin did all they could to help, knocked off a $1000 bucks for our headaches (and we had already got a well below market price), it was all on the shoulders of the Svc dept who was incompetent.

Not sure how CW is org'd. If like some auto dealers the Svc dept is privately owned. FYI some dealers ONLY own the sign (Jones Ford) and unless you buy a NEW Ford you are doing business with other companies for everything else albeit you do not know it.

I have no real issue with CW, still shop there and would get Svc at my local one, not the one where I bought my 5th...
'17 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback RE
'17 F 350 CC, LB SRW King Ranch
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS GONE!
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:51 PM   #17

Buying a camper is like building a house. If the camper or house is not ready do NOT take possession of the property!! once you take possession of something it takes forever, if ever to fix it. What seemed to be minor things are now major and nobody will want to deal with them! Happens almost every time. They try to force you to take it off the lot even if its not 100%. That's not a good idea.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
Not sure how CW is org'd. If like some auto dealers the Svc dept is privately owned. FYI some dealers ONLY own the sign (Jones Ford) and unless you buy a NEW Ford you are doing business with other companies for everything else albeit you do not know it.
I'm not sure how it works across the entire company, but our local CW is actually Olinger Travel Homes "dba Camping World." I remember when Olinger was a big RV dealer with commercials on the radio, etc. I thought they were gone, didn't realize they're still around but doing business as CW.

Our experience was ... price wasn't great, and when we asked through Costco we never heard back at all. I gave them an offer on our X213 based on conversations with dealers across Oregon and Washington, and they readily accepted. Clearly I offered too much, but whatever, it was still $7K under MSRP. We arranged a pickup date, and when we arrived the trailer was spotless, hooked up to utilities, ready for PDI. I gave them my Equalizer hitch I bought from Amzn and told them to install it for the price advertised in their circular, which apparently is quite a lot less than they'd prefer to have charged. The sales dept did repeatedly say that the service dept and retail parts shop are completely separate entities which just happen to be in the same building, but I played dumb and said I didn't care how they worked out the communication, just make it so. They did. We signed the paperwork and walked out where our truck was parked in the service bay with the trailer attached and ready to go. Got some questionable advice from the tech on how to operate and adjust the hitch ("adjust? shouldn't need to").

Aside from the usual car dealership smarmy, slimy vibe, it wasn't bad at all. I'd hate to find out what they'd offer for my nearly brand new X213 if I got a wild hair and decided I'd rather have a 23BHM.

It is nice to have an RV parts source relatively near by, and the prices suck but when they're on sale it's competitive. Hope I never have to find out if their service dept is any good. Up to a point I plan on fixing minor things myself.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #19

Same here in Colorado

I had an issue with my water heater in May. This was on a 6 month old TT. They told me that the first appointment they had was the end of July and to expect them to have it 4 weeks. I called every camping world in CO. Same story. I found an authorized dealer in Pueblo that did the work while I waited.

The best part was the CW tech told me he would bet my pay check that I had not de-winterized correctly.

Turns out the air flow tube was not set right and the thermal switch activated.

I wish I had purchased somewhere else.
ArvdaJayco is offline   Reply With Quote