Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #11

Well, we've now made three weekend trips with our new Greyhawk 31FK equipped with the tankless water heater. Over the last 20+ years, we have had propane or propane/electric water heaters in 19-foot TT, 27-foot TT, 32-foot 5er, and 8.5-foot camper.

The verdict on the tankless so far - we're ready to get a quote to pull it out and go for propane/electric if we can, if not, propane. The system wastes water and makes a lot more noise than traditional water heaters.

The best luck we have had with the tankless has been with city water connection. The kitchen water almost got hot enough to get the dishes clean.

Relying on the fresh water and pump, the shower is the only reliable hot water.

We like to do a lot of dry camping. That was a big part of Class C instead of Class A. Wasting water hoping it will get hot just isnt an option.

The dealer will be installing a slide awning next month. We will have them check out the tankless system, but will get an estimate for tank system, too.

Used it with Adventurer Camper, Montana 2955RL, and Jayco 25RKS TT
We've had pop-up, travel trailers, camper, and fifth wheel over the last 30+ years.
Waiting for spring to get back on the road!
Toby2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #12

Tankless Water heater - Girard

This is a followup to my earlier posting.

We have had our Greyhawk 31FK to the local Jayco dealer to have some warranty work done. One of the issues was to test the tankless water heater. The GM wouldn't let service handle our warranty work since we bought the RV from an out of state dealer. However, during the three weeks service had the unit they did check the Girard tankless water heater and reported to me that it was not delivering reliable hot water. After the Jayco dealer sent us on our way we worked with he new Camping World to make arrangements to complete the warranty work, inlcuding testing the Girard tankless system.

The Girard tankless water heater apparently performed to specifications, but Camping World acknowledged that the hot water was not reliable and agreed that the temperature fluctuations in the shower were too wide to allow our grandchildren to use. While connected to city water, and allowing a LOT of time they did get hot water to the kitchen sink and bathroom sink.

I have had several conversations with Paul Martin and a service rep at Girard. The Girar rep was to contact Camping World to discuss the testing, but we've never heard back. My latest conversations have been with Vin at Jayco Customer Service. Vin is handling things now. He described the "new" Girard unti that was supposed to solve the "old" Girard issues. On January 7, nearly a month ago, he told me that "Fred" at Girard would contact me within the next couple business days to discuss the issue and seek resolution. "Fred" was described as having worked for Atwood and that he wouldn't let the ball drop.

January 25, I tried to reach Vin at Jayco since I have not heard from Jayco or Girard. I left a message since he had left for the day and Paul Martin was on the phone with another customer.

Guess I will have to try calling again. Jayco doesn't seem to have much concern for Customer "Service"

Used it with Adventurer Camper, Montana 2955RL, and Jayco 25RKS TT
We've had pop-up, travel trailers, camper, and fifth wheel over the last 30+ years.
Waiting for spring to get back on the road!
Toby2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #13

My only concern would be being limited to propane only. I host in the summers and wouldn't want to pay for propane when electricity is "free". The temp fluctuations wouldn't be good either even if they could be eliminated with proper flow settings. Imagine the water wasted while getting it just right and if boondocking this just wouldn't work.

As far as the sound while the heater is working - who cares. It is bound to be hard to hear when in the shower and even if you can hear it, it will stop when you turn off the water.

I like my 12 gallon Suburban.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote