Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #1

Gettysburg

Thinking about trip to Gettysburg PA then down to Williamsburg VA anyone made this trip ? Wondering best time of year and good place to stay with a Class C. Thought May might be best choice. I know it gets humid in summer.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #2

Gettysburg is an awesome place. If you're a history buff a day or two won't really cut it. Late spring - early summer are not bad, just be sure you don't go on July 4th week (thousands are there each year for the battle anniversary). Not trying to plug any particular campground (everybody has their favorites for their own reasons) but I've stayed several times at Artillay Ridge Campground, simply because it's just across the street from the park.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #3

Try looking here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g...ia-Hotels.html

Although it has been some years since we have been there, we stayed at the KOA and it was a good experience.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from Central Florida View Post
Gettysburg is an awesome place. If you're a history buff a day or two won't really cut it. Late spring - early summer are not bad, just be sure you don't go on July 4th week (thousands are there each year for the battle anniversary). Not trying to plug any particular campground (everybody has their favorites for their own reasons) but I've stayed several times at Artillay Ridge Campground, simply because it's just across the street from the park.
I am an avid KOA fan. However, Artillery Ridge Campground is the place to stay (Artillery Ridge Campground - Artillery Ridge Union Artillery Reserve Campground). We have stay there several times and the Gettysburg Visitor's Center is less than a 5 minute drive. Also, that RV spots are good sized, especially if you get in the back of the campground.

I would say 4 - 5 days would be good if you really like history and want to take advantage of all the free Ranger talks. We did about 2 - 3 a day. There is also the Eisenhower farm to see.

As for dinner, I recommend the Dobbin House (Dobbin House Tavern) for fine dining. As for a sport bar atmosphere we like the Appalachian Brewing Company (Gettysburg Battlefield – Appalachian Brewing Company). There beer is good, but their root beer is amazing.

I think the best time to go is September/October.

Bob
Bob, Marge and Whitney (German Shepard Dog)
Rafstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafstar View Post
I think the best time to go is September/October.

Bob

X2. That is a great time of year there. I have also visited several times in April and it is also great.

If you are hungry, stop by General Pickett's Buffet. Definitely not gourmet, but decent for the price and you are not going to leave hungry.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #6

We stayed at Gettysburg Campground and liked it. www.gettysburgcampground.com We stayed in the back at one of the sites that backs up to the creek that wraps around the campground. The sound of the water cuts down on the usual campground noise. We also stayed at Harper Ferry KOA when we went to Antietam Battlefield and liked it. Its just south of Gettysburg.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
If you are hungry, stop by General Pickett's Buffet. Definitely not gourmet, but decent for the price and you are not going to leave hungry.
X2.
MM is correct: it ain't gourmet, but it's been a Gettysburg staple for years and is worth a stop.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:27 PM   #8

Spring or Fall, both are great times to enjoy Gettysburg and Williamsburg. The battlefield is beautiful in the fall but one note October is very busy in Gettysburg campgrounds, most run 3 consecutive Halloween weekends. Williamsburg, we visited in mid summer and it is unbelievably humid.
Our go to in Gettysburg is Artillery Ridge. We go 3 or 4 times a year, the campground has direct access to the battlefield making it very convenient to explore with or without a toad.
For Williamsburg, we have stayed at both the KOA and American Heritage. Both were nice, if you are just looking for a home base American Heritage is the way to go cost wise. Staff was very friendly, sites were nice size and level. The KOA had its usual amenities geared towards younger children that our two young one's enjoyed, both are convenient to getting to Colonial Williamsburg attractions.

2021 F350 CCLB PSD
2016 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
ShaneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by che57vy View Post
Thinking about trip to Gettysburg PA then down to Williamsburg VA anyone made this trip ? Wondering best time of year and good place to stay with a Class C. Thought May might be best choice. I know it gets humid in summer.
Not any more humid then KY or TN. While up there might take a side trip over to Harpers Ferry MD. Lots of Civil Wars sites around there. Great place, Two rivers meet and form the Potomac there. Great views from the bluffs overlooking the confluence.
AF Don
Old 02-19-2018, 07:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by che57vy View Post
Not any more humid then KY or TN. While up there might take a side trip over to Harpers Ferry MD. Lots of Civil Wars sites around there. Great place, Two rivers meet and form the Potomac there. Great views from the bluffs overlooking the confluence.